WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Do you carrry a handgun on the AT?

Voters
170. This poll is closed
  • I am a woman and I carry a handgun

6 3.53%
  • I am a man and I carry a handgun

43 25.29%
  • I am a woman and I do NOT carry a handgun

13 7.65%
  • I am a man and I do NOT carry a handgun

108 63.53%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    i think i love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana AT05 View Post
    You're a kangaroo packin' heat wearing a bandana.

<looks up>

Thank you Lord. My life's desires in one package.

Heh.
    i love you both

i love you too poot!

Images

I don't get it. I have no problem with guns, I grew up around them, have fired them on countless occasions. But, I have never been in a situation where I felt that I needed a gun, especially when hiking. So, why do people feel that they need a gun on the trail? Is it paranoia or just some macho thing?

I don't get it. I have no problem with guns, I grew up around them, have fired them on countless occasions. But, I have never been in a situation where I felt that I needed a gun, especially when hiking. So, why do people feel that they need a gun on the trail? Is it paranoia or just some macho thing?
    So, because you need, want, or do a thing, those who must be paranoid or have masculinity issues? Maybe they just think differently than you do, and if you really did grow up around guns, you would understand that.

I personally don't carry one while hiking, nor do I carry bear spray. But I don't need to ridicule those who do. No. I am too nice for that.

I save my ridicule for golfers!

Images

Uh-oh! Lone Wolf no longer love you!
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Uh-oh! Lone Wolf no longer love you!
    True love never lasts in my case, I always say too much.

Lone wolf, I shall always cherish our memories together, but it was either me or Golfing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    The detachable magazine is often referred to as a clip; such usage is frowned upon by many authorities on firearms but is nonetheless commonplace.[1][2]

don't you make your living off of semantics?
    No, I don't.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

So, because you need, want, or do a thing, those who must be paranoid or have masculinity issues? Maybe they just think differently than you do, and if you really did grow up around guns, you would understand that.

I personally don't carry one while hiking, nor do I carry bear spray. But I don't need to ridicule those who do. No. I am too nice for that.

Not really trying to ridicule, just trying to understand. And I'm not saying that if someone is carrying a gun I would even have a problem with that, I just don't understand why you would need one.

As far as growing up around guns, they were always at home, but they were used for hunting animals.

I just think that if I am going somewhere that I feel I would need a gun, then I probably wouldn't go.

So, why would you need a gun on the AT?

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBCS#1 View Post

Really, does it matter! Some like to, some are opposed. I couldn't care less!

Images

While I agree that a holster can be made to fit a pack belt, or perhaps vice versa, my comment was that it was not "easily" carryable, and the response establishes that. And any firearms safety instructor is likely to agree with me about the risk of carrying a LOADED revolver in a pack, loose, without a trigger guard. I'm sorry for the value judgment, but that's somewhere due south of plumb stupid. Frankly, I doubt there will be many pros who will endorse carrying a loaded automatic in a pack, either, even if there isn't one round in the chamber (which, of course, if you're carrying so you can get quick access in case of need, you'll probably want to have 'one up the snout.'

So all in all, we're talking about a fairly huge amount of discomfort, risk (if in a pack, loaded), and social issues, especially along the AT. The question from the OP wasn't "is it OK to carry a gun when I hike" but about having one for a thru-hike, i.e. 2200 miles for 7 months. While I see guns often here in the west, including along trails, I really doubt there are many carried by thrus along either the CDT or the PCT or similar trails.

And before all you NRA Lifetimers get all hissy about this, I was using Hoppe's to clean pistols, rifles and shotguns back when Ike was still a first-termer. The best self-defense tools along the AT are stomachs and feet: If you think you're in a bad situation, trust your gut and run.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Default Handguns

I don't feel the need to carry a handgun while hiking, but to each his own as long as they know how to carry and operate it safely.

Where I work we use to have an old man who always made a big deal about leaving his handgun in his truck while the truck was being worked on. I always told him no one would mess with gun. Eash time he came to pick up the truck he always made a big issue about not wanting anyone to mess with his hand gun. Finally I got tired of his rants and when he came in to big up his truck and asked if anyone messed with his gun I told him I shot off a few rounds and it shot low and to the left. He went nuts. I told him no messed with his gun and if he was that worried about it he should take it with him and not leave it in the truck.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    Really, does it matter! Some like to, some are opposed. I couldn't care less!
    It apparently does matter, since this topic comes up time and time again. I don't really care either, but am curious as to why someone would feel that they need to carry a gun.

Hey, just wanted to thank all of you for voting and posting your comments. I also thank you for keeping it friendly. The horse people on their forum did not do as well which confirms my belief that the nicest people I've ever met are AT hikers. :-)

So far the results are interesting...almost 40/60 on women whereas only 26% of men voting carry a gun. I wonder how many women on this forum are really reflective of the numbers folks on the trail? I remember that on just our two days on the trail in Oct, we met several couples and one lone woman hiker...a serious section hiker, a dad with a family of kids, a youth group, and a troop of boy scouts. It would seem the more serious folks, both thru and section hikers, hang out on this forum.

Any thoughts on the demographics?

Images

The demographics here bear no resemblance to those on the trail.

TW

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    The demographics here bear no resemblance to those on the trail.

TW
    Based on what?

Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but there's not much of a way to say one way or another.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    And any firearms safety instructor is likely to agree with me about the risk of carrying a LOADED revolver in a pack, loose, without a trigger guard. I'm sorry for the value judgment, but that's somewhere due south of plumb stupid.

The best self-defense tools along the AT are stomachs and feet: If you think you're in a bad situation, trust your gut and run.

TW
    Regarding the first pearl, above: you might acquire some specific knowledge about the specific firearm discussed before calling someone who actually knows what he's talking about stupid.

Regarding the second pearl, I would completely expect you to believe that your best course of action, when threatened, is to run. I strongly, in your case, suspect that you are correct.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBCS#1 View Post
    It apparently does matter, since this topic comes up time and time again. I don't really care either, but am curious as to why someone would feel that they need to carry a gun.
    Do you have car insurance? Health insurance? Life insurance?
    Are you curious about why those who do "feel they need to"?
    You don't need a gun until, and unless, you do. Just exactly like any other form of insurance.

20 of 83 polled carry. cool!

3) Revolvers in packs are dangerous if loaded, since shifting gear can cause an accidental firing, unless a trigger lock is in place, which makes immediate use even more difficult.

What are you packing that goes off accidentally due to shifting loads anyway. I've carried revolvers in much worse situations than backpacking and I have never ever had one go off accidentally. Maybe more imortantly for this website, just how is one packing their stuff that causes shifting loads anyway?

4) Automatics tend to be heavier than revolvers, but can be finicky in the presence of outside contaminants, e.g. pack crud. So they need to be in a case/holster/bag to protect them, including from water when it rains and your pack lets some water in. This also makes them harder to use quickly.

Automatics?? Sub pole here: how many people here actually own an "automatic" handgun? where did you buy it? How much was the extra (PC) FFL to own it?

6) Clips will hold from 8 (plus one in the snout) to 30-odd rounds. If you need more ammunition for any reason, you cannot mail it, and resupply is much harder that for other resupply items.

In true firearm ownership (NOT the urban dictionary definition), it's a "magazine". As an added feature with this term, you get the strength of the word "magazine". Sounds like yo got more ammo than someone with a "clip".

7) Carrying a firearm into some restaurants, stores hostels (particularly those operated by churches), libraries, and government buildings may be a criminal offense. This includes United States Post Offices (and other federal buildings) even if a valid CCW permit is held. Similar laws may apply to state and local government buildings. This can mean that it is necessary to leave a weapon with your pack or elsewhere, which can also be a violation of state laws (leaving a weapon in an unsafe location accessible to others) and is dangerous in any event, leaving aside the risk of loss.

Thank goodness we've disarmed the law abiding public. Now if we could rid the world of knives, ball bats, flammables, automobiles, hammers, chain saws, rope, criminals....whoops...sorry....

FYI-
    I do appreciate the efforts to inform here though and I do agree with the general "it ain't that great an idea" thing.....

Images

IMO I think the poll should also include

I am a man/woman, I have a CPL bud do not carry on the AT
    WalkingStick"75"

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++