WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Do you carrry a handgun on the AT?

Voters
170. This poll is closed
  • I am a woman and I carry a handgun

6 3.53%
  • I am a man and I carry a handgun

43 25.29%
  • I am a woman and I do NOT carry a handgun

13 7.65%
  • I am a man and I do NOT carry a handgun

108 63.53%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LimpsAlong View Post
    I'll address your points in order.
    without a trigger guard-I think almost all modern revolvers have a trigger guard. (I'm sure you mistyped)
    I doubt there will be many pros who will endorse carrying a loaded automatic in a pack, I'd put a condition 1 1911 in a washing machine and not worry about it going off.
    If you think you're in a bad situation, trust your gut and run
    Can you run 1000 FPS? If not you are liable to get a hole in your back.
    Limps:

First, thanks for the correction. I obvously meant a trigger lock. It was late. Thanks.

Second, if your 1911 is like all the rest of the model, as well as pretty much every other automatic, if you chamber a round into the barrel - which makes it "loaded" - then the trigger is active and the only thing keeping it from firing is trigger pressure. In a pack with "poky" things moving around as one walks, that's an invitation for disaster. Especially if, at the moment of the misfire, barrel is pointing at your own back or neck.

Third, of the few actual attacks that occur along the AT or the PCT, only a miniscule number involve the attacker being armed with a firearm. And in most situations, people will recognize that there is something "that doesn't feel right" well in advance. Advice has been given here - correctly - for years that "If you don't feel good about who is at a shelter, or a site, or that you're talking too, trust your gut and move on." That's good advice, better than carrying a gun. So is walking and running away.

I like guns, and have used them, I suspect, even longer than you, for enjoyment as well as protection. But packing one for a thru hike is, simply put, impractical, for the reasons I indicated above, as well as those which others have listed here in an environment that is far safer than most suburban neighborhoods where one walks in the afternoon.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by dgaf169 View Post
    Limpsalong, I respect your opinion in saying that I do not have many life experience but I feel you should know that I have been and avid outdoorsman since I was in the first grade. For the past 7 years I have been lucky enough to spend between 60 and 90 days afield a year. Due to my close proximity to the AT I would have to say about half of those days are spent on the AT. I am by no means saying this makes me an expert but I due believe it does at the very least validate my point that I stated in an earlier post. I am an avid hunter and gunowner as well as a firm believer in the 2nd amendment. I'm not telling people that they should or shouldn't carry guns on the AT. What I stated was "that in MY OPINION they are not needed." I will add to that that all of my experience on the AT has been in VA, WV, MD, and PA. If there is indeed a need for a firearm on other parts of the trail, I would like to know about it.
    Thanks!!
    You still don't get it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    you really should care. she can have an opinion on serious business if she wants to. her opinion may be right, it may be wrong, but she's damn well allowed to have it. that's the beauty of life and what makes being in america great. my opinion is that your post was extremely harsh and unnecessary. I want to hear her opinion so shut up so i can hear it. see i can be rude too. have a nice day.
    The Weasel agrees with Kanga.

Jesus, it is said, taught his elders in the Temple, when he left Mom and Pop on the ride left home. The Dalai Lama was enthroned at 15, and 'thru hiked' to India one step ahead of the Red Chinese a year later, and has been 'teaching' ever since. (I realize, though, that he may actually be considered to have thousands of years of "experience" due to reincarnation. Still, he was just 16.

SL has the right here to (1) have opinions, (2) express them, and (3) be wrong about them or (4) sometimes right. I enjoy them and hope she won't stop. Especially there is any chance she is either the Messiah or the future 15th Dalai Lama. Even if not, I hope she keeps on with them.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Limps:
    Second, if your 1911 is like all the rest of the model, as well as pretty much every other automatic, if you chamber a round into the barrel - which makes it "loaded" - then the trigger is active and the only thing keeping it from firing is trigger pressure. In a pack with "poky" things moving around as one walks, that's an invitation for disaster. Especially if, at the moment of the misfire, barrel is pointing at your own back or neck.

A 1911 is single action so you need to pull the hammer back before you can fire even if you have one chambered. Also the 1911 has a half cock where you can have the hammer locked in the middle so it cant be fired. There is a normal thumb safety to keep the gun from firing. Also the 1911 has the back grip safety that has to also be depress before firing.

I'm not trying to say it's not possible but for a 1911 it is not as likely as say a glock.
    21.1% Done

Images

"Especially there is any chance she is either the Messiah or the future 15th Dalai Lama." LMAO! nope!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

Default 1911

Limps:
    I like guns, and have used them, I suspect, even longer than you, for enjoyment as well as protection.
    TW
    You MAY have used them longer but anyone who spends any amount of time around firearms and others who own firearms know well the mechanical safeties found on the 1911.
    Slugger named almost all the safeties on a 1911. (barrel link)
    I stand by the "washing machine" scenario.
    Long ago I saw a range master chamber a round and throw the 1911 like a bowling ball down the firing line. That demonstration, plus carrying one for the last 21 years, has made a believer out of me about the mechanical safety of the 1911.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Images

Default Ok

you really should care. she can have an opinion on serious business if she wants to. her opinion may be right, it may be wrong, but she's damn well allowed to have it. that's the beauty of life and what makes being in america great. my opinion is that your post was extremely harsh and unnecessary. I want to hear her opinion so shut up so i can hear it. see i can be rude too. have a nice day.
    She did not have an opinion on "serious business". She had an opinion on a post I made to another. It had nothing to do with the topic. Come to think of it, neither does yours.
    YOU have a nice day too!

Images

Thanks very much Kanga.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Quote Originally Posted by LimpsAlong View Post
    She did not have an opinion on "serious business". She had an opinion on a post I made to another. It had nothing to do with the topic. Come to think of it, neither does yours.
    YOU have a nice day too!
    okay, from now on we will both only have opinions on things you deem worthy. thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Thanks very much Kanga.
    welcome, girlfriend

Images

Default ?

okay, from now on we will both only have opinions on things you deem worthy. thank you for your input.
    Finally !! Thats all I've been asking for.

DING..........round three!

Images

So where's the eye candy carrying the round card?

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    So where's the eye candy carrying the round card?
    i can't be in both places at once.

Journal Entries

Limps:

First, thanks for the correction. I obvously meant a trigger lock. It was late. Thanks.

TW
    First, if memory serves correct you were referencing the firearm I linked to. It neither has nor needs a trigger a guard; so I'm pretty sure thats what you meant. It's a pretty unigue piece...

Second, it's hard to imagine how you could be more wrong about the 1911 and many other semi-autos (the Browining Hi-Power, my fave 9mm, comes instantly to mind).

Third- you've evidently done a lot of research on gun law; and really done us all a favor doing so. I only wish you would do the same kind of research concerning individual gun models and their safety features.

TD55 exactly what is it that I "don't get?"

Quote Originally Posted by dgaf169 View Post
    TD55 exactly what is it that I "don't get?"
    There is no wrong or right on this topic. Whether to carry a weapon on the trail is a personal decision. Once a person considers the negatives and positives it is up to them to decide.

The problem with alot of you people on here is you heap all pro-gun advocates into one pile! I was born and raised in the north but live in the south as have all my generations before me and the term "hillbilly" is used tooo loosely!! We are not allll a bunch of ignorant morons who do not know how to handle a weapon, or if we do, are not a bunch of trigger happy imbeciles! My husband has a concealed carry permit and you would never know if he was carrying or not, but you would be damn glad to be in his presence if someone were threatening you! Also the whole point of carrying is to be prepared IF or WHEN it might happen! There is too much evil going on in the world to put on rose-colored glasses and believe nothing will ever happen to you, but to be prepared for it if it does!! Also to put a gun in your backpack instead of on your person where it can be easily accessed is shear stupidity......Whoever said Meredith would not have benefited from having a weapon is wrong and I bet her family would disagree with you also. It would have gave her a fighting chance, if she knew how to handle a weapon.....

Gotta Leave this House DylonHike's Avatar

When i thru hike the AT in the next year i will be planning on having a .45 handgun with me. I shoot occasionally with my dad in the mountains (he has his concealed permit) and i know how to use one and clean one.

Its not that i feel i will need to use one but if if there is a slight chance that the opportunity will present itself then i feel like i should carry. you never know what will happen so its better to be prepared.

And if i somehow stumble off the trail or get hurt and need to find food, well i can always shoot something

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    There is no wrong or right on this topic. Whether to carry a weapon on the trail is a personal decision. Once a person considers the negatives and positives it is up to them to decide.
    Um, actually, that's pretty close to eaxactly what dgaf169 said.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++