WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Do you carrry a handgun on the AT?

Voters
170. This poll is closed
  • I am a woman and I carry a handgun

6 3.53%
  • I am a man and I carry a handgun

43 25.29%
  • I am a woman and I do NOT carry a handgun

13 7.65%
  • I am a man and I do NOT carry a handgun

108 63.53%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

http://www.swissminigun.ch/home.html

Now there's absolutely no reason the ultralight backpacker can't pack heat on the trail... except for the fact that it's illegal to import into the USA. So, there's no reason the Canadian, French, Swiss, and perhaps Middle Eastern ultralight backpacker can't pack heat on the trail. Check it!

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne3325 View Post
    Someimes I carry a gun, sometimes I don't. I hike my own hike and live my own life. The weight does not bother me and is not an issue. I have never felt threatend by any person on the trail, but I doubt Merideth felt threatened either until it was too late. Varying laws are of little concern to me for if I am ever placed in a position to use the gun my life will be more important than any law. When I do carry I keep it covered up so no one may become 'offended'. I don't really care what other people think but I will give them the same respect for their opinions that I expect them give me for mine.
    x2 I have the Ruger LCP and it fits perfectly in my hip belt pouch when I do carry.

Images

Someimes I carry a gun, sometimes I don't. I hike my own hike and live my own life. The weight does not bother me and is not an issue. I have never felt threatend by any person on the trail, but I doubt Merideth felt threatened either until it was too late. Varying laws are of little concern to me for if I am ever placed in a position to use the gun my life will be more important than any law. When I do carry I keep it covered up so no one may become 'offended'. I don't really care what other people think but I will give them the same respect for their opinions that I expect them give me for mine.
    Agreed. Not to re-hash that tragedy, but I doubt it woulda helped her. I certainly don't think having every day-hiking college student packing heat is a good or safe situation.

If someone wants to kill you, they've got pretty easy opportunities to do so whether you're carrying or not on trail. You gonna bring it with you while you dig a cathole? While you're filtering water? While blowing up your pad? The opportunities are endless. I can't really picture a situation on trail where one would help anyone, but I still respect people's right to carry if it makes them feel better, I just don't get it.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

I gotta disagree with ya on the dangers of carrying a revolver inside a pack -- it would take an awful lot for somethiing in the top of your pack to shift and actually pull back the hammer or the trigger ona revolver.

Carrying a gun on your hip with a pack...isn't easy, carrying it in the pack seems futile, at least while hiking...but they make other ways to carry a concealed weapon and have it accessable on the outside of your pack....

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

My two cents....

Carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.

And in respect to Weasel's post: Its not a clip, its a magazine. Unless its a Garand, then its a clip.
    Adventure is the invitation to the common person, to become uncommon. ~ wm
    Bivouac is a French word for "mistake". ~ Ed Viesturs

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    I was kind of exaggerating to make a point, but next time I'll refer to them as "unsavory characters who may wish to do me harm" so as not to offend anyone. I also apologize for the use of the word "bear" if that annoyed anyone. I should have said "Ursus Americanus." On second thought, maybe I WILL carry my gun next time in case I run into a Weasel.
    Just remember, if you shoot a lawyer, you may have a hard time getting another one to defend you. And no, the jury won't acquit you; judges are lawyers too!

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by makoboy View Post
    My two cents....

And in respect to Weasel's post: Its not a clip, its a magazine. Unless its a Garand, then its a clip.
    I've used clips for revolvers for 50 years. They hold a full set of cartridges so I don't have to load each round separately.

As for what carrying a gun is supposed to be like, great. So be comforted, for 2200 miles. And uncomfortable.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    I've used clips for revolvers for 50 years. They hold a full set of cartridges so I don't have to load each round separately.

As for what carrying a gun is supposed to be like, great. So be comforted, for 2200 miles. And uncomfortable.

TW

Got me on that one....Garands, and full and half moons for revolvers. But it doesnt sound when you say it.
    Adventure is the invitation to the common person, to become uncommon. ~ wm
    Bivouac is a French word for "mistake". ~ Ed Viesturs

TW
    do you remember the thread on the dead spelunker where the definitions of caver vs. spelunker were defined?...

Magazine (firearms)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

A staggered-column 9x19mm pistol magazine.

A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a repeating firearm. Magazines may be integral to the firearm (fixed) or removable (detachable). The magazine functions by moving the cartridges stored in the magazine into a position where they may be loaded into the chamber by the action of the firearm. The detachable magazine is often referred to as a clip; such usage is frowned upon by many authorities on firearms but is nonetheless commonplace.[1][2]

don't you make your living off of semantics?

As I posted on WhiteBlaze before, I have been around and handled firearms all of my life and am comfortable with them. BUT, I see no need to carry one myself the AT. Some people feel safer with them, and I understand that.

But if you do feel the need to pack a barking iron on the trail, do yourself and everyone else a favor and keep it out of sight and shut up about it. Nothing worse (and dangerous) than an idiot waving one around and bragging about it.

Just remember, if you shoot a lawyer, you may have a hard time getting another one to defend you. And no, the jury won't acquit you; judges are lawyers too!

TW

I'm such a horrible shot, you wouldn't have anything to worry about. I'd have a better chance of hitting you if I just threw the bullet...another reason why I'm probably better off leaving the weight at home.

Journal Entries

Whatever one's feelings about guns, the following sums up most of the practicalities:

1) If by "gun" one includes long guns and shotguns, they are far too heavy and will terrify most other people along the trail, especially out of hunting season.

2) Handguns usually can't be carried easily in belt holsters by backpackers, and so must be carried inside a pack or, perhaps, in chest or thigh holsters, both of which make backpacking much harder. That makes "external carries" impractical for long hiking trips, but it also makes them inaccessible in the event they are needed while walking.

3) Revolvers in packs are dangerous if loaded, since shifting gear can cause an accidental firing, unless a trigger lock is in place, which makes immediate use even more difficult.

4) Automatics tend to be heavier than revolvers, but can be finicky in the presence of outside contaminants, e.g. pack crud. So they need to be in a case/holster/bag to protect them, including from water when it rains and your pack lets some water in. This also makes them harder to use quickly.

5) Most modern automatic pistols will weigh about 1.5 pounds unloaded. A full clip will add about another pound, and holstering/cases will add about 1 more. That means that the weight for a pistol will be about 3-4 pounds, or roughly 10% of packweight. That's a very major addition.

6) Clips will hold from 8 (plus one in the snout) to 30-odd rounds. If you need more ammunition for any reason, you cannot mail it, and resupply is much harder that for other resupply items.

7) Carrying a firearm into some restaurants, stores hostels (particularly those operated by churches), libraries, and government buildings may be a criminal offense. This includes United States Post Offices (and other federal buildings) even if a valid CCW permit is held. Similar laws may apply to state and local government buildings. This can mean that it is necessary to leave a weapon with your pack or elsewhere, which can also be a violation of state laws (leaving a weapon in an unsafe location accessible to others) and is dangerous in any event, leaving aside the risk of loss.

8) Handguns tend to be expensive, with prices for automatics ranging from a few hundred dollars into the thousands. This makes a handgun a very expensive part of your gear.

These are simply practicalities: Carrying a gun for a thru hike is very, very difficult.
    Weasel, even as person who carries I agree with almost all of your post.

I disagree with (2), though. There are several excellent ways to carry on a pack belt; most require some minor modifications to the belt, holster, or both. (3) seems to ignore single-action revolvers. You also ignore simply carrying a gun in your pocket.
    My answer to some of the challenges you outline above starts here: http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us .
    Weight loaded is less than 10 ounces. The "firing pin" is actually a blade-like protrusion extending from the hammer; when rigged for carry this blade fits into product-unique slots milled into the cylinder between each chamber. This means both that the gun can be not just dropped without risk of misfire but actually mounted in a vise and beaten repeatedly with a sledge hammer without risk of firing. Being functionally %100 stainless steel, rust is not an issue......

Quote Originally Posted by makoboy View Post
    My two cents....

Very good! the old M-1... Many people still refer it (a mag) to a clip though. I cringe when I hear it. But I don't correct them cause too many people call a mag that.

Journal Entries

Hello again ShLep.
    "And it is hard to distinguish between who is or isn't responsible. So on the whole, I'm more comfortable when people don't carry guns."

You're absolutely right. In addition, one of the things I tried to teach my students is the importance I attatch to the idea that a concealed weapon should be exactly that. No one except your spouse (or such) should be aware you even know what a gun is, much less that you carry one. My belief is that it should be "hard to distinguish between who is or not" carrying in the first place.
    The only way you would know I'm carrying is to reach in my pocket.
    Your advice about not backing down? I think you rock...

Journal Entries

When did you get your wings? I was in the first class to jump at Benning in '72....
    If I wasn't almost 20 years sober I'd have said "I'll drink to that" when I read your post.

Gotta Leave this House DylonHike's Avatar

ill be strapped with a .45
    better safe than sorry

A lot of folks carry out here in Montana. See it on the trail all the time, rifles included. It's not a problem.

And if you carry the right handgun, a bear won't be shoving it up yer arse. But that was a funny joke!

As for "terrifying" people by carrying a rifle? Oh my, haven't we become the metro-sexual pansy country of all times. /facepalm

I'm more afraid of people hauling Sierra club literature than a man packin' heat. And if I have a choice of camp sites, one populated by guys with guns and the other with white guys sporting dreadlocks...well, pass the ammo boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Montana AT05 View Post
    A lot of folks carry out here in Montana. See it on the trail all the time, rifles included. It's not a problem.

And if you carry the right handgun, a bear won't be shoving it up yer arse. But that was a funny joke!

As for "terrifying" people by carrying a rifle? Oh my, haven't we become the metro-sexual pansy country of all times. /facepalm

I'm more afraid of people hauling Sierra club literature than a man packin' heat. And if I have a choice of camp sites, one populated by guys with guns and the other with white guys sporting dreadlocks...well, pass the ammo boys!
    i think i love you.

i think i love you.
    You're a kangaroo packin' heat wearing a bandana.

<looks up>

Thank you Lord. My life's desires in one package.

Heh.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++