I did a little research on this before posting, but another discussion on a horse forum about carrying handguns for self protection has me wondering how many AT hikers feel it necessary to carry a handgun while hiking? My impression is that most here do not approve of carrying guns but I thought it would be interesting to see how many do and by gender.

I did some research and there have been like 9 murders through 2008 on the AT. That's not so bad when you figure there are probably 9 murders in one night in New York City.

First off I'm going to state that I am not against anyone's right to own or carry a gun. I am a veteran and I have served in a war...yes, I am also a woman. Not too many of us who can say that but after the last few decades, more and more can.

Anyway, I have carried bear spray on the AT but it never occurred to me to consider carrying a handgun or a concealed handgun. I worry more about the possibility of accidents or accidental shootings than I'd worry about someone assaulting me. Generally I do not hike alone but with my husband. I suppose if I were alone, that might change my thoughts a bit.

Anyway, I'd appreciate a friendly discussion on the topic.