WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Do you carrry a handgun on the AT?

Voters
170. This poll is closed
  • I am a woman and I carry a handgun

6 3.53%
  • I am a man and I carry a handgun

43 25.29%
  • I am a woman and I do NOT carry a handgun

13 7.65%
  • I am a man and I do NOT carry a handgun

108 63.53%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    And for example the lower receiver of the AR-15 and the M-16 might look the same, the AR-15 is missing a particular hole in the receiver that allow the installing of the auto sear.
    Except if you have a lightning link which installs in semi-auto receivers that do not have the receiver block.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Aren't "semi-automatic" weapons modified "automatic" weapons with a design modification implemented to make them "semi-automatic"?
    I've answered this four times and had start over each time; but I think the best answer is: no, it's actually more like the other way around. Certainly most semi-autos can be "converted", usually with half-assed results. Actually did that by accident once- my gunsmith Geoff and I polished and lightened and polished and lightened a Volquartsen trigger we had put in a Ruger slabside until it no longer properly engaged the sear and it went full auto on me when I took it to the range to test it. Shot 6-7 rounds in a fast stacatto and then jammed . Kept jamming Geoff did something to it, told me to quit (*&%&*-ing with it

For firearms chat here is a link to a gun forum http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/

I though the original post was about carrying guns on the AT, maybe i misunderstood the question.

Cheers

I carry day to day but never while hiking...it's the safest thing that I do!

geek

Images

Default ok

Quote Originally Posted by Cheers View Post
    For firearms chat here is a link to a gun forum http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/

I though the original post was about carrying guns on the AT, maybe i misunderstood the question.

Cheers
    Uh Oh, you are right. Thanks for the reality check.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Images

Quote Originally Posted by randyg45 View Post
    First, if memory serves correct you were referencing the firearm I linked to. It neither has nor needs a trigger a guard; so I'm pretty sure thats what you meant. It's a pretty unigue piece...

Second, it's hard to imagine how you could be more wrong about the 1911 and many other semi-autos (the Browining Hi-Power, my fave 9mm, comes instantly to mind).

Third- you've evidently done a lot of research on gun law; and really done us all a favor doing so. I only wish you would do the same kind of research concerning individual gun models and their safety features.
    Folks, I've practiced law, and shot guns (including the 1911) for a long, long, time. "I didn't know it was loaded" and "The safety was on" are two of the saddest words anyone can hear, and I don't care how much "rangemasters" have done stupid things in your presence. I only have to be right once for a tragedy (and one that's avoidable) to happen. You can't afford to be wrong once.

Best advice about firearm safety that I've ever gotten was from a smart guy with even longer experience with guns, my Dad: "Every gun is loaded. Even if you're sure it's not. No gun has its safety on. Even if you're sure it is." A truly unloaded handgun in a backpack is impractical, and a loaded one is dangerous.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

A lawyer, in California...it all makes sense now!

Guns are good. Mmm mmm mmm.

Images

If you want to carry a gun on the trail, then go ahead and carry one. In my humble opinion it is not needed, and makes the possibility of an accidental shooting more likely.

Does anyone know of any documented cases where a person used a gun to prevent or thwart an attack on the AT?
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Montana AT05 View Post
    A lawyer, in California...it all makes sense now!
    And one who has used and owned guns - including hand- and long-guns - probably longer than you've been alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana AT05 View Post
    Guns are good. Mmm mmm mmm.
    Guns are not good. Guns are not bad, either. Guns are things. People? Those are good, or bad, but never things.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

No, I've never heard of such a case.

And sorry, the "If you wanna carry one, go ahead" argument overlooks the fact that in many cases on the Trail, it is clearly illegal to carry a firearm.

Better to say "If you want to carry one, fine, but be aware of associated local, state, and Federal laws that apply, and be aware that you are responsible for both knowing these laws, and obeying them."

I have nothing but respect for law-biding gun owners and gun carriers.

There's a name for non law-abiding gun rs and carriers.

These people are called "criminals".

Meant to say "gun owners and carriers."

Journal Entries
    Images

Anyone know how many of the five thru hikers who have been killed on the AT were slain with an illegal hand gun?

Images

And sorry, the "If you wanna carry one, go ahead" argument overlooks the fact that in many cases on the Trail, it is clearly illegal to carry a firearm.

Better to say "If you want to carry one, fine, but be aware of associated local, state, and Federal laws that apply, and be aware that you are responsible for both knowing these laws, and obeying them."
    You are right, Jack. Thanks for the correction.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

I support the second ammendment and understand the reasoning behind it, but see no need to carry the extra weight and ammo on a long hike unless the crime rate goes up significantly.

the paranoia, ignorance and knowitallism in this thread is awesome. kinda like avid sports fans who critique games and players but have never actuall played the sport

Does anyone know of any documented cases where a person used a gun to prevent or thwart an attack on the AT?[/quote]

Several years ago while camping along Noonatoola not far from the trail, I used a gun to run off some college kids who snuck into my campsite and were trying to steal my beer from a cooler. I didnt document anything and I doubt they did either. I also doubt they quit running until they made it off the mountain.

I agree with garlic..as a gun owner, user and hiker I see no reason to carry a sidearm of any type on a trail as well traveled as the AT. Now if you are talking bear country (I mean grizzlies not black) then you bet I think a large bore high power hand cannon is just as essential as toilet paper.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Thanks Beakerman - actually, bear spray/pepper spray actually may be the better option instead of a side arm -it doesn't weigh as much and there is less to keep up with (cleaning the wepaon, keeping track of rounds, etc.)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    ... I see no reason to carry a sidearm of any type on a trail as well traveled as the AT. ....
    Plenty of stretches on the AT this week where you would pretty much be the only hiker out there, and almost certainly have the shelter all to yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Folks, I've practiced law, and shot guns (including the 1911) for a long, long, time. "I didn't know it was loaded" and "The safety was on" are two of the saddest words anyone can hear, and I don't care how much "rangemasters" have done stupid things in your presence. I only have to be right once for a tragedy (and one that's avoidable) to happen. You can't afford to be wrong once.

Best advice about firearm safety that I've ever gotten was from a smart guy with even longer experience with guns, my Dad: "Every gun is loaded. Even if you're sure it's not. No gun has its safety on. Even if you're sure it is." A truly unloaded handgun in a backpack is impractical, and a loaded one is dangerous.

TW
    Weasel, this is exactly what I was trying to say in another thread about guns. But I gave up- no one you are talking to will listen. (Just like you said, sure, many people who have guns are responsible. But there are stupid people out there, there are people who don't know what they're doing, there are people who drink before deciding to show off with their guns, there are accidents.)

Well said, Weasel.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++