WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: England vs USA

Default England vs USA

Just watched the World Cup draw with a wry smile as we drew the USA in our group with the game scheduled for June 12th. My thru-hike will turn into a walk of shame if England lose!

Watching England's World Cup games in another thing I have to factor in my planning. I doubt many others are, but I have found soccer to be a common language that has allowed me to make new friends in my many travels around the world. I visited a buddhist monastery in Thailand not so long ago and all the monks wanted to talk about was football! I hope to watch the England USA game with some newly found American friends as I am passionate about football as I am hiking.

About when are you starting? You will probably be well into VA by that time so you should be able to find better populated bars and pubs. Worse case scenario, you and your fellow football enthusiatic hiker friends get a hotel room and watch the game on the TV.

Good draw for the both, England and the USofA.
    Yahtzee

I start on the 15th of March so hope to be a bit further north of VA by then (if I remember my American geography rightly). I read the journals of an Englishman who did a NOBO thru-hike during the last World Cup; trying to watch the games became an adventure of it's own for him... hoping it will be the same case for me!

The first World Cup I ever "really" experienced was 2002. I had just moved to Lisbon, and team USA beat Portugal. I felt darts shooting out of my neighbors' eyes for about a month or so. Eurocup 2004 made me into a diehard Portugal supporter. I'm sure tintin's memories of World Cup 2006 aren't as fond as mine

Then again, Portugal got very unlucky in the draw today. Group G is nothing but trouble.
    The older I get, the more I want to know.

Images

You should wear a replica jersey on the trail!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I'm sure you received some cold stares! There is a sense of shame in losing to the US as it's not your national pastime as it is for many other countries.

Both Euro 2004 and WC 2006 saw us lose to Portugal on penalties so not fond memories at all. The English are notorious for going put on penalties and hope we can avoid it this time round! Portugal will do well to qualify from that group - not the team they were.

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    You know, my Portugal jersey with the big Figo #7 on the back is some kind of Nike wicking something or another

Then again, it's not something I want covered in trail funk either
    The older I get, the more I want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    That's not such a bad idea. I did a big cycle trip in SE Asia and used a replica shirt for most of the way. It served me admirably as it had cooling properties when I sweated.

Amateur lexicologist here: Is "going put" a phrase like the American "****ting the bed"?
    Yahtzee

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    Amateur lexicologist here: Is "going put" a phrase like the American "****ting the bed"?
    nope - just a careless typo - should have read "going out"

Sorry

Images

Default americanism

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    nope - just a careless typo - should have read "going out"

Sorry
    Sort of like we might say, going Landon Donovan! (on PKs)
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

GO USA! good luck on your thru...hope to see you on the trail!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

That's why NOBO thru hikes are done by the end of October. So we can watch football!
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I have no doubt that by June you'll be able to adjust your pace so you arrive at a pub showing the game just before kick-off. Of course, finding places that will be showing the other English games could be a bit dicey, and finding a pub in central Pennsylvania serving a decent bitter will be even harder!

If you decide to not ruin an authentic English jersey during your hike, then you should at least sew St. George's Cross on your pack. You could even sew/write in the scores for each game!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Default Scarlet Lady

Click http://www.stoudtsbeer.com/brewery_s...flag-ship.html and then Scarlet Lady Ale, 3rd option from the left to display a page with detailed information. It's available at many locations where local microbrews are sold.

Fat Dog Imperial Oatmeal Stout from the same source is good too. Stoudt's also makes a good IPA which flows from a tap in some locations including the town nearest to where I live.

Their seasonal Winter Ale is an interesting offering unlike what I described elsewhere since they alternate their recipe from one year to the next. This year it's an interesting red ale.

Another soccer fan here. I'm going to try to sked my duncannon to harpers ferry section before the world cup starts, if the workplace gods smile on me. if not, maybe I'll see you at the pubs.

Hello fellow Englishman. I too will be following the world cup closely stateside. I've been living in rural Maine now for 6 years (post hike) and watched the last one on TV. It was all but impossible to go out an watch it at a bar, but i had plenty of choices on the home TV. You might get lucky and find a bar to see the game if you're in a big town/city, but your best bet will probably be a motel room. Don't be sucked in by the Setanta pay per view deal, through careful channel browsing i managed to watch all the games for FREE (apart from the initial statalite fee of course).

Good luck, i hope you get to watch the games. I really miss being in an English pub and shouting at the screen. Being alone at home is not quite the same. Hopefuly you'll meet some fellow hikers who, if nothing else, would love to sit in a motel and get drunk with an Englishman while watching skinny blokes kick a ball around.

Cheers

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

If you are passing thru Maryland on that date, you just need to take rte 40 or I70 west to Frederick Maryland (about 20 minutes drive from the AT) , and go to Bushwallers Pub. It's an Irish-American Pub, and they will definitely have the World Cup showing. Good beer selection on tap as well. And the fish & chips are great!

And then you can go to the English store across the street & stock up on English tea and Marmite!

Call up a local bar and ask that it be shown, who knows, it might become a tradition there. If the bar says yes, tell them you and X number of people will be done to enjoy the show, drinks and food.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Stoudt's also makes a good IPA which flows from a tap in some locations including the town nearest to where I live.
    Stoudt's makes an excellent Imperial (or Double) IPA which you've got to try if it is available.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++