WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default smoking/dipping on the trail

As a dislaimer....i know its a horrible habit....please dont judge me. Especially since i'm an icu nurse and see its deadliness every day. However, I have used some form of tobacco since i was 14. Through multiple years in the army, middle east deployments, and years of late night studying in college, and many traumatic experiences it has been the one constant in my life. Cigarettes for many years, but now mostly snuff. When I was on the trail before there were a good number of smokers smoking away. However I would really like to taked this oppurtunity to quit once and for all. At least cigarettes and dip. I'll always have the occassional pipe or cigar. Has anyone else dealt with this? Anone able to quit while hiking? anyone not able to kick the habit despite the added expense and weight?

Its especially ironic becasue i often tell my girlfriend one of the reasons for doing this is i somehow believe this will make me a healthier person for years to come and probally add years to my life. I have already cut back ALOT, but i cringe every time i swipe my card for another 5 bucks to support the habit.

You can do it! I smoked 2 1/2 packs a day during both of my thrus and although I quit 5 years ago, I never tried to quit while on the trail. It was no problem for me to quit smoking and didn't bother me a bit...I just got tired of the coughing, threw the remaining pack in the garbage and have never gone back...but thats just me...everyone has different levels of will power HOWEVER!!!!!...I started my 2002 hike dipping 2 cans of Copenhagen a day and vowed to quit during the hike. I simply hit the trail with the last can I had and when it was gone I refused to buy more...IT WAS THE HARDEST THING THAT I HAVE EVER DONE IN MY LIFE! I was successful but it was so iffy at times that I don't know how I did it. Haven't had a dip since. Good luck and know that alot of others will have their good wishes with you also. Hang in there, concentrate on every aspect of the trail that you can and just try to stick with it. YOU CAN DO IT!

geek

Default smoking/dipping on the trail

I've been there myself, but it's not that hard with the right motivation. Myself, was going to the hospital christmas eve morning to have 4 stints put in and seeing the look on my daughters face, so I no longer smoke, oh I still dip but its all natural snuff, I know personaly it's a hard habit to break, but it's becoming less and less a habit. Good luck on your goal ..

thanks jim and highfisher. yeah Jim, the copenhagen is difficult to give up. i'm ok without cigarettes, but my God i love Copenhagen. perhaps the best substance on earth. that is my mindset, and that is what i'm up against.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrecon2 View Post
    thanks jim and highfisher. yeah Jim, the copenhagen is difficult to give up. i'm ok without cigarettes, but my God i love Copenhagen. perhaps the best substance on earth. that is my mindset, and that is what i'm up against.
    SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geek

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I smoked for over 30 years and had a tough time quitting, but finally did it. Keep trying, but don't let it mess with your head too much.

I ruined a bunch of otherwise great hikes by looking at them as opportunities to quit smoking. In all cases, I wound up nasty and walked out to get smokes.

My advice is to keep those projects separate. Quitting is tough enough, no need to ruin your fun at the same time.

Kodiak is the best stuff on this earth!! jk....Im hoping that on my hike i will be able to quit my terrible habit. However, i will probly jump off a cliff if i cant have a dip on the trail...what to do, what to do.

I quit on springer in march 04, then to reward myself after a 30 mile day from newfound to mountain mammas i smoked a whole pack right there and then. Quitting on trail is tough. I didn't smoke after that pack for another 5 months, but damn i was tempted. I started again after the trail, moment of weakness. The trail isnt necessarily the place to quit smoking. Still, there's nothing like a smoke, a sit down, and a smile when you reach a vista.

cough.
    cheers

I think the best bet...at least for me. Is to quit prior to my hike. This way i can put the extra $8 a day away for better things to waste my money on during the hike. Like Jack Daniels.

I chain smoked filterless Camels for 20 years. And I used to smoke WHILE hiking, even uphills. There are folks who've told me they never ever saw me without a cigarette.

In a couple of weeks, I'll hit 22 months without one.

If I can do it, anyone can, and this includes you.

Best of luck!!

P.S. I'd try and quit BEFORE you get out there and not while en route, but whatever works.....

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

We met one guy who ran marathons and actually started smoking on the trail. The problem you'll have is so much time to think about stuff. If you can turn your thoughts away from tobacco toward other things (sure it will be food) you'll have a better chance of quitting. Just so you know I'm not chiming in without experience, I also chain smoked filterless Camels and dipped Skoal for decades, but finally quit. I just got tired of it controlling my life. One of the best decisions I ever made. You can do it, but it will take all the will power you can muster. Wish you the best and enjoy your hike!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbrecon2 View Post
    ... i cringe every time i swipe my card for another 5 bucks to support the habit.
    Cigs are only 5 in nj? I'm gonna start riding over on the PATH to buy my smokes.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by highfisher View Post
    I've been there myself, but it's not that hard with the right motivation. Myself, was going to the hospital christmas eve morning to have 4 stints put in and seeing the look on my daughters face, so I no longer smoke, oh I still dip but its all natural snuff, I know personaly it's a hard habit to break, but it's becoming less and less a habit. Good luck on your goal ..

If people want to quit using dip, they should work where I used to work in the late 80s: the Dana Farber Cancer Insititute.

We were using a cell line in the lab derived from squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. I saw photos of people who had developed this type of cancer..Holy crap, what that does to the victim's face would give you nightmares! I've never been a tobacco user, but I can't imagine using dip after seeing those photos!

http://quitsmokeless.org/

This web site helped me stop dipping two years ago.
    Lots of good info...
    The pictures of persons missing parts of their face helped.
    I still miss it today , but refuse to fall off the wagon.
    GOOD LUCK

Journal Entries
    Images

I dip and it is tearing my mouth up! I got to quit.....thanx for starting this thread.....throwing it in the trash again.....maybe this time i will do it?

Images

Nicotine is bad stuff. I gave up everything, even alchohol, but the smokes is by far the hardest. I still smoke every once in a while I just can't seem to get rid of it long term. I once saw a show though that took someone who'd never smoked before and exposed them to clean (whatever that is) nicotine in a larger than normal dose and believe it or not it was no different to them than shooting up heroin or anything else that gets you high like that. They were completly plastered. I guess the point to that is that it is in fact an addictive drug regardless of the tolerance factor that disguses the effects of it. I can't be in bondage to something like that, but I am.

Peach Skoal. . . yum. . . never smoked til I got on the AT in my whole life. . . been smokin for 3 years. . . .

Well you can use this hike to quit, I however, will be smoking a cigarette with every beer. I figure, all the other health benefits outweigh the deadly chemicals. I'm half joking.

Images

Yes, I have to quit everytime I hike. You can do it.
    If you are worried about cold turkey and you will see folks smoking on the trial and in town, take some nicorette gum. It does take the edge off the really bad cravings. Once you huff up an up, you will not want a cigarette. It is after dinner that you will miss it. Brush your teeth and chew a piece or nicorette. Then gradually wean off the gum.
    It is a horrible habit I still stuggle to overcome every day. None of us that have been there are judging you at all. We are cheering you on.

Images

I smoked for 37 years from age 12. Looking at pictures of people with cancer had no effect on my habit, being around people with emphysema didn't either but wheezing at night did, and not having the breath to climb small hills did too. I used Chantix to quit. I had tried before but unsuccessfully, the Chantix made the difference for me.
    Something that works for one person may not work for another, you've got to find what works for you. Nicotine is a highly addictive drug, and the non-smokers that say "Why don't you just quit?" have no clue.
    I still DREAM about smoking. I still want to smoke, too. I just don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++