WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I'm the same way. I sleep on my side. I used to get hip pains.

I use the Big Agnes Insulated Inflatable now. When it drops below 40, I bring CCF to put on top of the Inflatable.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Another happy Big Agnes Air core user here and side sleeper.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I failed to mention my rationale for doubling up the BA-pad with ccf.

In the colder weather, the air will get colder (despite it being "insulated") and will "deflate" a bit. Cold air actually compresses and so there will be less "air" in there than what you blew in with your hot lungs. Same principal as having to re-inflate your tyres on your car if the temperature drops drastically.

So, by 1am, I'm a little closer to the earth. So the CCF prevents that contact from happening (distributes my weight a little more) and insulates me from the cold air in the BA.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Garlic
    Images

My first impression was that the pain sounds like a sciatica-type of thing, since you described it as being in the gluteus--not the hip itself. Have you ever had sciatica symptoms? I used to get it from sitting with poor posture and it would hurt when walking, exacerbated by a tight pack hip belt sometimes. I wonder if sleeping on a different surface than you're used to can cause that to flare up. I think it's caused by a pinched nerve in the lumbar spine.

I asked my chiropractor about it, and she said the best exercise for sciatica was walking. Sure enough, the symptoms would go away after a few weeks of hiking. After a couple of long thru hikes, it went away for good and hasn't been back for years. Probably a matter of strengthening core/abdominal muscles.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Hike smarter, not harder.

You can use spadout.com to find the best price. I found the Ether Thermo 6 on sale for $50. Mine has been great.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Two words.

Hip hole.

If you are a side sleeper, you want to make a hole about 2/3 the diameter of your waistline; if you have a 36" waist, then the hole should be about 24" in diameter. From the edge, it should slope down so that 6" from the edge it is 2 1/2" to 3" deep, and the center should be flat, or just slightly concave. With a wee bit o' practice, you'll find the perfect shape/depth combo for you.

Back sleepers may want to make it a bit wider, and perhaps not as deep. If you are like me and do a bit of both, go with the back sleepers version.

Remember to practice LNT habits, and remove and replace any sod-like material carefully, and replace any soil that you removed, and leave the site looking like you found it.

I've also found that root depressions around larger trees often will have various natural depressions that with a little experimenting will offer a natural alternative. Once you know the shape you are looking for, you can just about always can spot a natural depression that will do the trick with a minimum amount of fuss.

A comfy hip hole prevents levering of your pelvis, and reduces the stress on your lower back and sides, and helps keep your spine properly aligned while you sleep.

If you're not cowboy camping, and using a bivy or a tent, merely prepare your hip hole before setting up. Until I got old a few years ago, I went over 30 years using a hip hole instead of a pad, except in winter.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I also use BA insulated air core as I'm a side sleeper- no problems.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I used to deal with sciatica. It was fairly bad for a while, but then I spent the Summer riding endurance horses and the pain went away and never really came back, so, it could be part of the problem.
    With all the suggestions here i'm confident something will work. Guess i'll start trying things out so I can figure it out before I hit the trail!

drifter...and other side sleepers,

which glute hurts while you are sleeping? My non-contact with the pad glute hurts. This is relieved by rolling to the other side so that the hurting glute is on the pad. Later I'll wake up and the other glute is hurting.

So far I have just credited this to general muscle soreness, but I don't understand why the muscle without pressure is the one that feels sore.

Images

I put down my blue pad from Walmart. Then I put down any clothes I plan to wear the next day. Then my inflatable mat. Then another blue pad. That seems to help my hip. Vitamin I works as well.

It's the hip that comes in contact WITH the pad

Quote Originally Posted by drifters quest View Post
    sounds like sciatic nerve pain, caused by lumbar disk compression. quit sleeping on your side for a while and strengthen your core muscles, hopefully youll be okay.

2011 or 2011 Te Araroa Thru Hike Possibly

Quote Originally Posted by drifters quest View Post
    I got this too while on a recent trip. I reduced it somewhat by sleeping with my fleece mid layer in my hip area. I guess it was made worse by the fact I was only using a cheapy blue foam pad.

I'm planning to invest in an inflatable pad, probably a Big Agnes or Thermarest model, although they're expensive in New Zealand.

Images

Default I had the same problems.

Wow, this sounded like a post that I could have started. I did the same thing and got a Big Agnes pad and it helped me a great deal while it stayed inflated. I still need to send it back to get a new one. Also, a pillow between the knees really helps. I use one at home when I get knee pain or my hips hurt. It really works.

Good series of post. I have not been on for a while. Merry Christmas to all of you and happy trails in 2010.
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

So I ordered the big agnes 2.5 insulated pad a couple days ago, they didn't have the petite mummy in stock so its on its way. Meanwhile i've been sleeping on my dads exped 2.5 deluxe pad and no hip pain so I am confident that the BA pad will work, thanks everyone for your help

Ill second the "Hip Hole" it really does help ALOT...

Kind of like the "hip hole" concept but more LNT...once set up my tent on uneven but somewhat level ground. By accident, a very mild "hump" was perfectly placed right under the small of my back...talk about a wonderful night's sleep! Made my Prolite 3 feel like one of those fancy hotel beds with the 17 pillows...

One thing I found that reduced my side pains were not inflating my pad as much. When the pad has some cushion to it it seems to work better. I always used to inflate my pad to near stiff.

Also, I began this year using a two part pillow system. First, for the bottom I put my pack at the head of the pad. Second I used a standard bed pillow that was comfortable, but, I cut it in half, sewed it shut and roll it tightly into a stuff sack. It's actually a tad lighter than some camp pillows like those by Kelty. It's my own luxury that I love and wont give up. Anyway by doing this I am able to keep my spine and neck aligned which has also reduced alot of sleeping pain and has allowed me better rest on the trail.

Also, I will admit my pad is a 4 season 2 inch Thermarest. Heavy but I refused to carry anything else until I got a Neo Air for Christmas.

Images

Good thread folks. I am a side sleeper as well, and skinny to boot. My hip bones tend to press through my Prolite 3 and contact the ground. I layed on the neo air a the outfitter and fell in love, but until the mixed reviews go away....im skeptical. Considered the BA Insulated...still mixed reviews. Also considering a hammock. I am afraid if i get a ba pad that I will come to close to the top of my Tarpent cloudburst.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

a probable cause is the trauma because of a certain activity. that is why when you are at rest that is the only time that you may feel the pain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++