WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your best gear

Default Your best gear

If you're like me much of your gear you quickly realize that you could just as well do without. But every now and then you come across a great piece of gear that you are glad you found. You only have 25-35 lbs of stuff in your pack, so whats great. And while we are at it you might list the low performers as well. i will start.

My first great piece of gear is my tent. Colman Exponent one man tent. I love this tent. for under $80 its about 3 lbs, easy to set up, easy to get into, very weather proof and airy, and the quality is surprising high considering its made in China. Great value. I may go to a tarp in the future but for now this tent is tops.

My next great piece of gear is my sleeping bag. Not to sound like a Colman freak, but its a Colman Cloudcroft 40deg down bag. Again not a high dollar bag and I almost froze in 20deg weather but I love it. Again high quality considering the manufacture and country of origin, and light weight and worm. Sure there are better 40deg bags but for under $100?

I am kinda new to backpacking, so that's what I have that I am glad I purchased. Everything else in my pack is neither here nor there and could be replaced are any moment.

My low performer was my cook kit. I got one of these 5 piece sets from Dicks, walmart has them too. It has a pan with handle, plate, saucepan with lid and a cup. Completely useless. I added a blue metal cup to this and found I only cooked in the cup. I ordered a titanium 900ml pot. I am hoping that will move to the top of my list.

I used the same Mountain Hardwear tent on seven long hikes from 1997-2003 and still use it today sometimes.

It has around 20,000 A.T. miles on it.

Good company, good people, good stuff.

with a case of blind faith
    Images

I'm sorta' fond of my old Whisperlite stove. It is not pretty, not all that light but it has never let me down.

I have sentimental gear and best gear, and the two are different. I sorely miss my North Face 1977 Tuolumne A-frame tent, but anyone would miss something they lived in for years. As usual, NF discontinued it(along with the fine Westwind 3 hoop tent).

I really had a good feeling for my 6 or 7 lb boy scout 1957 red flannel sleeping bag with the jumping deer, it was my first big ticket to the outdoors at a young age. I humped it and no one complained about the weight.

I spent many years in my Mountain Hardwear Muir Trail tent, but like most tents, the floor started absorbing groundwater like a sponge and the door zipper failed. It got me thru a lot of wild winds and blizzards. I still have it and will set it up in the yard occasionally for a few bag nights.

Gear wears out. The best gear wears out. My 1981 North Face Ibex goose down 550 fill bag lasted me 20 years with constant use(and only one washing), and it was loved but I noticed it quit keeping me warm at 0F like it used to, so I had to upgrade.

My best gear for the new millenium:
    ** Icebreaker merinos, especially their midweight balaclava.
    ** Feathered Friends Icefall parka: every winter backpacker if able should carry this baby. You will stay warm in camp no matter how cold it gets. Quit nickle and dimeing yourself with underfilled jackets and overblown reviews and get top-o-the-line if you want to stay warm in the winter.
    ** And, of course, my WM Puma -10F sleeping bag. It took me twenty years to afford but I finally made the plunge and like the old Ibex ticket, it's a new ticket to another decade of cold weather living.

Just off the top of my head......a few of my favorites :

WM bags...awesome..my 10year old Badger MF is still going strong and keeps me warm down into the teens. Packs up small, lightweight and super loft. Draft tube and neck collar are so effective.

This thing from REI. About five years old, lightweight and it goes on every trip. I'm still discovering uses for it. At least twenty and damn if it doesn't make a fine neck gaiter too !!

http://www.rei.com/product/691367

Superlightweight windshirt. These babies breathe well and take up no room. Good for everthing up to a drizzle, then I pop on the poncho and the durn thing dries out ! Awesome..... pertex is great material...

MSR Titan kettle and mug. Bulletproof and well-designed.

Lastly, for the coffee junkies out there (myself included).....the new Viva instant coffee tubes from Starbucks. Try the Italian Roast.....best brew for the least hassle/weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tractor View Post
    I'm sorta' fond of my old Whisperlite stove. It is not pretty, not all that light but it has never let me down.
    i like my whisperlight also and the look on people's faces when i drink the fuel cause it's full of everclear
    GRAVY

TNF Rock 22 tent. Bomb proof, carried it all the way.
    MSR Titan Kettle- Amazing pot. Have had it for 5 years and its just now getting character.

Images

I'm liking my Montbell, Ultra Light, Super Stretch, Down Hugger sleeping bag.
    It's the #2, rated to 25degrees F, and keeps me warm and confortable even into the high teens.

Gregory Whitney pack
    Asolo Fugitive GTX boots
    Fox River socks
    MSR water filter
    MSR water bag
    MSR shaker jet international stove
    Tex Sport cooking pot
    Leki Voyager treking poles
    UNDERARMOUR! long boxerjocks
    Slumberjack 30F bag
    Ridgerest 3/4inch extra long sleeping pad

Man, I just have a lot of good equipment that I really like!

(I have rain gear, but none that I am impressed with)

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

My bandanna. It has been on my sweaty head for many miles. It even has an AT logo on it...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Merino wool base layers from Icebreaker and Ibex. Love those things. Warm when it's cold, cool when it's hot.

Marmot Driclime windshirt. In the winter, I rarely if ever take it off.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Tractor View Post
    And let's not forget the Svea 123 stove. Grandpaw to the Whisperlite.

SVEA, 40 + years and going strong
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

Easy!

<---The Kifaru Paratipi in my avatar.

I guess I have a bias towards most-recent acquisitions, what comes to mind for me is the Gatewood Cape I bought this year. Maybe I'll change my mind after I have some decent miles in with it, but for now at least I'm really liking it.

O.P. said "My low performer was my cook kit."
    To go with your new 900 m.l. titanium pot, consider saving some money at least to start with and making a very lightweight alcohol stove out of a cat food can (it's quite easy and works well) and a windscreen out of aluminum foil.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Caldera Keg, it rocks. My hammock and insulation setup just plain kicks butt and my ULA Catalyst is the best pack I ever owned. Looking at getting a Circuit before spring rolls around.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

By far my ThermaRest chair - at 6 oz it provides unbelievable comfort after a long day's hike. Just ask Gary, who on our last group hike jumped in mine every time I got out of it! I originally used it with a ThermaRest pad but it works fine with my BA mattress now.

Black Diamond Trail Back trekking poles - I love the sturdiness and the flick-lock mechanisms. Great in cold weather when you need to adjust or collapse, never slip either.

Jetboil - boils water faster than anything out there. With French Press for coffee, is a complete system that is just too convenient to opt for alki stoves for section hiking.

Steripen - Tried pumps and absolutely hated them. Would have continued to not treat water at all until this baby came along. It works! It's easy! It's cheap (when you factor in total cost of ownership-see "steripen" threads), and it's convenient. It will work in extreme cold weather (with lithium batteries - which are the only batteries you should use anyway) when pumps are useless. It provides cold, safe water within 90 seconds of your stop, rather than waiting 30 minutes or more with chemicals. Some say they don't last but mine's 3 years old and has probably 1000 uses and Mike and I doubled up on using it for a week recently and it didn't miss-fire once. Two guys I've hiked with recently have bought their own after experiencing mine!

Older model (2004) Prolite 3 short pad
    Eureka Spitfire solo tent
    MSR Titan Pot/kettle
    Starter brand (Walmart) long sleeved wicking shirts
    Golite Ion pack (for short hikes/day hikes)

Western Mountaineering Antelope sleeping bag. I've had it for 12 years, by far the best peice of gear I've ever owned.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Wanderlust Nomad 242 tent. Not made any longer. Whatever happened to the owner Kurt Russell of Myrtle Beach, SC. Maybe he started making movies again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++