WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Pesto??? How to bring pesto on the trail?

So, I LOVE pesto. Pesto makes everything good. Pesto pasta, pesto on bread, etc... But how can I bring it on the trail? Is there any such thing as dried pesto? And I know you can buy things like AlpineAire pesto pasta, but I just want the pesto. So I could buy just the pesto anywhere? I've been looking, with no luck yet.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Honestly, this is one of the easiest things to make on the trail. I do it all the time. It was one of my favorites during my PCT hike.

Buy normal pasta noodles, and cook as much as like. Then buy Knorr brand pesto packets. They're probably a buck or two each, and can be found in just about every grocery store on the face of the planet. One is perfect for a meal. Heat up some olive oil (just carry a container with olive oil in it), mix in the pesto mix, mix that with the pasta. Or, just mix the pesto packet and the oil with the pasta directly if you're like me and a lazy cooker. Either way, it's delicious.

Hope this helps!
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

And just so you know what they look like, here's a link to the Knorr pesto packets...

http://www.amazon.com/Knorr-Pesto-Sa.../dp/B000FA7PBC

No need to order them though... you really can find them in just about any grocery store.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Oh my goodness, I CAN'T BELIEVE that I forgot about the Korr's pesto!!! Wow, never mind about this thread, mods, please delete.

Thanks so much for reminding me Ender!
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Images

If you are not inclined to use the Knorr stuff my question is this --

What is there in pesto that would cause it to go bad after opening one of those small jars? All pesto is is a paste of herbs, pinenuts, maybe garlic and olive oil. It would seem to me that one of those small containers would be used up pretty quickly, before there would be any sort of concern for food safety.

There's a company called Amore which sells pesto in a tube, like toothpaste.

You can get it at the Outfitter at Hot Springs, as well as on line. The Knorr stuff works well also, and it's easy to carry real olive oil, spices, etc.

You and jack are gonna get along I can tell. He bathes everything liberally in pesto. He also puts it on all his food....

Images

'Cause pesto is amazing!

Don't you mean Pesto is the besto?

Images
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Honestly, this is one of the easiest things to make on the trail. I do it all the time. It was one of my favorites during my PCT hike.

Buy normal pasta noodles, and cook as much as like. Then buy Knorr brand pesto packets. They're probably a buck or two each, and can be found in just about every grocery store on the face of the planet. One is perfect for a meal. Heat up some olive oil (just carry a container with olive oil in it), mix in the pesto mix, mix that with the pasta. Or, just mix the pesto packet and the oil with the pasta directly if you're like me and a lazy cooker. Either way, it's delicious.

Hope this helps!
    That's what I do.

Images

Just make it and bring it or buy it along the way. Like Tuckahoe said, it will last longer than it takes to eat it, no refrigeration necessary. Don't bother with the knorr stuff, fresh is ridiculously easy to make, so much better than instant and more calorie dense for weight than anything other than straight oil.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Cilantro in a tube is pretty darn good too.

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    You and jack are gonna get along I can tell. He bathes everything liberally in pesto. He also puts it on all his food....
    He could save a step and just eat while he bathes. . . .

I mix dried basil, powder garlic, parmesan and olive oil. It's better than the Knorr pesto and way cheaper.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Images

Thanks all! The advice has been most helpful and much appreciated. I may try the pesto in a tube as well.

Cheers is right, pesto is the besto!

Pesto is one of my favorite trail dinners. I make a batch, using basil that I grow. Then I cook a box of pasta, usually elbow macaroni or other small pasta. When it's done, I pour the pesto over the pasta, mix thoroughly, let cook, and spread in my dehydrator for several hours, until thoroughly dry. I then pack into portion-sized plastic bags. Easy, light in weight, and delicious.

Images

I had a similar product to the Knorr stuff*, and in interest of "saving time" I re-hydrated the pesto with water from my pasta, than added the olive oil after, stirring gently a few times. After the first bite, I have no memory of how it tasted I ate so fast. I do remember it had large pieces of pine nuts, surprised me they held up to being processed.

*No idea of the brand, got it at Big Lots, haven't seen it there since.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/dehydrated-pesto

This is for a DIY instant mix
    Ingredients

• 3 T dried basil, crumbled
    • 3 T shelf stable Parmesan cheese
    • 1 T dried garlic, powder or diced
    • 2 T olive oil (or 2 packets)
    • 1⁄4 c water

Instructions

At home pack the dry ingredients in a snack size bag and seal tightly. Pack the oil in a leak proof bottle or take packets.
    Depending on your use for the pesto sauce, add the oil and up to 1/4 cup water (hot or cool) slowly, mixing till blended. If using on trail sammies, you may want to use less water for a thicker spread. Let sit for a couple minutes to blend the flavors.

Notes

Perfect for pasta: Add a couple of diced sun-dried tomatoes, a handful of pine nuts and you have a sauce worthy of any type of pasta.
    Try with Potato: make mashed potatoes and pesto in two seperate bags, use pesto and olive oil and red pepper flakes as condiments for mashers.
    Wraps: smear on a tortillas! Really good with chicken, shrimp, turkey, tuna, dandelion greens, even makes shoe leather taste good ;-)
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

Inna tube....

http://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-Pesto.../dp/B001EO5O7K

http://www.amazon.com/Amore-Pesto-Pa.../dp/B001ET5XWG

I've seen the second one at Whole Foods.

Some good tomato paste in a tube too, if you're too lazy to dehydrate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++