WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Would adding a "Mapping/Navigation" Forum Be Useful?

Voters
21. This poll is closed
  • Yes

19 90.48%
  • No

2 9.52%
  • Not sure

0 0%
    Images

Default Forum for Mapping/Navigation

I'd like to suggest that a separate Forum be created just for navigation and mapping, as a central place for information and Q/A about maps, mapping programs, GPS and similar information. I think that it's as significant to have that info separate as it is for cooking or hammocks.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Good idea. Wasn't there a thread on this a few weeks ago, though? I think Alligator made one.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    Good idea. Wasn't there a thread on this a few weeks ago, though? I think Alligator made one.
    True. I voted YES there and will vote YES here too! LOL

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

my vote is yes and I asked several times the same question couple years back
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

sounds like a good idea to me also
    GRAVY

TW,

You started a thread about PDA data a few weeks ago that I can't seem to find and I tried to share what little I know. Any interesting info from that thread?

Petr

I would like to see such a forum. HOWEVER, forums take time and energy to create and moderate. Thus, I would understand if they did not create a new forum.

In addition to a forum, we could probably ALSO use a good set of permanent articles or "downloads" in this general topic area. There seem to be lots of frequently requested questions on this topic--and much of the general data will probably not change very much from month to month (or only need to be updated perhaps annually).

We could even use some articles--or web links to sites--on the topic of BASIC map and compass usage. I am constantly amazed at the number of hikers (who use "well-marked" trails like the AT) who cannot do simple navigational things like accurately orient a map.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Images

that would be a great idea. sharing knowledege with a group is always good because there is always something to be learned from another person. its hard to belive but whiteblaze has taught me quite a few things.

++ New Posts ++