WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

D-Con vs Victor.

We should start a poll on the superior mousetrap.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    Leave No Trace Outdoors Ethics? How do you fellow hikers feel about hikers setting out mousetraps at the shelters? "Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures, kill nothing but time" is the creed - right? I for one try my best to follow these ethics - and I wish others felt the same way. If you feel as I do - please respectfully introduce this ideology to the unitiated hikers (that aren't thinking in this direction) that you might find setting out mousetraps at the shelters! If you arrive at a shelter, pop open the journal and discover that the mouse activity is insane there - hike on a bit and tent camp! 'Nuff Said, "Sir-Packs-Alot"
    The whole premise is skewered. The shelters themselves are the biggest Trace/Blight on the landscape, forget about the rodents. Leave No Trace? Uh, what about the shelters?

Images

I agree with OP. Hikers should not be killing wildlife.

1) Mice are mammals, much higher developed nervous system than insects (mosquitoes and ticks), thus they are much more likely to experience pain and terror in a way similar to us.

2) Mosquitoes and Ticks are directly attacking (biting) us. Self defence is a totally natural reaction. The mice are generally attracted to and cleaning up our garbage that we are too lazy to clean up ourselves or store properly.

---------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    ...and one actually went on to kill a ruffled grouse with his trekking pole and bragged about his "fresh turkey-like dinner".
    Umm, ruffed grouse hunting is legal. Now if he killed it out of season or without a license go ahead and make a stink, but every year hunters take grouse and many other animals from the woods. Hunters have far more impact on animals than hikers taking grouse and killing mice.

Should this thread be in the humor forum?

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

PEOPLE! PEOPLE!!! HOLD ON!!!
    how could anyone hate this little guy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMt3GOyRkU4

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

1) Mice are mammals, much higher developed nervous system than insects (mosquitoes and ticks), thus they are much more likely to experience pain and terror in a way similar to us.

2) Mosquitoes and Ticks are directly attacking (biting) us. Self defense is a totally natural reaction. The mice are generally attracted to and cleaning up our garbage that we are too lazy to clean up ourselves or store properly.
    Hikers should leave it to professional pest control folks, Identify the worst shelters and install small safety control stations at the back to knock down the infestation. Less mice means less ticks, fleas, & mosquito's at shelters. Smaller chance of getting West Nile, Rocky Mountain Fever, and Lyme Disease....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I admit that snakes give me the hiebbie jiebbies but I would never kill one. Gee they eat a lot of mice. And mice carry a lot of disease. My vote is make sure the shelter is fastidiously clean before setting traps. the shelters are a human intrusion into the woods seems to me we should do something to control the mice population if we caused it in the 1st place. and do the least destructive thing(s) we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

2) Mosquitoes and Ticks are directly attacking (biting) us. Self defence is a totally natural reaction. The mice are generally attracted to and cleaning up our garbage that we are too lazy to clean up ourselves or store properly.
    "More likely to experience pain and terror?" Then you'll love this factoid: 10 billion food animals are slaughtered every year in the U.S. That's alot of pain and terror.

Maybe what we need is a good freezer bag recipe?

I propose that pump shot guns be left at each shelter for hikers to blast away at the little buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Hikers should leave it to professional pest control folks, Identify the worst shelters and install small safety control stations at the back to knock down the infestation. Less mice means less ticks, fleas, & mosquito's at shelters. Smaller chance of getting West Nile, Rocky Mountain Fever, and Lyme Disease....
    Here's a thought: Identify the worst shelters and use the PONDs Pinpoint Onboard Napalm Delivery System to take out the whole area, rodents and shelters alike. Plant grass. Wait. Enjoy tent sites. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Here's a thought: Identify the worst shelters and use the PONDs Pinpoint Onboard Napalm Delivery System to take out the whole area, rodents and shelters alike. Plant grass. Wait. Enjoy tent sites. Have a nice day.
    Who could argue with that. Ecologically friendly and effective. The shot gun idea would be more fun but I defer to the final solution.

"Mr. Jingles? Now where have you been?"
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    "More likely to experience pain and terror?" Then you'll love this factoid: 10 billion food animals are slaughtered every year in the U.S. That's alot of pain and terror.

YEP.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by elray View Post
    "Mr. Jingles? Now where have you been?"
    i took it back boss.
    http://www.hfpinsurance.com/rons/fw/grimaz_coffey.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    Maybe what we need is a good freezer bag recipe?
    we can call it "rAT-a-two-e"

Journal Entries
    Images

Well Bryce it isn't neccessary anymore to set traps for mice. Although its a quick kill they only work once and then someone has to reset them. Weatherblock will knock out a hungry mouse in one bite or fat mouse after two or three bites...

Three things changed over the last 100 years to improve the life span of the average human. The biggest impact on our heath is better sanitation, better pharmacuticals, and better pest control.

Mice are attracted to shelters for food, shelter, and a nearby water source.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

But Mousie, thou art no a lane,
    In proving foresight may be vain:
    The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
    Gang aft agley,
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

Still thou are blest, compared wi' me!
    The present only toucheth thee:
    But och! I backward cast my e'e,
    On prospects drear!
    An' forward, tho' I canna see,
    I guess an' fear!

- Robert Burns

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++