WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Images

On another note, who hikes with traps? Could it possibly be volunteers that set them? I guess section hikers could have maybe, but what thru-hiker would add that extra weight

Images

little peanut butter goes a long way. i would never reset a trap after i was leaving. KILL A MOUSE. ol dirty ******. they're at your mercy, not the other way around. outsmart the vermin -> free protein.
    hey hey, my my

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    I prefer to go for the rats, nothing like some oatmeal and rat on a stick to start off the day.
    I'm just the opposite. At the end of a long day of hiking there's nothing like a hot steaming bowl of Rat-A-Roni.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Dude View Post
    On another note, who hikes with traps? Could it possibly be volunteers that set them? I guess section hikers could have maybe, but what thru-hiker would add that extra weight
    Sounds like nobody would - but a group of several thru-hikers between Watauga Lake Shelter and Damascus were doing it in May 2009.

Journal Entries
    Images

While not reusable, would glue traps be best?

They are silent (traps snapping in the middle of the night could keep some awake) and could provide the trapper and his shelter mates who elect to stay up and watch with an added level of entertainment as the mouse struggles to free itself.

Just a thought.

El Sordo
    Images

rat poison might be a better solution. it will stay around for awhile and you can get more then one mouse with it. that way you don't have to listen to that annoying snap in the middle of the night and worry about resetting the trap and tossing the corpse onto your neighbors sleeping bag.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    Leave No Trace Outdoors Ethics? How do you fellow hikers feel about hikers setting out mousetraps at the shelters? "Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures, kill nothing but time" is the creed - right? I for one try my best to follow these ethics - and I wish others felt the same way. If you feel as I do - please respectfully introduce this ideology to the unitiated hikers (that aren't thinking in this direction) that you might find setting out mousetraps at the shelters! If you arrive at a shelter, pop open the journal and discover that the mouse activity is insane there - hike on a bit and tent camp! 'Nuff Said, "Sir-Packs-Alot"
    Bless your heart.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    While not reusable, would glue traps be best?

They are silent (traps snapping in the middle of the night could keep some awake) and could provide the trapper and his shelter mates who elect to stay up and watch with an added level of entertainment as the mouse struggles to free itself.

Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    rat poison might be a better solution. it will stay around for awhile and you can get more then one mouse with it. that way you don't have to listen to that annoying snap in the middle of the night and worry about resetting the trap and tossing the corpse onto your neighbors sleeping bag.
    The mice get on the glue trap and scream for help all night long... worse than the movie "The Fly" --help me help me......

The bait is no longer poison, it is the same thing as a blood thinner, in small quantities it causes the mouse or rat to bleed internally over the course of a day. Once one animal has consumed it, if another animal gets the mouse it doesn't mess up the food chain. Today it's called Weather Blok
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by XCskiNYC View Post
    If the mice really bother you, jump on top of the picnic table and scream for help
    Best post on this thread so far IMHO.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    The bait is no longer poison, it is the same thing as a blood thinner, in small quantities it causes the mouse or rat to bleed internally over the course of a day. Once one animal has consumed it, if another animal gets the mouse it doesn't mess up the food chain. Today it's called Weather Blok
    Here is the link for the label for Weatherblok XT -- http://www.syngentacropprotection.co...055AL60708.pdf.

Infact it is not safe for secondary exposure.

Environmental Hazards
    This product is toxic to fish, birds and wildlife. This product can pose a secondary hazard to birds of prey and mammals. Do not apply directly to water, or to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark.

Images

I love this thread.

A bunch of tough, proud, powerful types load up their gear to head into the wilderness, the place where they can see views for leagues and feel the touch of nature. Mile upon mile they stride, bearing their loads through weather vile or benign, showing that they are stronger than the multitude who cower in their houses at home, remembering the old saying, "The cowards never left, and the weak died along the way." Yes these are truly men and women to admire, for their ability to set aside weakness and demonstrate courage.

Until they come to a shelter with a mouse. Or two.

Sheesh.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post

A bunch of tough, proud, powerful types load up their gear to head into the wilderness, the place where they can see views for leagues and feel the touch of nature. Mile upon mile they stride, bearing their loads through weather vile or benign, showing that they are stronger than the multitude who cower in their houses at home, remembering the old saying, "The cowards never left, and the weak died along the way." Yes these are truly men and women to admire, for their ability to set aside weakness and demonstrate courage.
    this don't describe the AT in any way

Images

Yeah, well, it don't describe the mouse wusses in any way, either.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

killing vermin is good. i endorse it

Wow, I have been avoiding this thread but finally had to jump in. This is silly. Really, traps?? For mice????

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Really, traps?? For mice????
    .357 rounds are expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    The concept of "Leave No Trace" can be inconvenient - but it's still valid. By keeping the food away from shelter mice and letting them move on to "greener" ("fatter") pastures instead of killing them (faster and more dramatic - but still killing) you stick to this idea. I have seen some hikers going for records of mice killed - and one actually went on to kill a ruffled grouse with his trekking pole and bragged about his "fresh turkey-like dinner". You can see how that line of thinking - and being ok with letting your average hiker should do some self-proclaimed "shelter mice population control" - could get you in trouble. I might have my head in the clouds here - but I like to think of my fellow hikers as protectors of this resource - big and small aspects of the trail ... and it's critters. Sir-Packs-Alot

LNT is so outdated. Adopt your own ethics

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    .357 rounds are expensive
    friggin traps though? buncha wussies

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    friggin traps though? buncha wussies
    well what's a better way to kill 'em?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

It's just mice at a shelter. If you want to avoid the mice, don't stay at the shelters, simple as that. If you do stay at the shelter, then you have my permission to kill as many mice as you wish. Fewer for the next hiker to deal with.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++