WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Exclamation Hikers setting mousetraps at the shelters

Leave No Trace Outdoors Ethics? How do you fellow hikers feel about hikers setting out mousetraps at the shelters? "Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures, kill nothing but time" is the creed - right? I for one try my best to follow these ethics - and I wish others felt the same way. If you feel as I do - please respectfully introduce this ideology to the unitiated hikers (that aren't thinking in this direction) that you might find setting out mousetraps at the shelters! If you arrive at a shelter, pop open the journal and discover that the mouse activity is insane there - hike on a bit and tent camp! 'Nuff Said, "Sir-Packs-Alot"

Human activity created the abundance of mice at some shelters. Trapping can be looked at as reducing the human impact and leaving LESS of a trace.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Default Leave No Trace

The concept of "Leave No Trace" can be inconvenient - but it's still valid. By keeping the food away from shelter mice and letting them move on to "greener" ("fatter") pastures instead of killing them (faster and more dramatic - but still killing) you stick to this idea. I have seen some hikers going for records of mice killed - and one actually went on to kill a ruffled grouse with his trekking pole and bragged about his "fresh turkey-like dinner". You can see how that line of thinking - and being ok with letting your average hiker should do some self-proclaimed "shelter mice population control" - could get you in trouble. I might have my head in the clouds here - but I like to think of my fellow hikers as protectors of this resource - big and small aspects of the trail ... and it's critters. Sir-Packs-Alot

Journal Entries

Be careful not to step on any ants, or swat any mosquitos. Let the ticks gorge, too.

Why do "sign" your messages in boldface? When were you knighted? Ego much?

For more fun use an ice pick instead of a mouse trap.

Images

So much for those kind of ideals for some ... too bad ...

Journal Entries
    Images

Here is a great shot of a mouse taken by Magnet.

Images

Those things is agile!

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Here is a great shot of a mouse taken by Magnet.
    Nice, then stab em with the ice pick?

Default scene from Hikers Crossing

[shelter mouse, cornered at Calf Mtn. shelter ] lI'm... I'm... I'm just a shelter mouse, Mr. Hiker. I'm... I'm... I'm... I'm... I'm an nobody! But I'll tell you what, I never crossed a friend, Mr. Hiker. I never killed anybody, I never crossed a friend, nor you, I'll bet. We're not like those animals! This is not us! Th... th... this is some hop dream! It's a dream, Mr. Hiker! I'm praying to you! I can't die! I can't die... out here in the woods, like a dumb animal! In the woods, LIKE A DUMB ANIMAL! Like a dumb animal! I can't... I can't... I CAN'T DIE OUT HERE IN THE WOODS!... like a dumb animal. I can't... die! ...[shelter mouse falls to his knees, praying]
    ... I'm praying to you! Look in your heart! I'm praying to you! Look in your heart! I'm praying to you! Look in your heart! I'm praying to you! Look in your heart... [ Mr. Hiker says nothing, slowly raises his leki ]
    I'm praying to you! Look in your heart. I'm praying to you... look in your heart... look in your heart! You can't kill me... look in your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    If you feel as I do - please respectfully introduce this ideology to the unitiated hikers (that aren't thinking in this direction) that you might find setting out mousetraps at the shelters!
    Reminds me of a bible verse:
    Luke 6:41-42 Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
    Yeah, a mouse is like the speck so you better be practicing LNT by the letter if you are going to correct someone for this petty BS.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

where there's one, there's twenty. you'll never get rid of them, plus they're cute! i usually feed them.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Hike smarter, not harder.

So when did the politically correct crowd add "kill nothing but time" to that saying?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Journal Entries
    Images

Diseases from Rodents

Worldwide, rats and mice spread over 35 diseases. Rodent-borne diseases are spread directly to humans through bite wounds, consuming food or water that is contaminated with rodent feces, coming in contact with surface water contaminated with rodent urine, or through breathing in germs that may be present in rodent urine or droppings that have been stirred into the air (a process known as “aerosolization”). Diseases from rodents are also spread indirectly to humans by way of ticks, mites, and fleas that transmit the infection to humans after feeding on infected rodents. In some cases, the rodents are the reservoirs (carriers) of the diseases, while in other cases the ticks, mites, or fleas act as the disease reservoirs.

http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/diseases/direct_rodents.htm

Mice have no control over their bladders, if you are coming into contact with surfaces that are covered in rodent droppings. There is no doubt there is salmonella & urine on the same surfaces.

A mouse infestation is a very serious thing and is no joking matter in the woods - nobody wants to get sick.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by randyg45 View Post
    Be careful not to step on any ants, or swat any mosquitos. Let the ticks gorge, too.

Why do "sign" your messages in boldface? When were you knighted? Ego much?
    Yep. If this guy kills a tick or mosquito, he's being a hypocrite.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

if we stopped leaving crumbs everywhere, and stopped killing the snakes, would we have this problem?
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

I hates meeces to pieces.

Kill kill keeeaaaal...
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    So when did the politically correct crowd add "kill nothing but time" to that saying?
    Yep, this is the first I've heard of this disturbing trend.

love to eat them mousies
    mousies what I love to eat
    bite they little heads off
    nibble on they tiny feet.

Quote Originally Posted by smak View Post
    if we stopped leaving crumbs everywhere, and stopped killing the snakes, would we have this problem?
    And if we all got along there wouldn't be any wars; however, my tent is mice free

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++