WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Multiple Thruhikes

Wondering, what are the benefits to having multiple thru's? Is it really that different each time?

I also know that there is great discussion on SOBO and NOBO. What about those that have done both?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Is it really that different each time?
    yes it is.......

I also know that there is great discussion on SOBO and NOBO. What about those that have done both?
    SOBO is much better

Wondering, what are the benefits to having multiple thru's? Is it really that different each time?
    Sure, the PCT and the AT are different trails, and the CDT is different yet, and then there's ...

I.e., I'm with you. I know that some people thru-hike the same trail more than once, and no doubt it's different due to different alternate trails and towns, different people you meet, different weather pattern, and indeed SOBO vs. NOBO. But there are so many trails out there to walk, it wouldn't make sense to me to repeat a long trail until I've done a few others first.

If you got the time and money to kill, doing multipule thru's isn't a bad way to spend them.

I like to go out and hike for a month or two every year. Its my annual exersise program. April/May is a good time of year for me to get away, so I tend to go to the southern end of the AT a lot. Will likely do GA/NC *again* this spring.

Why keep going to the AT? Because its so damn conveniant. Just have to throw a few things into the pack, hop on a bus and be hiking the next day or so. Every year it is a little different - different people, different weather, something I didn't notice or stop to see the last time and so on. If I happened to live on the west coast instead of the east, I'd probably keep going back to the PCT.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I haven't thru-hiked yet but as many trails as there are out there I wouldn't want to do the same trail multiple times. My plans once I retire or hit the lottery (hahahaha) is to do the AT first then the PCT next. Lots of shorter trail to do also like the BMT, Long Trail, Sheltowee Trace, JMT, etc.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

I haven't done my thru yet (February!!!), but I'm pretty sure that I won't do it twice- at least, not for a while. There are SO MANY cool trails and places. I'd like to do the CDT, at least part of the PCT, maybe the NCNST, Australia, Ireland (on the roads, from town to town), Switzerland, definitely, the pilgrim trail in Spain (cannot remember the name), lot of cool things to do out there.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    I haven't done my thru yet (February!!!), but I'm pretty sure that I won't do it twice- at least, not for a while. There are SO MANY cool trails and places. I'd like to do the CDT, at least part of the PCT, maybe the NCNST, Australia, Ireland (on the roads, from town to town), Switzerland, definitely, the pilgrim trail in Spain (cannot remember the name), lot of cool things to do out there.
    I said the same thing before my thru. Not trying to be rude but Im asking people that have done multiple thru's of the same trail whether its NOBO or SOBO

I haven't done my thru yet (February!!!), but I'm pretty sure that I won't do it twice- at least, not for a while.
    there's a pretty good chance you won't even do it once

Images

Gee, thanks for your confidence Wolf.

(Sorry chaco, wasn't sure about your question)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

He is right! Most dont make it!

The title of the thread is Multiple thruhikes and how it is each time. That seems pretty straight forward

I haven't done my thru yet (February!!!),
    It aint a thru til you finish. You will start your attempt at a thruhike in February. Dont get too far ahead of yourself

Statistically speaking, the comment LW made is entirely correct.

Well Chac... we had a bit of this conversation when I was down here with you last Spring. I came down less than a year after finishing with you and Wak up in Maine and had my eyes opened.

I think that a second Thru-hike...so soon after the first...and NOBO for that matter...would be detrimental to your overall experience and love for the trail that I know you developed the first time around. It was hard for me to reconcile the fact that I was hiking with "thru-hikers" who didn't seem one bit like the professionals I imagined they'd be. See, we think of thru hikers as those highly developed folks we finished the trail with and these were like little "destructors" tearing their way North. Seriously, it was like all of Matty's little back of the tent paranoid mumblings had invaded my head. Because of all of the problems I saw I had a really hard time enjoying myself with one group of hikers and had to bounce around or start to feel really bad about the whole situation.

Contrast that with what I saw up North that very same year as part of my Long Trail hike...I ended up hiking in the same group...I mean, literally the same individuals were making their way North through Southern Vermont when I got there. And they had it going on. I finally felt comfortable around them.

In light of that: Yes, every thru-hike is different. And I feel like you need to be careful that your next one isn't a negative experience for the reasons I sort of danced around here. I realize that you have bigger things going right now than thinking about another hike so this really isn't a big issue for you. Just that if you'd do it again I'd strongly caution you against starting April 1st heading North.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    Well Chac... we had a bit of this conversation when I was down here with you last Spring. I came down less than a year after finishing with you and Wak up in Maine and had my eyes opened.

I think that a second Thru-hike...so soon after the first...and NOBO for that matter...would be detrimental to your overall experience and love for the trail that I know you developed the first time around. It was hard for me to reconcile the fact that I was hiking with "thru-hikers" who didn't seem one bit like the professionals I imagined they'd be. See, we think of thru hikers as those highly developed folks we finished the trail with and these were like little "destructors" tearing their way North. Seriously, it was like all of Matty's little back of the tent paranoid mumblings had invaded my head. Because of all of the problems I saw I had a really hard time enjoying myself with one group of hikers and had to bounce around or start to feel really bad about the whole situation.

Contrast that with what I saw up North that very same year as part of my Long Trail hike...I ended up hiking in the same group...I mean, literally the same individuals were making their way North through Southern Vermont when I got there. And they had it going on. I finally felt comfortable around them.

In light of that: Yes, every thru-hike is different. And I feel like you need to be careful that your next one isn't a negative experience for the reasons I sort of danced around here. I realize that you have bigger things going right now than thinking about another hike so this really isn't a big issue for you. Just that if you'd do it again I'd strongly caution you against starting April 1st heading North.
    Yea my view changed as well. I know we had a good group. Seeing the hikers this year really made me think about how insane it is to be a thruhiker. Id never NOBO the AT again that is for sure. Too many people that dont give a damn about the trail tearing their way North by any means whatsoever.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I said the same thing before my thru. Not trying to be rude but Im asking people that have done multiple thru's of the same trail whether its NOBO or SOBO
    I've only done one trail twice..and a relatively short trail at that (Vermont's Long Trail).

Some it felt the same as it was only two years apart (1997 and 1999). But I hiked the LT the year after I finished my AT thru. The trail was easier in 1999 than in 1997. (More experience, a little better shape, LIGHTER GEAR!). I enjoyed the experience more in 1999 overall.

I suspect if I did the AT or even the LT again a decade later, I would find the trail much different. Different people, different gear and (most importantly) different life experiences that would change how I would filter the trail.

Though the BMT is not strictly speaking the same trail as the AT, it is in the same general area. I was curious how I'd like the Southern Apps after so many years of being away and so many years of hiking out West. The BMT was a joy and was a trail I loved. Good to be back..

Again, I've only done one trail twice though I've thru-hiked multiple trails.
    Last edited by Mags; 12-14-2009 at 14:22.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I've only done one trail twice..and a relatively short trail at that (Vermont's Long Trail).

Some it felt the same as it was only two years apart (1997 and 1999). But I hiked the LT the year after I finished my AT thru. The trail was easier in 1999 than in 1997. (More experience, a little better shape, LIGHTER GEAR!). I enjoyed the experience more in 1999 overall.

I suspect if I did the AT or even the LT again a decade later, I would find the trail much different. Different people, different gear and (most importantly) different life experiences that would change how I would filter the trail.

Though the BMT is not strictly speaking the same trail as the AT, it is in the same general area. I was curious how I'd like the Southern Apps after so many years of being away and so many years of hiking out West. The BMT was a joy and was a trail I loved. Good to be back..

Again, I've only done one trail twice though I've thru-hiked multiple trails.
    Im looking at a possible BMT thru maybe next summer. Thanks Mags

it's just the reality of it. truth

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm finding section hiking the AT now much more interesting. Enjoying the scenery. Looking forward to a major section hike in 2011 of ME to MA (though I wish it were a SOBO thru. Don't think my hubby will let me get away with that one)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++