WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bear Canister Vs. Bear Bag

Having hiked in Yosemite where canisters are required, is it recommended to bag vs. can? I own the BV 500 and was wondering if I should use a bag vs. the can for size weight benefits?

Neither, just skip the shelters or heavily camped areas and you should be fine, sleep with your food or do the old pct style of bear bagging and you won't have to worry about the mini bears

A lighter option you could consider is an outsak or grubpack --- not bear proof, but fairly rodent proof.

I had been planning to bring my Ursack, another lighter-than-a-bear-can option, but on reflection I think I'll start without it and ask my wife to mail it out if it turns out that rodents are enough of an annoyance to pay the 8 oz weight penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrew View Post
    Having hiked in Yosemite where canisters are required, is it recommended to bag vs. can? I own the BV 500 and was wondering if I should use a bag vs. the can for size weight benefits?
    bag.............

Garlic
    Images

A silnylon stuff sack and 50' of paracord is all I've ever used everywhere except the Sierra Nevada. I usually hang the food, to keep the mice out of my tent more than anything else.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

You don't need a Bear Canister along the AT, learn the PCT method of hanging food and make sure you get a roll-down stuff stack, that's large enough to have all your food and cooking stuff if you are concerned.

I agree a bear can would be needless weight on the AT.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I hiked a section of Maine this summer with a lady that only needs 165 miles to complete the trail and she, like Lone Wolf and others has always slept with her pack and food in her tent with no problems.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    I had been planning to bring my Ursack, another lighter-than-a-bear-can option, but on reflection I think I'll start without it and ask my wife to mail it out if it turns out that rodents are enough of an annoyance to pay the 8 oz weight penalty.
    I started out going SOBO from Katahdin Stream campground with an Ursack this year. It didn't make it past White House Landing because of the weight penalty. I converted my much lighter pack liner into a food bag and used it for the duration of the hike. My Ursack was the most expensive item that I left in a hiker box this year and I am sure that someone was pleased with the find. As for my sil-nylon pack liner / food bag, it performed perfectly for the whole hike and I had no issues with mice or other critters chewing through. I used bear boxes / cables / poles where present and hung in the shelters form the cords with tin cans otherwise. No problems wharsoever.

thanks, PCT style it is.

bearcans are the envy of all when stuggeled with to carry,.....when they become the best chair. but they fail as a bear can. sleeping on my food as my pillow till i die. hanging when others make me. i make mice soup.eat bears and laugh at pillowless hikers. ha ha ha ha ha ha.
    matthewski

Images

Carry the Garcia BV500 in the DAKS (required) otherwise, I hang if in populated trail areas (near shelters) or sleep with my food and pack when not in populated areas. Garcia sent me one of their new lid designs 2 years ago to test in the DAKs, but no bears came forward to volunteer....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

++ New Posts ++