WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

This place used to be a lot more fun.
    ???

Images

Earlier today, a very well worded post was put up in regards to a person's experience on other boards.

It went away.

Perhaps it was collateral damage.

It was a good, straight forward post, and should be read by all WhiteBlaze members. My opinion.

The Weasel you left the site and started going by Rusty when it was moderated less. I have heard time reconciling that with what you just wrote.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Time and time again it comes to this power thing. It's not but no matter that I say it's not some of you will always think it is. Whatever. I just try to keep the place civil. That means follow the user agreement please. Having seen threads like this before, I was fairly certain folks would use it as a platform for dredging up past moderation.
    I feel a sense of sadness about this post. Over time, I've come to think that Alligator does not act out of a sense of "I have the power," and I have always understood that he acts from the best of intentions for WhiteBlaze and the users here. And, as I suggested in the post a little bit ago, he is doing what ATTroll wants, and that's the only "vote" that really counts.

But I wish sometimes that Alligator, who seems to do the vast majority of deletions and thread closures, could have a better understanding of how "keeping it civil" doesn't mean that he has to make unilateral decisions like, "This thread is going off topic and is closed" where there is no uncivility going on. Nor does it have to mean, "Post deleted" when someone makes a crusty comment; I don't agree with a lot of Lone Wolf's opinions, and sometimes in the past his - and, I emphasize, mine, maybe even more so -statements went way over the line. But LW's (and many others) were valued ("pithy" was a multi-layered comment that was often used) and added some delight and spice to puncture (mine and maybe a few other's) pomposity.

That's all gone now, because WB's Moderators differ from some of us about what "civil" means. To some of us, "civil" means open, clear, specific opinions, including on things that involve how politics and culture affect the AT and hiking, short of a line that involves threats, vulgarity, and personal attacks. That's a broad definition than our Moderators have, and - I emphasize it again - they are in charge, not us, as they seem to view "civil" as "non-controversial" and scrub WB accordingly.

So I've been wrong: Alligator - as is each of the Moderators here - is, I think, possessed of the best of intentions. There is, however, a road made of those. Nevertheless, I thank him for what he has tried to do. I hope he's right in the long haul.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

The Weasel you left the site and started going by Rusty when it was moderated less. I have heard time reconciling that with what you just wrote.
    As I said earlier, 'That was then, and this is now.' Perhaps you - and maybe a few others - will reconcile it better when you read my post above.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    Is it my imagination, or are the WhiteBlaze Forums less busy this year?

It seems to me that there are a lot less original posts going up and fewer responses to those posts. I would think that the forums would be busier than they are--as we are now deep into the time when people are planning their upcoming hikes.

What do others think? (What to the actual statistic show?)

While it is true that a fair number of the regular posters have left or severely cut back on posting, there are quite a few new faces who pop up everywhere.

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

Well, it could also be due to a lot of repetative nonsense, imo. I've only been hanging around for about a year and have seen the same comments coming from the same people over the same topics more times than I can count. After awhile, you can almost place bets on who will say what to whom and how that person will respond.

Then you get into the people who post who have absolutely NOTHING to add to the conversation, seemingly just to have something to say. Take the post I made about Boot Camp vs. Thru-hike, asking which was harder. Out of the 3 pages of replies it got, 75% of the people admitted up front they hadn't done EITHER of the two things I was asking about. What exactly is the point of that? Then, out of the 25% that was left, most of those admitted to having only done one OR the other, so at best, that's a half-baked opinion. I think I honestly got only 4-6 people who had actually done both. Keep in mind, I tried to keep it as broad and civil as possible, trying not to get into the age-old debate about which branch of the service was harder...but inevitably, it was still tossed into it within a page.

I have learned a lot from reading things here on the site, but what I'm most glad for is that I've identified those people who I feel have honest, factual opinions based off experience. Now I can just PM them when I have a question and avoid those who want to post incessantly just to hear themselves talk. If I wanted broad sweeping opinions not based in experience about any range of topics...I'd just call my mother.
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

Images

You can't expect them to read that. I read it and was embarrassed that I read the whole thing. Jeez Louise.

I need an aspirin.

#44 I speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by JokerJersey View Post
    Well, it could also be due to a lot of repetative nonsense, imo. I've only been hanging around for about a year and have seen the same comments coming from the same people over the same topics more times than I can count. After awhile, you can almost place bets on who will say what to whom and how that person will respond.

Then you get into the people who post who have absolutely NOTHING to add to the conversation, seemingly just to have something to say. Take the post I made about Boot Camp vs. Thru-hike, asking which was harder. Out of the 3 pages of replies it got, 75% of the people admitted up front they hadn't done EITHER of the two things I was asking about. What exactly is the point of that? Then, out of the 25% that was left, most of those admitted to having only done one OR the other, so at best, that's a half-baked opinion. I think I honestly got only 4-6 people who had actually done both. Keep in mind, I tried to keep it as broad and civil as possible, trying not to get into the age-old debate about which branch of the service was harder...but inevitably, it was still tossed into it within a page.

I have learned a lot from reading things here on the site, but what I'm most glad for is that I've identified those people who I feel have honest, factual opinions based off experience. Now I can just PM them when I have a question and avoid those who want to post incessantly just to hear themselves talk. If I wanted broad sweeping opinions not based in experience about any range of topics...I'd just call my mother.
    shelters suck.

Images

. *** If I wanted broad sweeping opinions not based in experience about any range of topics...I'd just call my mother.
    Maybe Mom has more experience, and knows more, than you think. Give her a call. Listen. Don't hang up.

TW

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    shelters suck.
    Yeah, they're full of mouse traps

Images

I'm thinking the "cool kids" have found something better to do - like hanging out somewhere smoking cigarettes and drinking beer.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Maybe Mom has more experience, and knows more, than you think. Give her a call. Listen. Don't hang up.

TW
    ROFL. Sorry TW, wayyy off base there. I have a relationship with my mom that most people couldn't even begin to comprehend. I not only love my parents, but like them as friends. Nice way to jump to conclusions though.
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Yeah, they're full of mouse traps
    Can't post in that thread anymore......
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

*** If I wanted broad sweeping opinions not based in experience about any range of topics...I'd just call my mother.
    ROFL. Sorry TW, wayyy off base there. I have a relationship with my mom that most people couldn't even begin to comprehend. I not only love my parents, but like them as friends. Nice way to jump to conclusions though.
    Glad to hear that.

TW

Images

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    Is it my imagination, or are the WhiteBlaze Forums less busy this year? ...

What do others think? ...
    Yes, I think it's your imagination.

And, for what it's worth, I think the moderation on WB has increased tremendously (for the good) in the past year or so, back to more like it used to be in the beginning.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

MB opinions are not sacrosanct. Without going into specifics, there are limitations for those in the user agreement.
    Believe me.....you have proven that point time and time again.

Which again answers the question as to why numbers are down.

There is a time for moderation, and a time to step back and let things occur as to appear not to be heavy-handed.

There are three moderators for the General forum.....not a single one balked at my comments.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Sorry........I stand corrected.

There are four moderators for the General Forum.

Not a single one balked at my comments.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

Wow, I dont get on here all day and look what happens That was a joke!!

My observation is that people are exploring more threads than just the general forum. I have noticed that more threads are being moved to proper places. Some people have just gotten tired of some of the BS (wont go into it) and left and gone over to the other site.
    Also, and I think Mags said it, its the holiday season. It always dies down a little. The thruhiker stuff will kick back up closer to mid march when the Rucks start up.
    AND, when people get "picked on" for being opinionated it starts a snowball affect.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
    This place used to be a lot more fun.
    I pointed that out almost verbatim but it was deleted. . . . .

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++