WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Are WhiteBlaze Forums less busy this year?

Is it my imagination, or are the WhiteBlaze Forums less busy this year?

It seems to me that there are a lot less original posts going up and fewer responses to those posts. I would think that the forums would be busier than they are--as we are now deep into the time when people are planning their upcoming hikes.

What do others think? (What to the actual statistic show?)
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    Is it my imagination, or are the WhiteBlaze Forums less busy this year?

It seems to me that there are a lot less original posts going up and fewer responses to those posts. I would think that the forums would be busier than they are--as we are now deep into the time when people are planning their upcoming hikes.

What do others think? (What to the actual statistic show?)
    I don't know the stats but if people use the search function it should be less busy. Almost every question has been answered a 1000 times.

Perhaps hikers are getting better at searching for the info they need in older threads.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Could be people are afraid if they ask a question that was already asked before some troll lurking here will jump on them. Heaven forbid a stupid question be asked.

Images

Very insightful.

I have an overwhelming sense of familiarity with this thread that shouldn't be familiar at all.

Journal Entries

I think we have become a less exciting forum, thanks, perhaps, to too many negative comments as has already been suggested. But also, I suspect, because we have become over regulated and over moderated.

The free flow of ideas has been muffled. It's ideas that keep a discussion interesting, and folks asking questions, commenting, and answering.

And, of course, the number of long distance hikers is declining as the population ages and as competing leisure activities take precedent.

Weary

I don’t think people using the "Search" function is a significant factor in the decline. I believe a bigger factor is the heavy moderation, but also it’s just the natural life and death cycle of everything. People are just burning out on the repetitiveness of the subject matter. I haven’t been here near as long as many and I feel that burnout when I look over the titles.

There are little flare ups now and then, but it does seem to be dying down. And without the great thread-battles the newbies become bored and don't help to keep the momentum going.

So why the apparent short life cycle of this website; maybe hiking in general is losing it's appeal as an activity, despite the apparent rescission-related spike of recent.

In short, I don't know just throwing a couple thoughts out there.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I think we have become a less exciting forum, thanks, perhaps, to too many negative comments as has already been suggested. But also, I suspect, because we have become over regulated and over moderated.

The free flow of ideas has been muffled. It's ideas that keep a discussion interesting, and folks asking questions, commenting, and answering.

And, of course, the number of long distance hikers is declining as the population ages and as competing leisure activities take precedent.

Weary
    Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I don’t think people using the "Search" function is a significant factor in the decline. I believe a bigger factor is the heavy moderation, but also it’s just the natural life and death cycle of everything. People are just burning out on the repetitiveness of the subject matter. I haven’t been here near as long as many and I feel that burnout when I look over the titles.

There are little flare ups now and then, but it does seem to be dying down. And without the great thread-battles the newbies become bored and don't help to keep the momentum going.

So why the apparent short life cycle of this website; maybe hiking in general is losing it's appeal as an activity, despite the apparent rescission-related spike of recent.

In short, I don't know just throwing a couple thoughts out there.
    Oh crap! did we just have a mind meld? Imagine that

Images

Default numbers

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post

Weary
    I call BS on this one. Let's see if we can get the numbers up.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Hyway View Post
    I have an overwhelming sense of familiarity with this thread that shouldn't be familiar at all.
    "gimme a 't'"..........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Has anyone noticed what time of the year it is? People are busy with social obligations, shopping (for better or worse) and just the business of the seasons in general.

The test is in Jan/Feb when or if things pick up..esp as thru-hiking season rapidly approaches.
    Last edited by Mags; 12-15-2009 at 14:15.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

The important thing to remember is that I'm as interesting as ever but some of you people...welll...boring.

I blame hunting season, back when I was hunting I wasn't on this site out all, I was out hiking and getting dinner. Just enjoying the good real life where I don't have to deal with internet personalities and mods, it'll be awesome when I get back out there after this wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    I blame hunting season....
    Did we lose THAT many hikers this year?

Wear orange folks..........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    I blame hunting season, back when I was hunting I wasn't on this site out all, I was out hiking and getting dinner. Just enjoying the good real life where I don't have to deal with internet personalities and mods, it'll be awesome when I get back out there after this wednesday.
    so are you saying that Internet mods with guns out in the woods on the AT during season is the problem? I am sure that would change if they took their ultralight dog with them.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    so are you saying that Internet mods with guns out in the woods on the AT during season is the problem? I am sure that would change if they took their ultralight dog with them.
    Nah, its just feral hogs that are the problem. I know that to some people here there is a close correlation between the two, but feral hogs are known for intelligence and procreation, thats how you can tell them apart

Images

The fact that I have watched a number of posts be deleted from this thread already might be one aspect. Who wants to post when their posts just get deleted? Completely over moderated website...

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    The fact that I have watched a number of posts be deleted from this thread already might be one aspect. Who wants to post when their posts just get deleted? Completely over moderated website...
    Yes! Or, um, I remember that just a few years ago, the complaint was that lack of moderation meant that new people were turned off by all of the unproductive squabbling, and so didn't post.

It's all so confusing . . .
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Yes! Or, um, I remember that just a few years ago, the complaint was that lack of moderation meant that new people were turned off by all of the unproductive squabbling, and so didn't post.

It's all so confusing . . .
    Which meant that people like me could tell you that you needed to carry at least 48 rolls of tp, a chain saw, 42 condoms (you know, to waterproof your pack), a 7200 CI bag, and a four season mountaineering tent for an overnight trip, and if you were condescending and telling me that I was a jerk, then your post got deleted. Which brings us to today

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++