WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shorts in the Winter

Hi All,

I have been lurking around this forum for a while and soaking up all the great advise that has been given. Going on a hike this weekend in NC and with temps expected to be around 40's for highs, just wondering if anybody hikes in shorts this time of year. I know running, I sweat no matter what the temp is, but dont know if packing some pants along with my tights would be advisable? Anybody hike hot like me?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ihearbanjomusic View Post
    Hi All,

I have been lurking around this forum for a while and soaking up all the great advise that has been given. Going on a hike this weekend in NC and with temps expected to be around 40's for highs, just wondering if anybody hikes in shorts this time of year. I know running, I sweat no matter what the temp is, but dont know if packing some pants along with my tights would be advisable? Anybody hike hot like me?
    I tend to wear shorts as long as the temp is about 40 or so and I keep moving. I'll put on layers for stops and breaks. It's all up to you and your comfort level. Just do what works for you. I'm probably going to be hiking in GA this weekend with a couple other WB'ers and may go to shorts, depending on weather and temp. Just remember, zip-offs are your friend.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I like Life,Life likes Me,Life and I very fully Agree.. Saint Alfonzo's Avatar
    Images

Hello Ihearbanjomusic. Welcome to Whiteblaze. I to am a shorts person. Year round. My legs dont get cold. And I do sweat real easy, just warm blooded I guess.. TAKE CARE and Good Hiking..
    They never get old, They always stay new, Those three little words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.

I bring zip offs and long johns. Usually I'll hike in shorts and turn them into pants at camp (maybe put on the long johns). Thats assuming that I get to my destination early enough to do more than set up my tarp and sleep.

Images

I am in the same boat as Saint Alfonzo, with one difference. I am cold natured, sleep cold, and have to work pretty hard to really break into a good sweat. That said though, it has to be pretty dang cold for me to use my tights, otherwise I am just about always in shorts. My legs just don't seem to get cold. I rarely use pants unless there is deep snow, and it is bitterly cold or raining hard.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I know a young thru hiker back in '06 who hiked in shorts in Feb. Hence his trail name Shorts. If you're comfortable with it, why not?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Shorts all year long for me. Long john bottoms under them if it's very cold, and/or rain pants if the weather is really bad. Gaiters if the snow or mud is really deep. But I can't stand hiking in long pants.

Just have the rain pants in case the weather gets bad. It is December, after all.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I wear shorts and tshirts year round. If it gets down below freezing I may wear a long sleeve shirt or throw on a hoody and I may even switch to long pants when it gets down below 20 or so. All temps are in F not C or K

Images

Generally I like to hike in shorts any time it's over about 40*. Below that or with substantial wind, I usually wear some long johns under the shorts. It's not usually until it gets cold that I wear other pants over the long johns.

I'm giving in to older age by keeping my knees covered when it gets below freezing. My theory is that the knee will work more efficiently if it is relatively warm. Don't want to accelerate any knee deterioration. Same reason I use poles now, and have substantially lightened my pack weight.

That said, when I was in college at Michigan State, there was an oriental student who was well known around campus. He would walk to classes year round wearing shorts and a t-shirt. No jackets/hats/gloves. This was year round and walking across campus, not just next door. He was a bit of a legend and thought to be kinda crazy, but every day he would be out there.

My point, if you feel comfortable in shorts, wear them.

Thanks for the welcome Saint Alfonzo

Images

Mr. Alfonzo really hikes in a snowmobile suit.

Sized up, room for a pack.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

What I call the dorky "shorts and long johns look" is how I backpack. I (rarely) will throw on rain pants if it is snowing out/cold rain. It is a versatile combo that works in a wide range of conditions.

Utah over Thanksgiving week. The temps were in the mid-high 30s during the day.

The only time I use pants in the outdoors is when I am skiing (or the increasingly rare snowshoe) in what I think of as real winter conditions.

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Are those designer shorts, the kind with the heated pockets?

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Are those designer shorts, the kind with the heated pockets?
    No..but the pockets in the back are large enough to hold Hot Pockets...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkl4Y0sxerQ
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    What I call the dorky "shorts and long johns look" is how I backpack.
    I call that look the "Peter Pan".

Living in the South, I hike in shorts more in the winter than the summer. During the summer, on rougher trails like the Pinhoti or BMT, I need pants to fend off ticks and poison ivy.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I call that look the "Peter Pan".
    A balding, hairy, five o'clock shadow Peter Pan....
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Yes I wear shorts. Save the long pants for camp, unless it's just too cold and windy.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Shorts all year long for me. Long john bottoms under them if it's very cold, and/or rain pants if the weather is really bad. Gaiters if the snow or mud is really deep. But I can't stand hiking in long pants.

Just have the rain pants in case the weather gets bad. It is December, after all.
    Mags fotogs and this topic got me into my pics(see below). Shorts Always! Always In Shorts! Or at least most of the time. And bigcranky hits it on the head.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Tipi, you've always got some of the best backwoods pics on the site, even if you are anti hammock.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Default I'd rather have a Bottle in front of Me, than have a Frontal Lobotomy......DR. DEMENT

Saint Alfonzo

I'd rather have a Bottle in front of Me, than have a Frontal Lobotomy......DR. DEMENTO...

From Existential Blues by Tom T-Bone Stankus

...I always enjoyed listening to the Dr and have several of his CDs
    </SPAN>
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++