WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Winton Porter's book, questions

I really enjoyed "Just Passin' Thru" and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys hiking and especially to those who have been to Mountain Crossings.

Does anyone know if Lorac made it to Maine? Of all the people portrayed in his book, she's the one who really hit me hard. Porter did a great job writing about her, too. If anyone knows more about her hike, please share.

The "Samsonite Twins." I don't understand them at all. Given the type of car their mom drove, I don't think that poverty is the reason they were carrying such crappy, inadequate gear. Winton took care of them for 3 weeks, so was it the mom failing to bring the needed stuff that pushed his "reset button"? I couldn't tell if the twins deliberately used him or if they were unable to stand up to their mom. Opinions?

Finally, I never thought of Porter having to rescue so many hikers, but given it's just 30 miles from Springer, I guess it makes perfect sense. I was impressed that he felt something of an obligation to make sure that those who pass through Mt. Crossings have the gear to do so safely.

One last thing -- the dude's a helluva a trail runner. Kudos for his PR going up Blood Mt.

To answer my own question, I wrote Winton Porter an email about Lorac and received a response within hours. I did not ask about the Samsonite Twins becaue I didn't want to waste more of his time than I already did. Here is what he wrote:

"
    John- thanks for the email and the wonderful accolades about the book. The truth is—I really don’t know what happen to Lorac—since they really are Just Passin’ Thru. What is interesting – about a month ago shoved in an old drawer in my wife’s office – I found a thank you card from Carol. It thanked me for helping her with the pack and for giving her the trail name “Lorac” - it was dated 2004. I never was certain if she ever took the trail name- but the card confirmed that she did.

I assume that Carol is no longer with us – but hopefully she will live in the hearts of millions in “Just Passin’ Thru. Let me know if you ever find anything about her.

Peace
    Winton

Images

My daughter recently sent me Winton's book for my birthday. A FUN read!
    Magic Man
    Boo-Boo (ME->GA SOBO '07)'s dad

Winton will have his book for sale and do signings at the Southern Ruck.

will the book ever save a life by being used to make a life saveing fire? yes. will the book provide toilet papper at some future time? yes. will the book become a wedge to hold open doors for food layden hikers returning to hostel from town? maby. will the book be used to level a rocking picinic table. possibly. can the book swat flys? uhhuh. cover macs and cheese from rain? duh.what about rolling a ciggetett on the book. just did it. okay. lets say the price of cheese in finnland was skyrocketing. and you had just passed up an oppurtunity to invest big and make millions. and lets say your friends were all calling to laugh at you about it and the phone was rinning and pissing you off. could the book be thrown at the phone to knock off the receiver so you could yell shut up without getting out of bed? yes.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    will the book ever save a life by being used to make a life saveing fire? yes. will the book provide toilet papper at some future time? yes. will the book become a wedge to hold open doors for food layden hikers returning to hostel from town? maby. will the book be used to level a rocking picinic table. possibly. can the book swat flys? uhhuh. cover macs and cheese from rain? duh.what about rolling a ciggetett on the book. just did it. okay. lets say the price of cheese in finnland was skyrocketing. and you had just passed up an oppurtunity to invest big and make millions. and lets say your friends were all calling to laugh at you about it and the phone was rinning and pissing you off. could the book be thrown at the phone to knock off the receiver so you could yell shut up without getting out of bed? yes.
    blah, blah, blah
    It's a great day to be alive !

Default ===yawn===

Dude, you need to switch to decaf...................

El Sordo
    Images

e.e. cummings sucked.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Thread bump. Got the book for Xmas and really enjoyed it. I'm interested to hear about any info about the questions originally posted. That picture just prior to Chapter 5 is MS, no? (back side shot, every bit of skin covered, looks like a large old woman)

Matthewski gets his 15min in the book so I don't understand his rant above, but then that isn't really saying much. Most of the time I think I get his vibe, but not this one.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

no rant. endearment. i never read a book.
    matthewski

I read the book in a day- really enjoyed it.

I'm not saying that cause I'll be "working" there this spring.

Hey Winton, about that raise...

Images

Thumbs up Wooooo Hoooooo!!!! Autographed, plus!

Stopped by Mountain Crossings in Neels Gap yesterday on the way home from visiting family in South Carolina. I had taken my copy of the book with me on this chance.

No only did Winton graciously autograph it for me, but had two other characters from the book itself, who were in the store, also autograph it for me! His daughter, Hurricane Alli, and also Alpine. All those folks love hikers. Or, just tolerate us really well? Naw, it's love. LOL

And to top it off, while in SC, I had gotten a Visa gift card for Christmas, which didn't make it past the stop at Mountains Crossings! LOL Always nice to stop off in Neels Gap!

P.S. Told Winton he had painted himself into a corner by describing all those journals (source materials) he has, so that we're all waiting on sequels!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Default first?

no rant. endearment. i never read a book.
    No misspellings? I must have hit a nerve.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Alpine is real good people. When I need gear I always look for him. he will let you know straight up what works and what doesn't.
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spogatz View Post
    Alpine is real good people. When I need gear I always look for him. he will let you know straight up what works and what doesn't.
    I had the pleasure of meeting Alpine and Princess Brat in 2007 when I visited Boo-Boo in Pennsylvania during her thru hike. Two VERY nice people!
    Magic Man

Images

Default Alpine finishes 1st in the Half Gallon Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Spogatz View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvmj2n5p9SY
    Magic Man

Images

Alpine and Jen got married a couple of months ago and still work at the store.
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

I got a copy of Winton's book from the ATC, and, too, enjoyed it as well. For those of you interested, it's an easy, fun read, and would really recommend it. We already know that he's a great guy, but in addition he REALLY has great writing skills.
    Think Spring

Images

Got my copy from the jolly old man himself on Christmas day.

wondering how he knew about Wintons' book living in the North Pole.

Must be that Santa guy who sometimes posts here.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Got our copy today as a present. Really excitted about reading it. Congrats to all of you that are in it. Love the pic of the legends near the beginning

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++