WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default REI Shuksan Parka

I've had one for a couple of months now and I thought I'd give my "initial impression" here.
    Waterproof: It has a fantastic DWR treatment on the outer shell. The zippers are completely waterproof.
    Fit: The XL fits me as an XL should. The tail covers mine (19.5" torso) and the shoulders are broad enough so the sleeves don't pinch when I reach up.
    Features: The hood - large volume - can fit over a climbing helmet (I haven't tried it - I don't climb). When cinched down it tends to push the visor over my eyes (the only thing that stops it are my glasses). Imo it could use improvement. The sleeves are long enough to cover the back of my hands and the top of the sleeve is cleverly cut longer than the bottom for water runoff. The cuffs are velcro adjustable and open wide enough to go over my bulky gloves.
    Quality of workmanship/materials: Both are excellent. I have a friend who said that the jacket is a little heavy for his liking (but I bought it for winter mountaineering and might be sliding on ice or even rock from time to time). It should hold up very well.
    Breathability: Here's the disappointment. I'd heard that eVent was much more breathable than any Gore-tex product - and it probably is, BUT it was overwhelmed by my sweat when I was shovelling snow yesterday. I had a Golite Coal (Polarguard insulated) under it in 23 degree weather. I admit I was a little warm, and if I were hiking I would've layered better, but the nylon outer fabric on the Coal jacket was obviously wet (not just damp) from condensed sweat, and the insulation in the jacket was heavy with perspiration.
    If I had dressed more lightly I wouldn't have worked up such a sweat, BUT I would have been more impressed if the jacket actually breathed a little better than it did. It needs pit zips (for me, at least), I don't care what anyone else says.
    In short, an excellent (but pricey) garment which should last a long time and is at least as breathable as the best of the Gore-tex incarnations which are truly completely waterproof.
    "SIGH", no holy grail yet.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I think parkas are something you should be able to walk in if it is is cold enough, but you should always have some sort of wool layer under them to manage moisture, and you pretty much always have to take them off for something like shovelling snow. I know I try and get away with putting mine on when its really blowing, going from a nice warm house and all, but shovelling is wet work no matter how you slice it.

With that in mind, I think the wool layer underneath should be thick enough for when you need to be more active, and so the down layer only needs to provide the extra for when you are sitting around or walking slow without much post-holing. That's where it gets so tricky. You have to add an inner shell, plus a fairly robust outershell if you want it for rain also, but unless its really cold you might only need and extra 1/4" to 1/2" or so of extra layering. For that same weight, you might just go with thicker wool and fleece, which doesn't require as much protection.

Here's a link:http://www.rei.com/product/770843
    It's a rain jacket (I called it a parka, which to me means "long jacket"). It is a shell.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

hi tinker,

i must say i have not seen any rei garment with event. however i do have a jacket from vaude, a german manufacturer. its a prototype in event fabric. and i must say, i have never before seen anything nearly as breathable as this jacket. it is much better than any goretex i had, better than any sympatex i had. i never need to open the pit-zips, i have the feeling it breathes almost as well as my windstopper, with the additional waterproofness.

iŽll definitely get a new event jacket when this one wears out.

greets
    lucky luke
    happy trails
    lucky luke

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I've had good results from my Integral Designs eVent Parka (9.5 oz, $240), although the hem rode up on my first trip, letting water drip down my backside (solved that by creating a velcro pairing with the rain pants!). I've found the parka to be much better than Gore-Tex and Frogg Toggs, but certainly not perfect. Pit zips would be a definite improvement.

There's nothing out there that will keep up with the heat and perspiration generated by dedicated snow shoveling, or rapid climbing with a heavy pack.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I've had good results from my Integral Designs eVent Parka (9.5 oz, $240), although the hem rode up on my first trip, letting water drip down my backside (solved that by creating a velcro pairing with the rain pants!). I've found the parka to be much better than Gore-Tex and Frogg Toggs, but certainly not perfect. Pit zips would be a definite improvement.

There's nothing out there that will keep up with the heat and perspiration generated by dedicated snow shoveling, or rapid climbing with a heavy pack.
    You said it better than I did, with fewer words .
    REI, if you're listening, pit zips next production run, please.
    I'm beginning to think that the excellent DWR treatment on the Shuksan may actually hinder the breathability of the eVent membrane a bit.

Thanks for the review, I'll just stick with my Marmot Precip. With pitzips I don't have any ventilation issues, it breathes well enough for me, and it is CHEAP. It is also quite waterproof, at least so far.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Thanks for the review, I'll just stick with my Marmot Precip. With pitzips I don't have any ventilation issues, it breathes well enough for me, and it is CHEAP. It is also quite waterproof, at least so far.
    I used it for years myself because my winter mountaineering parka is so heavy (Gore-tex, 2lb. 10 ozs.).
    Not breathable, really, but light and tough and the ventilation is very good. The coating has peeled around the neck in all the Precip I've owned in a year or less of heavy use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I used it for years myself because my winter mountaineering parka is so heavy (Gore-tex, 2lb. 10 ozs.).
    Not breathable, really, but light and tough and the ventilation is very good. The coating has peeled around the neck in all the Precip I've owned in a year or less of heavy use.
    Others have posted of having that happen. One posted that marmot sent them a free replacement.

Default "Precip"...

"Knee",

You can have Marmot Precip. It will soon delamainate around the neck area, as it did on two of my friends' Precip parkas. Its breathability can't come close to GTX PacLite but yet Marmot prices it the same as Cabela's Rainy River PacLite parka & pants.

Eric

++ New Posts ++