WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Why/How is SOBO better?

In another thread, someone said:

SOBO is much better
    but there was no explanation why or how SOBO is better (in that person's opinion.)

So.... why or how is SOBO better?

Anyone care to elaborate?

Thanks

Some people say that since there is less of a crowd hiking with you....

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

It's all down hill?
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Images

You have the possibility of having prime seasons on your whole hike--summer on the north end of the trail; peak color season through the middle part; relatively mild winter weather (no bugs! no leaves on the trees, so you have continuous views!) through the southern section. And if solitude is one of the things you're looking for, you can find it.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

2010 complete

Someone mentioned that there isn't the time crunch to get finished whereas Springer doesn't close.

I would agree that ME and NH are the toughest states and it might be better to knock them out first. I met NOBOs this year in NH that were considering quitting as they entered the Whites.

As about everyone has mentioned. . . if you are hoping for a little solitude, SOBO offers such. . . that and the seasons set up nicely so that you could probably do most if not all of the trail with one set of gear. . .

me and my girlfriend(imaginary) like to do it sobo cause its just better. she likes it.and i do too. we do it nobo lots dont get me wrong. but sobo is hot.
    matthewski

That's probly the most complete answer. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Zoooma View Post

but there was no explanation why or how SOBO is better (in that person's opinion.)

Thanks
    just do it and find out for yourself. doesn't matter what someone says

damm lwolf. your posts are like getting yelled at by dad.
    southbound is cooler by billions cause its harder to be alone so much more and its harder and its sucky to miss the class and so all in all if you do it your like a peirced hippy.superfreakycool
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zoooma View Post

Thanks
    That's a Lone Wolf quote, isn't it?

SoBo you hike with fewer people, but run into plenty. You start later. You are doing the reverse of the "norm", to which more people and hostels cater to, but unless you start really late, they'll probably all still be open and waiting with tired, yet open arms. (Maybe they get their second wind for SoBos?)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

But I've never done a SoBo thru, and my NoBo thru has not yet taken place either (two months!!!!)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

I live in Maine and have worked as a Volunteer Trail maintainer for over thirty years. I have seen a lot of hikers over the years. I have also done two thru-hikes, both of them northbound ('77 & '82). I would say that northbound is easier, both physically and the advantage of having "easier" Trail to start out on. Maine hiking begins around mid-May. Even then, there is still deep snow in the higher mountains. Add in the dangerous stream crossings from the winter runnoff (Maine has a no bridging policy, so most river/stream crossings are fords), the hordes of biting black flies, the mosquitoes, the mud, the spring rains the wet rocks and tangles of roots and you have a much more difficult beginning. This doesn't even account for the steep climbs utilizing New England style switchbacks (straight up and straight down). Maine is tough and then there is New Hampshire that soon follows! By the time you hit NH, the crowds are arriving, the camp and scout groups are too and the Trail is much more crowded as you also start running into the Northbound hikers. Forget about staying in a shelter. You'll be lucky if there is room. I see a lot of southbound hikers dropping out by the time they reach Monson; many bailing out even before they get there. The advantages of heading North are many, despite the crowds beginning at Springer. Would I ever consider a Southbound thru-hike?...Absolutely! Any time spent on the Trail is better than time spent elsewhere.

Images

Where bouts is the 2,000 mile destination headed sobo?

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Where bouts is the 2,000 mile destination headed sobo?
    About 175 miles from springer. . .

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    But I've never done a SoBo thru, and my NoBo thru has not yet taken place either (two months!!!!)
    Now that there's funny! Don't take it wrong, it's nothing against you as I believe you're a hiker. This statement just REALLY reminded me of my Brother-in-Law who hasn't done anything, but is an expert in everything and is the first to tell you about it! LOL Enjoy your hike!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

Well, I'll get back to you in September, then you can tell your bro to suck it!

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Deal! I believe you're going to make it. Have fun!!!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

50/50 chance

If I can ever manage a thru hike...and I hope to someday, I will have to SoBo also. We have a very busy Spring season here on our farm with mares foaling and such. Generally they are done by June so that leaves the rest of the year much more open. I also like the idea of not having to worry about not making it to Katahdin in time for snow as well as managing to hike in cooler weather a bit more...fewer insects...etc...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++