WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Red face Kelty Grand Mesa 2 durability

Hey all - I've had a Kelty Grand Mesa 2 for a couple of years now and it has worked well for what I paid for it (less than $100 at EMS!). My boyfriend and I are planning a thru-hike this year and he's insisting we get a new tent (most likely a Hubba Hubba). The vestibule on my Grand Mesa isn't that large so it's hard to keep our packs covered at night and it *would* be nice to have two doors but I think that $$ would be best spent elsewhere. We've done close to 30 nights in it and fortunately it hasn't poured on us any of those nights so I'm not sure it will hold up in serious rain. Has anyone taken a Grand Mesa out for a thru-hike? Did it survive? We'll be taking a ground sheet with us.

I've heard of all the glory of a Hubba Hubba and would like one too, but I think I'd rather spend my money on a bag for the warmer months. I have a -5 REI kilo plus that is pretty large even when compressed.

Thoughts?

If your happy with the tent, then I think your fine. I do own the Kelty tent you speak of (mine is a front opener, no side doors) and hiked in Vermont this summer in it, and I spent a rainy night in my grand mesa with no problems. The vestibule is large enough, just got to stake out the guy lines tight. The only issue I might have for you is that it seems a little small for two adults, but I really enjoyed tenting in the mesa, as it provided a light weight, quality three season tent and at low cost. I say stick to your guns and spend your money on other gear, but thats just my opinion and it doesn't mean much for your hike.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Our scout troop has had the Kelty teton 4 tents in use, same basic design and fabric, likely, for 5 + years. lots of rain and abuse, very good tents. The only issues with use we have had is the clips that the fly goes into on the body. The clips break/wear out, but could be scout abuse. Kelty sent us some for free, after asking politely. If you have this design, you might want a spare clip. Otherwise, real good tents.

Christus Cowboy
    Images

I have a Kelty Gunnison 2 which is close to the Mesa model except it has two side doors rather than one door in the front. I have had this tent many different environments and weather conditions and it has held up well. My Gunnison is a bit heavy at just over 5lbs. but the Mesa may be little lighter. If weight is still an issue and you want to still use this tent you can divide up the tent with one individual carrying the tent and the other carrying the rainfly.....
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Thanks all. Given the $ price of the tent I have a fear that I might end up getting what I pay for. Then again, I've hear horror stories of expensive tents as well, so I might just stay with it and budget for a new tent on the trail if the Mesa fails terribly.

Weight isn't really an issue.. the Grand Mesa is listed at 4 lb 10 oz and most other tents I would consider are the same or over (hubba hubba is 4 lb 11oz). I havent actually weighed either, so there could be some discrepancy.

I'll admit that it's a little on the small side, but we're 2 relatively small people so it balances out. Most 2 persons tents i'm been looking for do provide a large vestibule and/or interior space however.

Buz - good idea on getting some spare clips. Glad to know Kelty gear can handle the "scout abuse" you speak of. I like to know my gear can keep up with me and be able to handle whatever abuse I might throw at it as well. Thanks

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

It's a good tent for the money.

I have a Grand Mesa 2 that I bought about a year ago. I haven't thru hiked with it but I have used it several times and it has held up fine in rain. Of course I hit it with some camp-dry just to make sure. Before I bought it I researched all the other popular tents like the Hubba's and came to the conclusion that it's just as good of a quality tent. The difference between it and tents that cost hundreds more are very little. You can get something that's a little lighter but the GM2 is pretty light at, I think, about 4 pounds. Otherwise, it has plenty of net, a good fitting rainfly, simple and quick setup, and good durability. You may want something a little bigger for two people but for a couple it should be fine. I planned on using mine solo mostly and putting my stuff inside but I've been on two trips with it where I slept with another person and it was comfortable.

Images

I have the Kelty Teton 2 which has same material, just a different lay out. I am happy with mine. Also, STICK has a review of Grand Mesa I believe on his blog or something.

I would suggest that you make a footprint for the Vestibule area to put your gear on, step on, or whatever. It'll be very light and will double as a trail seat while on the trail.

Hike On,

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
    I have the Kelty Teton 2 which has same material, just a different lay out. I am happy with mine. Also, STICK has a review of Grand Mesa I believe on his blog or something.

I would suggest that you make a footprint for the Vestibule area to put your gear on, step on, or whatever. It'll be very light and will double as a trail seat while on the trail.

Hike On,

SMSP
    SMSP

I had to decide between Teton 2 legroom and the GM2 full fly coverage as I use the tent for 3++ season hiking. How does the Teton 2 fly perform in nasty weather?

I have the GM2 and I must say that for the money I am very happy with it. However, I am now evolving my gear, and that tent is simply too heavy. I am looking at a MLD Solomid or Duomid to take it's place.

The only complaint I have is that my head and feet of my sleeping bag touches the wall. I am only 5'10" and I use a regular 6' bag and use a NeoAir and a Exped Synmat inside it. Of course that doesn't mean the tent is bad. I knew that when I bought it...kinda (I bought it as a total newb so I didn't really think about that stuff...)

It has stood up to some heavy rains and kept me completely dry. As well it has stood up to some strong winds and has remained standing. I have a video of the tent in some pretty high winds on top of Max Patch posted on my blog:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/2010/10...h-trip-report/

IMO, if it works for you, keep it. I do assume you have a funds set aside to replace gear though. In the mean time, try to check out some tents you may be interested in and see how easy it would be for you to get one while on the trail if needed. Leave a detailed list with someone (model tent you want and a website/store you want it to come from) that will be able to pick it up for you and mail it to you. Of course keep in mind that some of the cottage stores may have a waiting period, or the big box stores may simply be out of the tent.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

++ New Posts ++