Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    ...If hitching to town, try to get a partner...
    Do not hitch alone under any circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    That is unreasonable.
    Sometimes what needs to be done should be done.
    It's not always possible to find someone else at the road crossing at the same time, going in the same direction. Hitchiking alone as a female is not a predictor of instant doom, especially along the trail. The townies usually know what's going on and aren't out to steal your soul because you were thumbing a ride alone. Some pick up hikers every morning on their way to work. It's common and much less dangerous than hitching anywhere else.

Just use some common sense and don't stand at the road like a scared bunny. Confidence and smarts!

Me: female, usually a solo hiker, 2700+ AT miles '08-'09, known to hitchike alone when called for

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by G. Rabbit View Post
    That is unreasonable.
    Sometimes what needs to be done should be done.
    It's not always possible to find someone else at the road crossing at the same time, going in the same direction. Hitchiking alone as a female
    How is that unreasonable. Male or female you shouldn't hitch alone. And if you can walk 2000+ miles from GA to ME you can walk 10 miles into town.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    How is that unreasonable. Male or female you shouldn't hitch alone. And if you can walk 2000+ miles from GA to ME you can walk 10 miles into town.
    How much road walking have you done? Sometimes they aren't so bad, but busy winding highways without shoulders aren't fun to walk any miles on. It's far more dangerous than the alternative. That's just my opinion.
    Yes, it is better to be with another person, but that doesn't mean you should NEVER EVER hitch alone. There are few things that anyone should tell another to never do under any circumstances. That specifically is what was so unreasonable.

I feel you have to use common sense and that common sense is going to be based on your own experiences up to the time you have set foot on the trail. If you've never had a bad experience, you are more likely to be trusting than perhaps a woman who already has faced some bad things happening to her.

I'm a woman hiker. I am not a solo hiker most of the time but, like any two people who hike together, my husband and I don't hike at the exact same pace. So we do get separated, even if we are trying not to. It just happens.

Because I know that we can't always hike together, I insist that we do not share equipment. Each of us has our own food, our own tent, our own means of starting fire. I feel I am responsible for maintaining my own safety. In that same vein, I take precautions for my own safety.

Yes, the AT is statistically much safer than walking a city street, I am sure of this. That does not mean evil doesn't exist and it doesn't mean the nice person walking behind you isn't the evil. I do not have to be paranoid, but I personally cannot hike without assuring that I've done what I need to do to be as safe as I can. There are people who do want to hurt you and, as safe as the AT is, it is not a predator-free zone.

Use your head and take it upon yourself not to be a victim, whatever that means for you as a woman and a human being. At the very least, think through scenarios that might occur and practice in your head how you might deal with them.

Enough from me!

Good advice from people on here. May I also just say to keep in mind that bad people are not always going to look like Charles Manson either.

People who might do you harm are not always going to "look" like it, or act like it. So, the pleasant looking, seemingly good natured fellow who you meet up with on a trail who strikes up a normal conversation with you could be your worst enemy. So many people think that just because someone smiles and is pleasant to them, and does not look creepy, that they are safe to be around.

Just saying keep an open mind on both sides, and you should do well.

Pink -

Been asked this questions so many times - "Are you hiking alone/by yourself, etc. etc. etc.?" Last summer I was asked in town "Aren't you scared being out there by yourself?" Well, yes I do hike alone but am never truly alone, and yes - it does get scary from time to time, but then like everything else there's good bits too.

So often I want to reply, "Well, how was it crossing the city street the other day in ____ (name any major city) - did you feel safe?" Not to be unkind or anything - being out in the woods is pretty much like anywhere else...using common sense, trusting my gut, being prepared, and well... enjoying my time out there. Traveling solo for many years, as well as hiking, has taught alot about being flexible and adaptable to any situation, culture, or group of people - and how to stay safe.

Hey, good luck with your time in the woods and enjoy - there's lot of great people around and you always have choices.

Journal Entries

Carry a whistle around yor neck - it's light and makes a lot of noise. Just in case.
    You should also have a knife or pepper spray handy if you feel your size or ability to defend yourself is in question.
    99% of the people out there are on your side but hey, Be Prepared.....
    Good luck and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by WalkSoftly33 View Post
    Has anyone seen the movie Signs with Mel Gibson and Jauqen Phoenix The last words Mel's wifes character said to him before she died sound earily similar to Kali's comments "Baseball Bat, Swing Away"

Any how she does make the same point that most have made about trusting your instincts and observing your surrondings...just in a unique way, slightly exagerated I hope.

I dont want to start a religious debate either but since it was mentioned...

The tale of the guy who was stuck on a roof of a house during a flood, a boat came by offering to help, he says "no the lord will save me" a second boat comes buy again he responds "no the lord will save me"...the guy dies in the flood...when he gets to the pearly gates he ask god "why didnt you save me from the flood?" god responds "I sent you two freakin boats" (pursuit of happiness maybe)

Moral of the Story - regardless of your belief system, dont wait on a miracle, reality is infront of you, be as independent as you can be, be aware of what is around you, and as others have said trust your instincts but give trust to the people you meet and you will recieve it back. A few bad apples are not worth the loneliness of always protecting yourself and never trusting a sole. I like to treat it like the justice system trust until proven otherwise. I have only weekend hiked parts of the MA, NY sections of the AT, met some great people on the trail. My adivce is more how I try to live but applies to the AT I feel. I am a guy so I do not have the the sames concerns but all the same for the most part I think.

-Walk Softly and Carry a Big Spirit
    Yea, your tale of the stupid guy on the roof, has nothing to do with my beliefs, or faith in God, it also gives the idea that people of certain faiths are stupid, thanks, and not what i was implying at all. But thanks for the short story.

This thread is awesome.

Pink, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman777 View Post
    Ok! Seriously! No one is going to comment on the creepy talk by "Dancing with Kali?" Im a former marine with law enforcement training and it's creeping me out. Listen Pink, im sure you can tell the good advice from the worthless. Don't be going and reading all the junk about Gary Hilton. You will meet some fine people on the AT. Besides you have the number one body gaurd of all time, his name is Jesus. I really hope you can be at peace on your trip. Just enjoy it, the AT is amazing. God bless.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnman777 View Post
    Yea, your tale of the stupid guy on the roof, has nothing to do with my beliefs, or faith in God, it also gives the idea that people of certain faiths are stupid, thanks, and not what i was implying at all. But thanks for the short story.
    Mtnman,

I was trying to explain self reliance/presevation within the context of faith. I (think I) understand that you were saying that he will look out for her and protect her. ("Jesus being a bodyguard.") I Just wanted to make sure the bases were covered. I felt the story should be told because there are those of the mind that will toss everything up to god, that he will take care of everything. The thing is he gave us a brain for a reason... He only helps those who help them selves kinda thing. The story more or less is for people to not let there faith blind them from what is in front of them. I was not saying to not have faith or faith is wrong. I apoligize if it came off differently. I think it is important for people to help themselves, to be pragmatic in situtations that arise in life and on the trail.

I did not say any thing about the man being "stupid" or people of a certain faith being "stupid" that is the conclusions that you drew from reading the story.

It takes courage to have faith...faith in god, faith in other people... I just think you need to have the courage to have faith in yourself as well.

I did say I didnt want to start a debate!

Images

I'm a 19 year old female, about to leave for my thru hike. I'm starting with a partner (just to get oriented to hiking life) and we may stay together, may not. Solo hiking as a female is pretty safe. I carry a whistle around my neck (and never, ever take it off) and dogtags with my emergency info printed on 'em.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

I would never recommend hiking alone as a female, however buff and capable you may be. Best to take a dog, find trustworthy female hikers along the way; and for sure take pepper spray. Most people out on the trail are decent and respectful, but there are always "questionable" ones who can make you feel uneasy. don't take chances. Don't risk ruining your hike due to naivete.

Images

If you were my daughter I'd tell you to find a group of REAL hikers and stay close. Trust your inner voice and make wise choices. I'd also have her carry a K-Bar knife, a H&K .40 cal semi-auto, a stun gun and razor wire around the tent! (Just kiddin about the weapons and razor wire!)
    Use the most powerful weapon you have , your mind. It'll be you best defence against bad situations.
    I carry a concealed handgun but I'll not make the suggestion you do the same. That is too personal a decision with too many adverse consequences if you are not trained and proficient with it's use.
    I'll get flamed for this but if you were my daughter I would try and convince you to find a friend or relative (someone you know very well) as a hiking partner. BUT remember I'm a dad and we worry about these things.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

I just wanted to say thanks to all the ladies who responded on this thread. I have to deal with criticism from my friends and family all the time regarding hiking alone. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in feeling that hiking alone is safe

A number of women complained about safety details which I had posted, resulting in the censor of my last two posts and then deletion, per my request, of my other posts. Anyone who wants safety details from me could send me a PM and the info would be sent privately.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    you are way to scared. fear attracts evil. be confident and loose the spray. each year i beat to death many hikers. but allways in fair bacon cookoffs and last mile runs to the shelter races. my favorite way to intimidate newbees is to cook steak at night and bacon and pancakes in the morning. this leaves them demoralized and happless. ill choke the occaisional hiker with bourbon of the highest potency but i dont belive in beering folks. beer has no kick. i like kick like a mule. most nights i tease my pray by being in my 20 below down bag as they shiver in georgia in feb. then finnish them off in the morning with real coffie. all in all. the appalachian trail is a place for me to freely stalk and menise under fed hikers with gourmet delicacys.

HA that's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffirre8 View Post
    Pink- i am also a solo female hiker. i am not scared to hike alone nor do i fear the people on the trail or bears. But, to be on the safe side i carry a 6 inch blade in the side of my pack where i have easy access to it. Just incase, cause you never know.
    The trail is very safe and you will meet intresting and awesome hikers along the way.
    Have you taken martial arts courses in the use of a knife? It would be extremely helpful if you ever had to actually use it. It is fairly easy to disarm an untrained person that has a knife, so it might be false security.

Default men

Your question seems to be about the danger from men.
    1 Men like females so you will get attention.
    2 As long as you stay "unattached" you will be treated like a sister.
    3. Insist on respect at camp do not encourage swearing or excess flirting
    4. If you do find a male friend then he will become responsible for you in the other men's eyes.
    5. Otherwise the posts already made have great advice for anyone.
    Enjoy your hike you will be fine.

Default Hiking alone - Sorry to say, not for me anymore

Isn't anyone watching the news?? At the present, females alone are definitely in danger. Women are not as strong as men; we like to think we are, but fact is, we're not....look at Meredith Emerson, 24, and her false sense of security in having two martial art belts...a scrawny 64 year old man took her down. Tune into Headline News around 8:00 P.M. and see what's going on out there! When I'm out hiking now, I have more than pepper spray I can assure you. You are not safe anywhere!! I've been approached out hiking, AT sections, Pisgah Forest, Blueridge Parkway hikes and other areas by several shady characters definitely now out just for hiking and the scenery. Recently hiking the Graveyard Fields area, my sister and I were followed by a young man sporting a knife. Awareness is necessary, not denial. I used to hike by myself, but no more. My sense of security and being safe in the forest has been shattered. As a woman, I will never hike alone again.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++