WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Smile Bivy Sack Netting and Splash

Hi everybody.

I'm new to this site and the whole ultralight world. I'm planning on doing a thru hike after I graduate in summer 2011. Ultralight definitely seems the way to go for comfort/speed/enjoyment's sake.

I've started to take a look at some gear lists and, after reading a lot of the posts on this site, decided on a bivy+tarp sleep system. My question concerns the bivies. Those with extensive netting like the Meteor obviously are very breathable but has anybody had problems with splash during hard rains? What are your opinions on the bivies with just netting over the face? Recommendations?

Thanks so much!

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I have a MLD Superlight Bivy, which has a pretty small netting, but I've never had any issues with splash anywhere around my tarp (a small solo-sized one). If it's raining hard, just pitch your tarp low. You shouldn't have many splash issues in light rain.

BTW, backpackinglight.com has a really good forum, and you can probably find 10 threads discussing this issue there.

My typical 3 season high chance of rain bivy/tarp set-up includes a MLD custom sized(somewhere between Duo and solo size, but with a little extra length since I'm 6'4" and I really like the extra protection since I most often go with down sleeping bags) 7 oz Spinnaker tarp and the same bivy as Burger, a 7 oz. MLD Superlight Momentum top bivy in the longer and wider version. The MLD Superlight bivy is very water resistant. My yr's version does include a rather small mesh window. Although I haven't seen the latest version, I hear MLD has made the mesh window slightly larger in the latest version. I have not had issues with splash coming in through the mesh window or anywhere else using this bivy and set-up.

Like Burger, when I expect heavier or prolonged rain or wind blown rain using this set-up I seek sheltered campsites with extra protection like near a rock wall, in a grove of evergreens, or on the leeward side of something like a hill. I alter my pitch configuration to something more storm worthy which at the very least includes a lower pitch. I take note of the prevailing winds and pitch the tail of my tarp down low into the wind.

In my mind, having a bivy mesh window or having a bivy with a mesh head only becomes a factor when insects are going to be an issue.

Another solution is to get a meshless bivy with an overlapping hood that just protectively drapes over your head and the hood is held off the face with a stiffening wire or small cord attached to something above you. Take a head net or rig up some nanoseeum mesh over your head when you go on buggy hikes. Leave it home when insects are not an issue. This allows you to not breathe into the bivy, get fresh air, and see more of what's going on around you.

Yet another solution is to purchase a bivy that has a hood that protects and also has a mesh window that can be unzipped and still provide the hooded protection.

I am not a fan of being zipped up all the way in a meshless windowless totally enclosed bivy!

Take a look at the Equinox bivy for an inexpensive full body one with a head opening. When the bugs get bad, look at something like this: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...a2140439335a92
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Thanks a lot for the quick responses. It seems that experience in pitching the tarp is key. Sounds like a lot of nights in the backyard before my hike.

Quote Originally Posted by texasfight View Post
    Thanks a lot for the quick responses. It seems that experience in pitching the tarp is key. Sounds like a lot of nights in the backyard before my hike.
    You got that right. The thing with tarps is that the wind will always shift 180 degrees on a windy, rainy night. If you're expecting snow and can't find other shelter they can be less than desirable, too. If there's already snow on the ground, you can build snow walls to keep spindrift out. If the ground's bare you can try pitching to the ground and piling leaves on the edges of the tarp (if you can find them). Laying a straight branch on the ends against the ground can help prevent some snow from coming in, but it will usually end up coming in at the head end (put your pack there to block some of it). I used to tarp in the spring and fall, when there weren't too many bugs. In winter I used a tent. Now I hammock year-round as long as there are trees.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I am a fan of the Meteor bivy under a tarp. Most other bivys are too stuffy in warm weather. Even the Meteor can be stuffier than no bivy, but if it's hot and you need bug protection, you can just sleep on top of your bag/quilt inside the bivy.

It adds warmth in colder weather as it blocks most of the wind, It vents moisture better than most bivys so you can store damp clothing and shoes inside to help them dry. It can be used as just a ground cloth if that is all that is needed.

I consider it a good compromise bivy that can be used year round under a tarp and could be used alone for cowboy camping or as an emergency summer shelter.

MLD, Titanium Goat and others make bivys with big net openings, but not as big as the Meteor. They offer better prottection if that is needed. You may want to consider one of those if you use a small tarp that would have issues with spray,
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Take a look at the Equinox bivy for an inexpensive full body one with a head opening. When the bugs get bad, look at something like this: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...a2140439335a92
    This appears to be the only way I can edit a post currently.
    Here's another link to a similar bug shelter for tarp users:
    http://www.alpinlitegear.com/index.p...products_id=25
    It's apparantly not in production currently, probably due to being off season.

++ New Posts ++