Default Planning to hike Lake O.

I just moved down to Florida recently and I'm planning on hiking around Lake Okeechobee towards the end of January. I ordered a map of the trail and it should be here in a week or so.

I do have some questions that hopefully people can answer. The trail around the lake is 112 miles, so I'm thinking 6 maybe 7 days. Does that sound reasonable? I know there are campsites around the lake I can stay at, but do you need to pay to stay? I'd rather save money, so is it OK to camp outside of a campsite? Are there enough places to get food on the hike so I don't need to carry 2-3 days worth of food all the time? What about water? I've also heard about a dam/dyke in the southern part of the lake. Is it a problem hiking through this area? What about a hiking permit, do I need one?

I know it sounds like I'm a total noob at this, but I am new to the area and I really haven't had time to investigate everything yet. I'll learn as I go!

Stay out of Belle Glade!!!
    John Carnahan
    [email protected]

Images

Florida Trail Association has all your questions answered. Buy one of their guidebooks.

http://www.floridatrail.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Florida Trail Association has all your questions answered. Buy one of their guidebooks.

http://www.floridatrail.org/

Personally, I think that website is too vague to answer questions. That's why I'm hoping someone here has hiked that part of the trail and can give me personal experiance of the hike.

Quote Originally Posted by MJW155 View Post
    Personally, I think that website is too vague to answer questions. That's why I'm hoping someone here has hiked that part of the trail and can give me personal experiance of the hike.
    same here, I've been wanting to do that hike sometime in the coming weeks.

I found a more detailed map from the army corps of engineers. a lot of the camping sites you have to pay. they say you can do the whole thing in 9-10 days.

Images

Hammock Hanger is who you need to talk to. I will IM her to get her to this thread.
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Quote Originally Posted by BumpJumper View Post
    Hammock Hanger is who you need to talk to. I will IM her to get her to this thread.

Cool thanks. It's frustrating trying to find stuff out online about this part of the Florida Trail. I'm from NJ and I'm used to having way too much info to sort out about hiking the AT.

aka Mokay
    Images

Default 3 yr old info

Definitely doable in 7-9 days. We did it in a series of day hikes (see Trail Journal at http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=197780 ). There are backpacker campsites, basically a table and open sided pavillion, access to lake water, and if I remember correctly a firepit. no other services. Use of these is free, and unreserved, so if someone else is already there you just share. There are several small towns you will pass through or near: Pahokee, Okeechobee, Clewiston being the largest. There are regular campgrounds in all three as well as other places arounds the Lake, you would have to pay at these. There are also small motels, and on the west side a fish camp that offers rooms and a bar (hiker friendly and a great place to stop for snacks and lunch on a chair!)

Depending on how far you want to go into town for groceries you could resupply at these, there are also gas stations with convenience stores you could resupply at, but that depends on your food needs.

You walk on the dyke all the way around the lake. On the east side of the lake they were doing dyke reconstruction for the past several years and may still be doing so. Some of these places were closed to access while they worked on them, requiring a road walk (on a not very wide road with no shoulders) in some places. For a lot of the walk there is a canal between the trail and the road, so once you have started on a section you have to keep walking to the next road access point to get across the canal. The maps should show where those roads are, just keep it in mind if you have seen a grocery or other place you wanted to stop.

Most of the hike is on a fairly level grass/rock surface, but the west side is a paved bicycle trail from Bell Glades to Pahokee.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions, keeping in mind that it's been 3 years since I hiked it.

Janette
    HUGS - J

I just moved down to Florida recently and I'm planning on hiking around Lake Okeechobee towards the end of January. I ordered a map of the trail and it should be here in a week or so.

I do have some questions that hopefully people can answer. The trail around the lake is 112 miles, so I'm thinking 6 maybe 7 days. Does that sound reasonable? I know there are campsites around the lake I can stay at, but do you need to pay to stay? I'd rather save money, so is it OK to camp outside of a campsite? Are there enough places to get food on the hike so I don't need to carry 2-3 days worth of food all the time? What about water? I've also heard about a dam/dyke in the southern part of the lake. Is it a problem hiking through this area? What about a hiking permit, do I need one?

I know it sounds like I'm a total noob at this, but I am new to the area and I really haven't had time to investigate everything yet. I'll learn as I go!
    Oh yippee, does that mean a Trip Report will be in the works? Would love to read it. My trips to Lake O were thwarted twice: a) the droughted lake bed was on fire, b) the sugar cane fields were smoking. Good luck on a successful trip; pls consider posting your report here.

Default Belle Glade

I'm starting my thur hike in a few weeks ,5 people so far told me to stay out of Belle Glade ....can someone tell me why ??

Images

Another excellent source...

www.floridahikes.com
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Quote Originally Posted by Mizirlou View Post
    Oh yippee, does that mean a Trip Report will be in the works? Would love to read it. My trips to Lake O were thwarted twice: a) the droughted lake bed was on fire, b) the sugar cane fields were smoking. Good luck on a successful trip; pls consider posting your report here.

LOL, I definately will. I'm trying to get into writing as a hobby and possibly a living. Right now, my plans are to drive to South Bay RV Park on Jan. 16th or so. This will actually be my first big hike. I used to be in the Boy Scouts and I've hiked 60-70 miles before, but not this many miles. Because it will be so flat, I think I will be OK. Right now, I am more nervous about the water and food situation than anything else. I know once I get going I will be OK, but that fear is still there.

Next you can walk around Lake Ontario.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Right now, my plans are to drive to South Bay RV Park on Jan. 16th or so...I am more nervous about the water and food situation than anything else. I know once I get going I will be OK, but that fear is still there.
    I’ll swap your Trip Report for a free re-supply of water, food, whatever you may need. I’m on the West Coast about 2 - 3 hrs. away. E-mail me and I’ll give you my contact info. Happy to help a fellow hiker, especially one who gives back to the hiking community by sharing his adventure.

Is Belle Glade really a bad area? I can take a bus from where I live to Belle Glade for $20 and it would be a lot cheaper and easier to do that rather than park at the RV park which is a mile away and pay $80 for the week. I've been to Belle Glade before and I didn't really think it was a bad area. I'm origionally from NJ so I usually know when I'm in a bad area.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BumpJumper View Post

I was just made aware of this thread. I sent him a PM. TXS for letting me know.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jnetx View Post
    Definitely doable in 7-9 days. We did it in a series of day hikes (see Trail Journal at http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=197780 ). There are backpacker campsites, basically a table and open sided pavillion, access to lake water, and if I remember correctly a firepit. no other services. Use of these is free, and unreserved, so if someone else is already there you just share. There are several small towns you will pass through or near: Pahokee, Okeechobee, Clewiston being the largest. There are regular campgrounds in all three as well as other places arounds the Lake, you would have to pay at these. There are also small motels, and on the west side a fish camp that offers rooms and a bar (hiker friendly and a great place to stop for snacks and lunch on a chair!)

Depending on how far you want to go into town for groceries you could resupply at these, there are also gas stations with convenience stores you could resupply at, but that depends on your food needs.

You walk on the dyke all the way around the lake. On the east side of the lake they were doing dyke reconstruction for the past several years and may still be doing so. Some of these places were closed to access while they worked on them, requiring a road walk (on a not very wide road with no shoulders) in some places. For a lot of the walk there is a canal between the trail and the road, so once you have started on a section you have to keep walking to the next road access point to get across the canal. The maps should show where those roads are, just keep it in mind if you have seen a grocery or other place you wanted to stop.

Most of the hike is on a fairly level grass/rock surface, but the west side is a paved bicycle trail from Bell Glades to Pahokee.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions, keeping in mind that it's been 3 years since I hiked it.

Janette
    Thanks for stepping in I did not know of this thread. Good info.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

Images

Is Belle Glade really a bad area? I can take a bus from where I live to Belle Glade for $20 and it would be a lot cheaper and easier to do that rather than park at the RV park which is a mile away and pay $80 for the week. I've been to Belle Glade before and I didn't really think it was a bad area. I'm origionally from NJ so I usually know when I'm in a bad area.
    Belle Glade is a small town mostly made up of migrant workers. It is a poor town w/o a huge amount to offer other then a store, place to eat. Not sure if the campground near there is still open. No reason to stay there. better to stay up near the lake.

"What's around that next bend?"

For most of the last 30yrs (except for the last 4 because of the water level) I've spent
    a week fishing in the Lake Port, Fisheating Creek area, around the last week of April,
    1st week of May.
    Make sure you have good Mosquito protection. Every evening at dusk,and you can almost set your watch by it, they will eat you up.

++ New Posts ++