WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Exped Synmat 7 deluxe

Does anyone carry this pad on a regular basis? All the reviews I have read thus far are good. I know the pad isn't the lightest but as a side sleeper I have been leaning toward picking one up with the Christmas gift cards I received. I know they updated the pad this year and I'm hoping to get some first hand accounts. Happy Holidays.

Look at the Big Agnes Air Core Mummy. For cold weather throw a 3/8" (or thicker) blue foam pad on top (partial or full - whatever you like). The foam will give you a backup in case the pad fails, and when it gets warm out you won't be sleeping on a frying pan (my experience with all insulated pads). Of course you could hammock in warm weather, which is preferable (to me, anyway).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default I have the synmat 9

Quote Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
    Does anyone carry this pad on a regular basis? All the reviews I have read thus far are good. I know the pad isn't the lightest but as a side sleeper I have been leaning toward picking one up with the Christmas gift cards I received. I know they updated the pad this year and I'm hoping to get some first hand accounts. Happy Holidays.
    and absolutely love it. It is far from a ultralight or minimalist piece of gear but it completely changed my sleeping experience. I used to carry a pad, then a thermarest but found that I was no longer sleeping well on the ground, probably due to my age. I bought this piece of gear about 3 years ago and it is comfortable and warm and I started sleeping well again. I wouldn't camp or backpack without it. Get one, especially if you value comfort over weight

My dad has one, I will give it a plus 1 for comfort, very comfortable, but I ended up going with the BA instead being that its a whole 2lbs lighter and also a 2.5" pad

my girlfriend has the regular synmat 7 and really likes hers =) one of our local outfitters has a bed of gravel in the store for you to sit and lay on to test pads and you couldn't feel a thing under the exped (sitting up, laying down on back/side, or rolling around)-- not to mention how convenient the pump is.

Trying to choose between the big agnes diversion insulated air core and the synmat. The difference is in weight and thickness. Do you believe one has the edge in quality?

Quote Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
    Trying to choose between the big agnes diversion insulated air core and the synmat. The difference is in weight and thickness. Do you believe one has the edge in quality?
    yes, the exped does. the testing over on Back packing light shows the BA to not really have the R-factor it claims- real R is about 1.5. Thats been my experience with it too. I carried a 3/8's GG pad to supplement it. Exped delivers on their R ratings.

++ New Posts ++