WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Christmas is over

Well it's over. For the last seven days we've had between 10 and 12 house guests. My wife, my daughter and even (blush, blush) me are crazy good cooks. Every nite for the last seven days we have had a feast for dinner: roasted turkey, glazed spiral ham, standing rib roasts, smoked brisket etc.....all the trimmings. For lunches we've had left overs cooked in marvelous ways, fajita's, hot sammiches......One breakfast we had cerial the rest was quadrupal bypass specials, eggs, hash, waffles, sausage gravy, maple bacon...
    Lots of laughter, games, a drink or two, sledding with the grandkids, a Wii bowling tournament, Christmas eve service at our church.....
    I feel like I don't have to eat again for a week. Back to a life of health and fitness. Back to a little peace and quiet, no more little girls busting into the bedroom at 6am saying I'm hungry. (sigh)
    Oh well, there is always next year.
    Hope you all had a great Christmas season
    Sheepdog
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Yes my friend but now you have to put up with the New Years Crowd.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    Yes my friend but now you have to put up with the New Years Crowd.
    sweet!!!!

Images

It comes quick and it leaves even quicker. I'm taking down the hords of Christmas stuff at my mother's house this week too. There's a saying that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the more you roll out the quicker it goes and I think this Christmas and holiday season got me on that one.

x-mas never started for me

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Scrooge.......

"If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Ummm I always thought that Christmas ended January 6 (unless you are Greek or Russian Orth and then Christmas starts on the 6th)

Images

Maybe your shoes are too tight.

I don't even own a Christmas tree, and I got through the season without purchasing ONE item to give someone. So glad I'm not a consumerist.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SurferNerd View Post
    I don't even own a Christmas tree, and I got through the season without purchasing ONE item to give someone. So glad I'm not a consumerist.
    hope you had a good Christmas anyway

I absolutely did, thank you for caring. I spent time with my family, with my fiance's family, and eating scrumptious southern cooking. We believe in more to Christmas than buying gifts. I did set up the tree at my parents house, so I indirectly had one.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Images

I absolutely did, thank you for caring. I spent time with my family, with my fiance's family, and eating scrumptious southern cooking. We believe in more to Christmas than buying gifts. I did set up the tree at my parents house, so I indirectly had one.
    awesome
    that's why I didn't mention gifts in my post
    Christmas is much more than that

This sounds extremely selfish...

I give far more then I receive and I only give what people need, which is an appropriate time to gift something.

good for you. Christmas trees are a horrible tradition. I just want to cry every time I see one strapped to the top of a car.

Quote Originally Posted by paintplongo View Post

I give far more then I receive and I only give what people need, which is an appropriate time to gift something.
    i give a ****load every day. but it ain't stuff or cash

Journal Entries

Well, my wife and I have fed big groups three times this Christmas. Mostly kids, spouses, grandkids and significant others. I think the big oak extension table I bought for $4 at a Sportsman's Association auction 49 years ago, seated 13 the first night, nine the second and 14 the third.

We are still debating whether to invite them all back for a New Years Day dinner. New Years Eve we are reserving for ourselves.

I did cut a Christmas Tree. Aside from yule festivities, the tree farm provides and annual check of my lungs that were seriously damaged by a heart medicine I was told would keep me well.

Good news. I made it up a steep hill dragging a 7-foot fir tree a bit easier than last year. But these things are relative. Last year I was wading through a foot of snow. This year there were only a few inches.

I used to harvest my trees on a more accessible woodlot that I owned. But I had to sell that to pay bills and to eliminate the mortgage on a house I had built for a son.

Extra good news. Half the wood lot I sold is being donated back to my town trust. The town land trust lands are where I spend most of the time these days, building and maintaining trails, except when I'm raising money for the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

Weary www.matlt.org

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Still using the Julian Calendar?
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Well, my wife and I have fed big groups three times this Christmas. Mostly kids, spouses, grandkids and significant others. I think the big oak extension table I bought for $4 at a Sportsman's Association auction 49 years ago, seated 13 the first night, nine the second and 14 the third.

We are still debating whether to invite them all back for a New Years Day dinner. New Years Eve we are reserving for ourselves.

I did cut a Christmas Tree. Aside from yule festivities, the tree farm provides and annual check of my lungs that were seriously damaged by a heart medicine I was told would keep me well.

Good news. I made it up a steep hill dragging a 7-foot fir tree a bit easier than last year. But these things are relative. Last year I was wading through a foot of snow. This year there were only a few inches.

I used to harvest my trees on a more accessible woodlot that I owned. But I had to sell that to pay bills and to eliminate the mortgage on a house I had built for a son.

Extra good news. Half the wood lot I sold is being donated back to my town trust. The town land trust lands are where I spend most of the time these days, building and maintaining trails, except when I'm raising money for the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

Weary www.matlt.org
    sounds pretty cool weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    Still using the Julian Calendar?
    lonewolf works off the gilligan calendar

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by paintplongo View Post

Did I happen to mention I didn't receive one gift either. Selfishness is a harsh word to call someone who doesn't believe in consumerism. It's more like my money is better spent bettering society and traveling the world, than to waste it on a cool sweater vest for my cousin.

Consumerism is selfish my friend. Instead of spending those $26 Billion this Christmas on mostly wasteful gifts, they could have helped end world hunger, dying children, disease, the poverish, among other causes. So think about that one before you go calling a treehugger selfish..
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++