WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

also see thru hiker classes class of 2011

jnanagardener

My 2011 thru-hike is contingent on whether I can get a leave of absence for the months of February to June. I am a high school teacher and have been teaching long enough to qualify for a leave; the question is whether an AT thru-hike will meet the criteria. If it happens, I'll set out in mid to late February. In the meantime, cross your fingers!

Journal Entries
    Images

Im going to try in it 2011 when I get retired. Ive read alot of WB and fiction on hiking the AT. When I start out i"ll have the latest and greatest tent on the market and I wont buy it until they come out right before I start! The bigest decision I have is March 1, Springer or July 1, Big K. Goin Sobo means cooler weather carryng a load but theres noplace like Big K to finish.
    Feedback on WHAT I SAID NOT LW, WARRAYYEHEY, sHEEPDOG OR SOME OTHER MISDIRECTED FOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandt Robinson View Post
    My 2011 thru-hike is contingent on whether I can get a leave of absence for the months of February to June. I am a high school teacher and have been teaching long enough to qualify for a leave; the question is whether an AT thru-hike will meet the criteria.
    With a name like B Robinson, it should be automatic.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Default Me too, me too!

Glad to see all the other 2011 thruhiker hopefuls here! I myself am hoping to GAME it in mid-march of 2011 (time not set in stone, maybe earlier or not)...wow can't believe I just put that in writing for the first time.

I am still in gear research mode and roughing out my food plans; but as 2010 is knocking on the door I'm starting to see this hike as a reality instead of the dream it has been for a long time now.

Hope to see some of you out on the trail!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by svlc22 View Post
    Glad to see all the other 2011 thruhiker hopefuls here! I myself am hoping to GAME it in mid-march of 2011 (time not set in stone, maybe earlier or not)...wow can't believe I just put that in writing for the first time.

I am still in gear research mode and roughing out my food plans; but as 2010 is knocking on the door I'm starting to see this hike as a reality instead of the dream it has been for a long time now.

Hope to see some of you out on the trail!

You know, if 2010 goes by like this year, we'll be hittin' the trail soon! For me, like you, this hike is becoming a reality. It's been a long time coming! As of right now I'm looking to leave around mid-march too.
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

I will be doing the AT in 2011.

I'm hoping to start in March in GA where it's fairly warm. As I progress North it will warm up. My end-date is September (finished or not)

Contemplating a late Feb start in 2011 or 2012...all depends on what happens with my work. This will be my second attempt...made it to Waynesboro the last time...hoping the experience and an early start will allow me to stay ahead of the crowds.

I will head north from Springer late Feb to early Mar 2011 being a Norse Woman I can go when its colder and the advantage is advoiding some mud and it would further assure finishing in time
    I have been thinking of a AT thru for a few years now. I have resolved a couple of issues already- minor knee surgery and insurance, been saving $ but need more- I will meet this goal no problem, Now need to see if I can manage OK when I come back and have no job- maybe an early retirement is what will happen
    Have most gear already- always looking lighter, will go solo- but is one ever really alone on the AT, more plans to make- knowing plans are not in concrete on the AT, I will likely have some support up to Harpers Ferry
    all for now Norse Woman

Journal Entries

Starting March 2011.

I plan on starting early march 2011. I'm in gear research/aquisition and find a partner mode : p

Look forward to seeing you all on the trail!
    "In order for your practice to be grounded in the earth, it needs to be done consistently for a long period of time with devotion."
    Sutra 1.14
    Yoga sutras of the Patanjali

I am planning to start my thru hike in mid march of 2011. I have one confirmed trail mate and a few that claim to be doing it with me but just dont seem to be serious about it. I wouldnt mind having another partner to go along for the ride. I am finishing up my gear and will soon be getting into the planning and financial aspect of the trail.

Default I'm pulling for you!

Quote Originally Posted by jnanagardener View Post
    My 2011 thru-hike is contingent on whether I can get a leave of absence for the months of February to June. I am a high school teacher and have been teaching long enough to qualify for a leave; the question is whether an AT thru-hike will meet the criteria. If it happens, I'll set out in mid to late February. In the meantime, cross your fingers!
    I also teach high school and just negotiated my leave last week. I am still in complete shock that I was given the OK I don't know what your criteria are, but leading by example as a role model who sets big goals and goes after them can sometime be an effective argument. My fingers are crossed for you!!

Registered User beautifulpoetman's Avatar

Default NOBO: Last Weekend of February 2011 Starters?

I will begin a thruhike on the last weekend of February 2011. That's the last three days of February. Would consider starting a week earlier. Want to start slow-- 36 year old male; NOT a former long distance runner. Right now I've been hiking weekends, building up equipment, and getting excited. I hope you are too-- and hope we all find some people to start out our hikes.

Here's to all of you and your trail dreams!

I'll be thru-hiking starting April 4th 2011. See you there.

Tumbleweed

Getting prepped to thruhike nobo starting the last weekend in february 2011, hopefully ending in August. Can't wait!!!!!

SOBO hike starting sometime in april or may, depending on how much terminal leave I take, Cant Wait!

Images

I'm planning on starting some time in March, I was thinking early March, but if next winter is anything like this years, it will be late March. I don't want to slug through lots of snow.

I'm planning on an 2011 nobo hike starting mid march. depending on the weather.I will be hiking solo as of right now.I'm 33 and live in MA.

I'm planning on starting early/half march 2011 nobo hike. I would liked to have done it this year, but knee surgery and a virus infection forced me to wait another year. Its still far away but I can't wait to start

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++