WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by brotheral View Post
    Okay I'm learning and working on lightening up . Leave me alone or I'll be forced to open a can of West Virginia whup ass !!
    won't your sister get jealous?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Anyone who can go from wanting to close a thread because it had gotten off topic to trying to derail the new topic by talking about backpacks is my kind of person. You're alright by me, Brotheral!
    Way to stick with the tough love........

Images

Jester. Aren't you supposed to be working?
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

This thread is REALLY going south now....BUT, sobo is my favorite direction on the AT by far!! Ha!!
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Way to stick with the tough love........
    I'm serious! I thought that was awesome. Brotheral's adaptable and didn't get all crazy defensive. Pretty cool, considering how many people started jumping on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    Jester. Aren't you supposed to be working?
    Yah. Pages loading s l o w l y today on the 'puter. Got a tab open on whiteblaze & I'm flipping back and forth.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    This thread is REALLY going south now....BUT, sobo is my favorite direction on the AT by far!! Ha!!
    444 posts, it made it longer than I thought it would.

Id like to go SOBO, but I have other trails to hike first.

444 posts, it made it longer than I thought it would.

Id like to go SOBO, but I have other trails to hike first.
    Me too...heading back out to the CDT this year.
    Stumpknocker

Oh, you people with your actual hiking.

Sounds like fun

Yea we have The Art Loab, Benton MacKaye, and The Bartram on our Spring Agenda. Also scouting Newfound Gap to Erwin for The Companion this year! All with the goal of getting us ready for a PCT Thru!!

Yah....gotta get off this laptop. I've posted over 300 times on WB!! Pretty soon I'll catch up to LW if I don't go for a walk.
    Stumpknocker

Yea we have The Art Loab, Benton MacKaye, and The Bartram on our Spring Agenda. Also scouting Newfound Gap to Erwin for The Companion this year! All with the goal of getting us ready for a PCT Thru!!
    Walking is for suckers.

Walking is for suckers.
    Yep and we sucketh

I have never done a yo-yo section hike. In 1990, I did do this kind of hiking in the south primarily.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Quote Originally Posted by brotheral View Post
    Okay I'm learning and working on lightening up .
    Check out the UL forum for ideas on lightening up!
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Jester is correct, I've never done a "yo-yo" hike. As for the various sections, I've never bothered to add them all up as the "total mileage" figure never really interested me that much and I'm sure it's of even less interest to anyone else. I think I've got around 4500 Trail miles just in Hanover, tho, which is kind of a fun statistic, mostly on Main St. and Lebanon St. since I walk to town and back (sometimes more than once) every day. This statistic comes to mind in Georgia every now and again, when some newbie with 30-odd miles done starts loudly telling people what they're doing wrong. I'm tempted to tell him I have around 150 times more Trail miles than he does simply by walking home from 5-Olde, but I usually refrain from saying it.

Lone Wolf probably has an equal ammount of Trail miles in Damascus; Dan Gallagher probably has the equivalent of a thru-hike mileage-wise without ever having left Hot Springs. Tom Levardi probably has accumulated 2000 miles in Dalton just going from his house to Duff and Dells' for breakfast over the last 20 years and Winton Porter has probably logged a thousand just within the confines of Neel Gap.

Honestly, this keeping track of your miles thing can get a little ridiculous.

Usually, when people ask me how many, I say "A lot!" and leave it at that.

Now I'm off to 5-Olde (via Lebanon St.) so put me down for another quarter-mile. Should hit 5,000 in Hanover by Spring.

I hold the record for yoyo hikes by a non-Duncannon resident for the section of trail from the corner of Cumberland & Market Streets to the Uni-Mart, because most people blue blaze through the Doyle parking lot.

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Default Spades and such

Sgt Rock, hhmmm Well , you hit the nail on the head with most of what you had to say..... BUT.... You along with most people fail to seperate purist from one another. I believe from what you have said that we agree on a definition of a thru-hike. I also feel that you discount a thru-hike for some personal reasons.

Most people can't or don't want to be impartial. I have a thru-hike and a failed thru-hike ( 1,100 miles section hike) in my past. I have blue, yellow, red, and pink blazed. I feel that I see all points of views on this argument whereas most peopke only see the argument from their experiences.

Notice how most all thru-hikers see it as hiking the "entire trail" and those that didn't thru-hike either say that 2+2=5 , say they don't care (which is fine) , or bash thru-hikers (purist) as a whole. Some of these people even have this ridiculous guilt complex. The tired old argument of " its a piece of paper, its just a patch, hyoh, distorting what the ATC says about a thru-hike, bashing those that want to hike past all the white blazes is just pathetic........ Weak...... Ignorant... Etc

I'm apply common sense and alot of harsh reality to my definition of a thru-hiker. I worked my ass off to be a thru-hiker. I saved enough money. I was lucky to not get injured to an extent where I couldn't finish my hike. I'm proud to say that I'm a tbru-hike so yes I care when others who lie about their hike try to bash mine. Ofcourse those are the same people who then turn around ans say..... " its just hiking wby do you care". I'd ask them..... Then why do you justify and lie about ?

I don't have to mention names here.... The people that I speak of out themselves !

Have a nice day peoples..... Lol
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    Notice how most all thru-hikers see it as hiking the "entire trail" and those that didn't thru-hike either say that 2+2=5 , say they don't care (which is fine) , or bash thru-hikers (purist) as a whole. Some of these people even have this ridiculous guilt complex. The tired old argument of " its a piece of paper, its just a patch, hyoh, distorting what the ATC says about a thru-hike, bashing those that want to hike past all the white blazes is just pathetic........ Weak...... Ignorant... Etc
    If you thought I was bashing those that want to walk past every blaze, I apologize. I did not intend to do that. To anyone else that may feel that was my intent it wasn't.

I simply have a problem with someone that is a third party judging someone else for how they hike and how they see and report their hike. I am just as against a blue blazer giving a purist crap as I am about a purist telling a blue blazer he ain't deserving of the patch. I find both situations bothersome.

I'm apply common sense and alot of harsh reality to my definition of a thru-hiker. I worked my ass off to be a thru-hiker. I saved enough money. I was lucky to not get injured to an extent where I couldn't finish my hike. I'm proud to say that I'm a tbru-hike so yes I care when others who lie about their hike try to bash mine. Ofcourse those are the same people who then turn around ans say..... " its just hiking wby do you care". I'd ask them..... Then why do you justify and lie about ?

I don't have to mention names here.... The people that I speak of out themselves !

Have a nice day peoples..... Lol
    I don't mean to demean what you have done, nor any purist. Again, if you read that in my post, I didn't intend it. I simply just wanted to point out what the point of view of a non-purist is.

I have nothing but respect for you Mt Dew. If I were in a tight spot of any kind, you would be on my top ten list of people I would prefer to have around. I hope you get what I am saying.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Sgt Rock, only my first paragraph was directed at you. The rest of my post was bird shot a d not directed at you. I should have somehow seperated my reply to you and my long rant. OOPS my bad Sgt.....

Like I said... We pretty much agree on this topic...
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
++ New Posts ++