WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: sleeping bag

Images

low teens with a hennessy expedition, JRB underquilt, marmot 0 degree bag, full stomach and a hot water bottle, it was very cozy.

Thanks for your advice everyone. Why do you guys dislike the eno and are telling me to get a real hammock? The eno seems great to me. I got the thing with a gift certificate, chose it over the hennessey because I heard people say it was more comfortable and thought it seemed more simple, and overall better for the money, and i got the speer winter tarp for it and it seem pretty awesome to me, very simple to set up, very comfortable, and lightweight. I know that the wabbonett and hennesey have pockets and little things like that, but for some one like me that doesn't really care about that, how are they better? Also are they much more difficult to setup? Because that is a big problem for me. Had enough trouble understanding how to set up a tarp. haha

Lots of people love ENO hammocks. The biggest difference is the lack of a bug net, but if you're ok with that, and you're comfortable in the ENO, have fun with what you have!

Re: setup, hammocks are mostly all the same b/c the suspension is interchangeable. Just don't get ENO's Slap Straps b/c they're made of nylon, which stretches. As long as you have some sort of low-stretch cord or webbing, it's good. Lots of folks change the Hennessy cord to webbing, and with the Warbonnet you get a choice. Just be sure to use tree huggers if you use cord.

Quote Originally Posted by CTGuy View Post
    Thanks for your advice everyone. Why do you guys dislike the eno and are telling me to get a real hammock? The eno seems great to me. I got the thing with a gift certificate, chose it over the hennessey because I heard people say it was more comfortable and thought it seemed more simple, and overall better for the money, and i got the speer winter tarp for it and it seem pretty awesome to me, very simple to set up, very comfortable, and lightweight. I know that the wabbonett and hennesey have pockets and little things like that, but for some one like me that doesn't really care about that, how are they better? Also are they much more difficult to setup? Because that is a big problem for me. Had enough trouble understanding how to set up a tarp. haha
    Well, don't you know that everyone's setup is better than your's! My truck is bigger than your's! And of course my winky is bigger than anyone's!!!
    Use the great advise and do what works for you!

Images

Try it out in your back yard. You're not far from the AT in CT. It's averages colder along the AT in CT than Collinsville, but probably only by a couple to ten degrees.

If you're willing to check forecasts and not go on the coldest days, a 0F bag would probably be OK (in a tent, I don't have experience on hammocks). Try it out in your back yard on a cold night.

If it looks likely to be icy, consider Kahtoola microspikes. If there's a lot of snow before you go consider renting snowshoes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Try it out in your back yard. You're not far from the AT in CT. It's averages colder along the AT in CT than Collinsville, but probably only by a couple to ten degrees.

If you're willing to check forecasts and not go on the coldest days, a 0F bag would probably be OK (in a tent, I don't have experience on hammocks). Try it out in your back yard on a cold night.

If it looks likely to be icy, consider Kahtoola microspikes. If there's a lot of snow before you go consider renting snowshoes.
    Hell give me a Shout and we can hang ou together if you want. I just got back from 5 nights down in Pa for the Ruck and a hike. Was a bit chilly a few nights hung in my hammock all nights except one. No UQ used with mine because I use a Clark NA. Just play with it and find what works for you it's not that long a learning curve. After all your just sleeping and hiking is just walking. Walk long enough and your will be tired enough to sleep like the dead.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Images

Love my ENO hammocks. Very comfortable to sleep in, or to just lounge around camp in. I always take at least one extra hammock when we car camp. 99% of the time it's an ENO. I take it for something to just sit in and the occasional mid-day nap.

When my GF joined me for a few hundred miles on my AT hike, she used a TrekLight the entire time. The TrekLights are the same exact hammock as the ENOs.

Don't let people get to you. You've got a very good hammock that is easily added to if you so desire (bug net, ridgeline, etc.).
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

I'll take a top entry hammock any day before a Hennessy.
    I had one.
    I used it.
    I tried a top entry.
    I sold the Hennessy.
    Use a bug net with your ENO.
    Don't get it from ENO though,
    get it from Warbonnet. It's much lighter.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Oh, yeah, by the way, I got stung through the bottom of my Hennessy once. It's very unlikely it could happen with a top entry covered by a bug net.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    Another trick is to hang a poncho under the hammock.
    How do you do this? I know it's supposed to help with the cold, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to hang a regular poncho beneath a hammock. Although I think half of it is that my brain is currently fried from studying.
    Credendo Vides

My last hang was at 14dF with a poncho below/garlington type setup.

The one I used was a campmor extended poncho/tarp and has tieouts at 3 places on the ends. Looped some cord though and tied it off to the suspension.

It worked and I stayed warm with the addition of some CCF pads, but had a lot of condensation. It would be best to use a driducks breathable poncho. You would just need to hem the edge/or open it up if hemmed (cant remember) for a cord.

Would a poncho with a weight in the hole in the middle work? I would imagine that the head hole, if weighted down (rock in the hood or something) would pull toward the middle, and let the condensation drip down and off without soaking the person.

Of course, that's silly logic talking (caffeine adds nothing to helping the brain pan work).
    Credendo Vides

Although slightly damp feeling the next morning I did not have any condensation on the bottom. Most of it went straight up into my bag.

I think it was more because the poncho wrapped all the way up the sides of my hammock and I was using CCF pads underneath. I probably would have had more condensation below without the pads, but it was way to cold not to use pads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++