WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Winter Hike Ideas

I need help finding a hike that can be done in December in the South/Southwest. Relatively snow free, but not necessary. And hopefully about 5-7 days long. My other trail plans fell through with hunting season.

Are you thinking about any trail in the South/Southwest or the AT?

South/Southwest. I've done my AT trip for the year. I'm just at a loss for ideas since my trail partner backed out on me and now I'm trying to find something I can go solo on. Thinking some kind of Big Bend loop? That's the best I've got.

Got ya... hope someone comes up with some other good ideas for ya! :0)

There's the Ouachita Trail, which is in Arkansas and Oklahoma. I forget the details, but it's something like 200 miles long. One end is near Hot Springs, Arkansas. There are some shelters. I've only done a little, but it was pretty.

Pringles

Copper Canyon in Mexico? Grand Canyon is a possibility, if you are prepared for cold/snow on the rim. Superstitions near Phoenix - you could hike the first section or two of the Grand Enchantment Trail. Could be cold - or nice (i.e. below freezing at night but 60s in the daytime.) Big Bend is beautiful, but water is a real issue if you're out for more than a night.

I also am looking for a Winter hike. The Grand Enchantment Trail looks good. I loved to do the Copper Canyon Trail not sure about a single female hiker in Mexico. Is Big Bend in Ca. I don't mind the Snow as much as I mind being so cold. I guess I could do all the southern parts of the southern most trails.

Big Bend is in Texas down on the "big bend" of the Rio Grande. I've done day hikes there in the Chisos Mts. and one overnight in the desert where I had to bring all my water. At 5 liters, one night was enough! In the winter, you'll generally have cold nights and warm days.

You could look into the Arizona Trail. Check out the WB forum in "Other Trails"

I would vote Grand Canyon.

Images

Not as sexy as the Grand Canyon but here are two southern trails that might tickle your fancy:

The Foothills Trail - NC/SC - really pretty - can be done in 3-4 days but would be a fun casual week long hike in the winter - it's 77 miles: www.foothillstrail.org/

The Benton Mackaye Trail - what a fabulous thru hike this would be - - it's 300 miles of southern wilderness - the remote wilderness version of the AT: www.bmta.org/

enjoy!

Another possibility is the Florida Trail through the Ocala NF. The section is 66 miles and passes through some pretty country. It might be hunting season though, so check on whether you would need to wear orange.

So hiking the Florida trails do Alligators eat hikers???

Wow, you guys have showed up in a big way. Thank you. Now I have to run down this list.

So far I am looking at the Enchantment Trail, AZT. Fla trail. Lone Star. That should keep me busy during the winter. How about you thethinker were will you hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetspot View Post
    So far I am looking at the Enchantment Trail, AZT. Fla trail. Lone Star. That should keep me busy during the winter. How about you thethinker were will you hike.
    Looking at the LST, it looks like I'm out until next Feb. Until then, the forest service decides where I sleep on the trail. Ouachita sounds really interesting. Maybe do half of it over a week?

Journal Entries

Every winter I go to the sw for a hike.

Ive done (ranking by best first)
    1. Zion NP (several trails)
    2. Grand Canyon (Rim to Rim and back very cold snowy at top but very warm in canyon)
    3. Guadalupe NP (mcKittrick Canyon)
    4. Bryce Canyon NP (Rim Trail)
    5. Capitol Reef
    6. Canyonlands
    7. California Coastal trail

Id like to do big bend in Texas this year maybe some section hikes on longer trails as well.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetspot View Post
    So hiking the Florida trails do Alligators eat hikers???
    It's more like the other way around. FT is pretty much snow free.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

++ New Posts ++