WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Fun thread. A section (five days) of the Superior Hiking trail in Minnesota in September. I paid one of my hiker friends five bucks so I could keep the time open and say honestly I have made a downpayment on a vacation.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't have any plans and that makes me feel very sad. I have to pretend to be responsible for a while.
    until May. that's when I get ansy.

That's a good question! I've had my eye on the Colorado Trail for a few years now, but as of now, I really don't know!

Images

Hopefully a month in Croatia and Slovenia and Austria with a good dose of hiking.

Back up is Tahoe Rim Trail, finish the JMT and cycle up the Cali/OR coast
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Default Typical year

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Where will you go to hike that much anticipated trail in 2010 ,you know the one that you have talked about for months ? .
    You know "The Hike" that your family and/or friends have heard you talk about for months.

When will you take off and how long do you plan on hiking for ?

Even if your plans are for a week long hike with much less hoopla but still a big deal to you in 2010 it still belongs here so tell us all about it.

Happy New Year !!!
    I don't have the full year scheduled out, but I don't have to "take off." Now that I have retired, I hike almost every day. It is just a matter of "where" and whether or not I camp out. Most of the time I take day hikes near my home in Gig Harbor, WA, but I do some longer hikes too.

January -- Southern Arizona. I will hike the trails out of Maderia Canyon and Saguaro National Park. I will probably climb Picacho Peak again.

February -- Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado and Washington.

March -- mostly Washington, I usually start with the Ozette Loop and other hikes close to the coast. Late in March the trails in Mt. Rainier National Park start melting out.

April -- I have a permit for the Grand Canyon, South Rim to Bright Angel Campground and back.

May -- My application is in for a Rim to Rim to Rim hike of the Grand Canyon. I won't know for sure until I get a response from the park.

June -- Wonderland Trail. My son, grandson and I plan to do the Wonderland Trail. It will be the first long hike for the grandson. Depending on how much snow we get in the next couple of month, June may be too early.

July -- Inca Trail. My wife and I will be hiking the Inca Trail in Peru.

August -- More Mt. Rainier and Goat Rocks Wilderness.

Sept -- 100 Mile Wilderness. Five of the last six years, I have hiked in the 100 Mile Wilderness in the fall. I will probably do it again in 2010.

Oct -- Another Grand Canyon hike. My wife has not visited Supia. We may go there the year.

We hike in Roxborough State Park in Colorado several times each year.

When we take cross-country trips, we stop for day hikes along the way.

Shutterbug

Default Colorado Trail

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    That's a good question! I've had my eye on the Colorado Trail for a few years now, but as of now, I really don't know!
    The Colorado Trail is a great option. I hiked the portion from Denver to Brekenridge. Finishing the trail is on my "ToDo" list. The scenery is really beautiful. When I did the first section about 15 years ago, I went three days without seeing another person.
    Shutterbug

The past three years we made plans and then every year something happened to change our plans (injuries), so I hesitate to even write the current plan. We've had some really bad luck making plans.

However, Jim and I really want to finish the PCT hike we started last year, so that is the first priority. To prepare for the PCT, we are heading to Springer to hike for six weeks or so on the AT. We'll leave around the first of March and hike until mid-April, return north for a wedding in New York, then fly to San Diego right after the Kick-off party. God willing and the creek don't rise, we'll walk to Canada, finishing sometime in mid-October.

Images

Starting in April, want to get in at least one 2 nighter/month. Hoping to finish the GSMNP in May (Newfound Gap sobo to Stecoah Gap), maybe a week on the AT somewhere in the VA/MD area in September. Then 2 weeks in Turkey in October. Lots of day hikes from Spring through late Fall.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

In April I hope to join a friend on the AT for two weeks as he resumes his hike in Virginia.

This August, Tag-along and I plan to thru hike the Superior Trail.

I'm hoping to take two AT hikes: one in early summer from Duncannon to Harper's Ferry (or the reverse) and one later on from Pinkham Notch to Caratunk (or the reverse).

Three hikes in the planning. A spring hike to see the wildflowers around Cosby TN in April, our regular section hike this year is Newfound Gap northbound to ??? and we are planning a hike in Yosemite for late Aug. or early Sept. Retirement is wonderful!

Colorado Trail...I'll have to look into that trail!

Images

I'm tied into the responsibility thing, too, at least for a while. However, if things go even closely according to plan, I should be able to do the I-40 to I-26 stretch I had to postpone last year. Might even get to stretch it on up to Erwin!!

I have so much new lighter better gear now I won't recognize my kit when I go! That's exciting.

Of course, I keep thinking of one of my favorite quotes: "Plans last until contact with the enemy."

I hope to continue my section hiking of the AT in Virginia by getting in 50-60 miles from Pearisburg south this spring, or maybe skipping ahead to the Grayson Highlands-Mt. Rogers area.

Also, for vacation this summer my wife and I are planning a roadtrip to Yellowstone NP where I want to do some day hiking with her. I can't wait.

Hope for a few more weekend and overnight trips around Central VA on the AT as well.

i wanted to bring my daughter to traildays. but i don't know?. shes only 2 and we live so far away.
    this summer i was planning to thruhike the colorado trail

Journal Entries

Long Mothers Day weekend on the North country Trail in Michigan, then a nine day trip on the AT in Virginia in September. Various other short hikes of the North Country Trail.
    Thru hike in 2011.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default nice.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Hopefully a month in Croatia and Slovenia and Austria with a good dose of hiking.

Back up is Tahoe Rim Trail, finish the JMT and cycle up the Cali/OR coast

absolutely, totally, markedly, insanely jealous.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Journal Entries
    Images

GSMNP northbound. I'm hoping I can get through it in 1 week. Probably mid-summer.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

I'm hoping to hike NH in July and VT in Sept.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

No AT section this year, but going to Philmont Scout Ranch in June with the boys and then in the early fall a rim to rim with a good friend.

I am certain I will get in five or six weekend trips in the Hoosier National Forest and/or the Knobstone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++