WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 6 lb. hamburger

Over 4,500 miles hiked on the A.T.

Default 6 lb. hamburger

A friend sent me this link today:

http://www.dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/6lbburger.htm

It is a little off the trail in PA but their claim to fame is no one has yet to finish their burger in one sitting. It would be a good addition to the half gallon challenge though a bit of hitchhiking may be needed!

lol.

Default hot dang

wow, that's an obscenely big burger. Snopes has some pictures of it, too - apparently the photos are getting emailed around.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/commerc...ger.asp#photo3

Rocket GA->ME '04
    Images

Hmmmmm, burger... I'm surprised nobody's managed the 6 pounder in one sitting yet. I mean, it's hard, but you figure there's always somebody out there who'll do it.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Amarillo by morning...take it from an old truck driver

http://www.bigtexan.com/index2.html
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Thumbs down

I checked the map for the BIG burger from the Appalachian Trail, I believe its more than 75 or 100 miles to get there by hitchiking... not worth this trip.

Flash Hand

Default Good thing for the distance

You can't tell me that there wouldn't be quite a few thru-hikers how could fast all morning and knock off that thing in the afternoon.

Images

I ate a 3 lb steak at the Trail Dust restaurant in Arlington, TX years ago. I even ate the baked potato, beans and bread they brought out with it. The waitress was stunned when I asked what they had for dessert. I ended up having apple cobbler and ice cream. I weighted about 180 then and being 6'1" I looked thinner than I was. She must have wondered where I was putting it all....

If I fasted for a day I could easily eat one of those 6lbs burgers today, but I'd rather eat a 6lb steak!

Images

Default 6 lb. Hamburger

If you get off the AT at Duncannon, PA and travel North on Hwy 22/322 to Clearfield, PA ( the place) it is about 132 miles or about 3 hours by car. It might be an interesting 1-day side trip for a group of hikers If you could get a shuttle up and back from Duncannon.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    Amarillo by morning...take it from an old truck driver

http://www.bigtexan.com/index2.html
    I ate a 48 ounce steak one time, so I'm more than halfway there!

American Idiot
    Images

Beaujos (or some close spelling) in Colorado has a similar deal which a few have finished. But for us mere mortals, it's still a great deal to order and then split between friends. There's some restaurant near Central Park in NYC that I always forget the name of... starts with a C... anyhow, this place puts obscene amounts of cheese and meat on their burgers and sandwiches. About two inches of cheese for their cheese sandwiches and obscene amounts of meat for others. But the name of the place... argh I remember then forget...
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

PP. Do you mean the Carnagie Deli?
    I've never been there, but I've seen the huge sandwiches on TV.

Default Gluttony

Pardon me, but gluttonous consumption is at the core of what is wrong with our society. If you want health problems with internal organs, clouded thinking, that loggee sluggish feeling, eat heavy protein. The momentary satiation which comes from eating a lot, has long-term consequences. I try to use hiking to get healthier, to tone the system as only intense workouts can do. Thoreau had an interesting observation on the caterpillar as a "gross feeder" which eventually enters a far more aesthetic phase...The great orator William Jennings Bryan died from a bust gut after the Scopes trial, he had gluttonized! Drunks usually do far less damage to their systems during a binge than gluttons.

American Idiot
    Images

That's probably it, 2XL. I had some mean sandwich that I couldn't even wrap my big mouth around. Ridgewalker, I'll probably get killed by a drunk driver before gluttony gets the best of me Isn't America the land of excess?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker777
    Pardon me, but gluttonous consumption is at the core of what is wrong with our society. If you want health problems with internal organs, clouded thinking, that loggee sluggish feeling, eat heavy protein. The momentary satiation which comes from eating a lot, has long-term consequences. I try to use hiking to get healthier, to tone the system as only intense workouts can do. Thoreau had an interesting observation on the caterpillar as a "gross feeder" which eventually enters a far more aesthetic phase...The great orator William Jennings Bryan died from a bust gut after the Scopes trial, he had gluttonized! Drunks usually do far less damage to their systems during a binge than gluttons.
    Lol, William Jennings Bryan probably wasnt walking 15-40 miles a day. This summer on the PCT I ate food in portions that were insanely huge. Frequently when I would go to town I would go to the nearest pizza place and order a large or extra large pizza and a pitcher of beer and feel hungry an hour later. A half gallon of ice cream for breakfast was just a warmup. Granted, gluttonous consumption, among other things, is a problem in our society, but it's not a problem in the hiker society. I personally plan to take a crack at this 6 lb burger if I thru-hike the A.T. in '05.
    dan

Question Who

Quote Originally Posted by gardenville
    If you get off the AT at Duncannon, PA and travel North on Hwy 22/322 to Clearfield, PA ( the place) it is about 132 miles or about 3 hours by car. It might be an interesting 1-day side trip for a group of hikers If you could get a shuttle up and back from Duncannon.

Is there anybody in Duncannon that would provide shuttle between Duncannon and Clearfield, PA? If there is one, I would probably be going but I am not going to eat all 6 lbs burger, but will take the leftover as a doggie bag for someone's hungry dog in Duncannon.

Flash Hand

American Idiot
    Images

Rent a car. I tried to find Greyhound, but it was eight hours each way from Harrisburg. Rent a Wreck offers perhaps a more economical car rental, for which you could make a day trip out of this.

Carlisle Rent a Wreck rates: http://www.rentawreck.com/cgi-bin/la...FRN(S0060):972

A shuttle or a rented car would be tempting (if Available), maybe once a thru hike is over a person make a special effort to drive through there just to get a burger.

There some shuttle person in Pennsylvania, a complete list can be viewed by going to www.atconf.org and clicking on shuttles, you will have to click on a couple on things before getting there, but it is available.

Also, www.aldha.org has online companion guide, you look at duncannon shuttles there.

It give all of the contact information needed, you can contact ahead of time and find out if they are game or not, if so I would try to hook up with other hikers and split the shuttle cost 75 - 100 miles one way, would be cheap. $1 a mile is going to be costly.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Default 6 lber

I would have loved to have a crack at it on my thru-hike. I finished the 1lb burger at White-House Landing in the 100mile wildnerness like it was a midmorning snack.

The thing is that its not 6 lbs of meat. The weight includes the bread and fixins.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Default 6lbs

If thats the case, I may be able to eat it now, after sitting on my butt for several months in an office.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++