WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Call for Volunteers

This is not just for my club. This is for all trail maintaining clubs. It's only January 2nd and this winter has already been a rough one - from a trail maintenance perspective. I spent two days in the past two weeks clearing the 7 mile section I maintain of blowdowns. 50+ trees that some sort of sawing had to be done on and dozens of limbs.

If you go for a hike, throw a pack saw in your side pocket and clear what you can. See loose branches on the Trail? Throw them off. Big trees across the Trail? Let the maintainin Club know. Even better, take a day to go out with your local Club and help out. Volunteers are never turned away.

Can't figure out who to contact to help? Use this site.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Joyous. Just what I wanted to hear a week before I go run a shakedown hike in northern TN. I'm blazing TN-91 up to downtown Damascus within the next week or two. I'll let ya know what I see in big down if any. And I'll surely help brush what I can to the side.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Good post! I need to contact PATC and volunteer. I already pick up trash locally and clear loose brush from the trail. Might as well let the local club claim the hrs. As I under stand it local clubs that do trail maintenance can use the hrs. spent to maintain the trails to help secure some funding. I would like to get involved more. I am really appreciative of all the work done to provide us with all the trails we like to hike.
    Alcohol was involved!

Quote Originally Posted by harryfred View Post
    Good post! I need to contact PATC and volunteer. I already pick up trash locally and clear loose brush from the trail. Might as well let the local club claim the hrs. As I under stand it local clubs that do trail maintenance can use the hrs. spent to maintain the trails to help secure some funding. I would like to get involved more. I am really appreciative of all the work done to provide us with all the trails we like to hike.
    I don't know about using hours to claim funding, but miles help claim funding. Your hours do get recognized by ATC and whatever land designation you work on (e.g. National Forest). Both orgs give patchs for various levels of work.

On your hike, PM what you find and I will pass it along. That is an easy hike with almost 0 climbing.
    Cabin Fever

Good post! Here's a friendly link to ATC's main volunteer page: www.appalachiantrail.org/volunteer.

Don't forget, if you don't live close to the A.T., you can sign up for a 5-day trail crew--an incredibly rewarding and fun experience. Base camps are in Tennesee, southwest Virginia, PA, VT, and Maine, and run from May - October (different schedules for each crew). More info at www.appalachiantrail.org/crews.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Storyteller
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    I don't know about using hours to claim funding, but miles help claim funding. Your hours do get recognized by ATC and whatever land designation you work on (e.g. National Forest). Both orgs give patchs for various levels of work.

On your hike, PM what you find and I will pass it along. That is an easy hike with almost 0 climbing.
    Almost always a local agency receiving a state or federal grant has to match some percentage of that grant. My understanding is, at least here in Pa., volunteer hours can be credited towards that local match. I have no idea what formula is used, but it definitely helps to have those hours recognized and counted.

Even if you dont volunteer for maintenance along the AT, there are plenty of other opportunities for trails and parks across the US. Look for National Trails Days projects in your area, usually first or second weekend in June. Get it on your calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by harryfred View Post
    Good post! I need to contact PATC and volunteer. * * *As I under stand it local clubs that do trail maintenance can use the hrs. spent to maintain the trails to help secure some funding. I would like to get involved more. I am really appreciative of all the work done to provide us with all the trails we like to hike.
    All true! Right outside Ship. PATC is working on a major relocation of Tuscarora Trail to eliminate the closure/roadwalk near Colonel Denning State Park. Cumberland Valley AT Club needs more volunteers per A.T. mile than many other clubs, not only on the trail but corridor monitoring. Standing Stone Trail Club has a big ongoing project near Cowans Gap. And of course the AT Museum at Pine Grove Furnace will need many volunteers with different talents. Quite a lot of willing helpers needed in your area!

Images

Tried to go up to my section today for some maintenance, the snow has access closed. I foresee a lot of maintenance in the future for maintainers in East Tennessee.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

If you do venture out searching for blowdowns, etc, don't get your truck stuck in 2 feet of hard, compacted snow.......DOH!!

Once on the trail, be careful when sawing. Trees, limbs, branches have a tendency to fall the way they want to. If you start sawing something and become uncertain as to how it might fall, just leave it and inform the local club. If you can take a picture that will help in planning. Don't injure yourself.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Yeah, don't go out thinking you are good with a chain saw just because you watch Ax Men.
    Cabin Fever

Lots of chances to get out and help here in WNC. Trying to slot some time for Team Chacopak to help get the trails ready for the traffic to come. Be careful out there!!

For those who don't have the time or live too far away from the AT to volunteer regularly, like me, you can join an ATC trail crew which is only a one week commitment. They organize crews spring-fall who do the some of the bigger projects. You work on the trail for seven days. You camp near the worksite(s), they feed you really good and provide everything you need. Afterwords you get a t-shirt. This past September I hiked the AT for five weeks, from Clingmans Dome to Damascus. It was my first time hiking the AT and my first long distance hike. I loved it! I plan to thru-hike the AT next year. While I was in the Smokies I meet an ATC trail crew, Rocky Top. I put my hike on pause for three days to help them work on the trail. It was an very enjoyable and satisfying experience. I since started doing volunteer trail work close to home because of it. This September I'm officially joing an ATC trail crew, Rocky Top again. I'm also goin to hiking half of the Smokies I missed afterwards. I intend to volunteer on an ATC crew once a year. from now on. You can find out more about it or sign up at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's website.

++ New Posts ++