WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Mass in Maine

The closest Catholic church to Andover is in Rumford, 25 miles from Andover. The trail does not get any closer to Rumford for you to hitch in.
    I operate the Pine Ellis hiker lodge in Andover, and would be very happy to take you to Mass--as long as I'm available which I usually am, especially with a couple day's notice.
    Please e-mail me directly if I can be of further help, or can find information for you.
    There is a Congregational church in town which welcomes hikers, if you do choose to consider another denomination.
    Good luck and I admire your dedication to your faith.
    Ilene at Pine Ellis, Andover, Maine
    web: www.pineellis.com
    email: [email protected]

I am a Catholic seminarian who is also an avid backpacker. During my long distance hikes, I've struggled to find Catholic churches near the trail to attend mass. To help solve that problem, I've come up with a website (Campanarius.com) to publish Catholic mass times for churches near the Appalachian Trail. While I've provided information for some churches, this project relies on the greater community to crowd source a comprehensive listing of Catholic churches near the Appalachian Trail. If you'd like to help, please check out Campanarius.com, research some churches, and submit the info through the Google Form. If you're looking for a Catholic Church on the AT, check it out- hopefully you'll find what you're looking for!

Journal Entries

You should talk this over with your priest, you are not a lone Catholic, but part of a huge body of followers, and what you are doing is common and actually, part of the faith, and allowances made and in place - don't go it alone There are not only allowances given but you may receive a letter of pilgrimage or something to that effect which could be presented along the way and special allowances including being taken in. You may be allowed to do the rite of communion while on trail or allowed another denomination if the catholic church is impractical to get to (my dad had to do this).

God Bless your journey

Images

I think the Roman Catholic church now recognizes the validity of sacraments in the Episcopal and Anglican Churches. The RC has always recognized the sacraments of the Orthodox Churches (Greek, Russian, Armenian, etc.) and of the Eastern Rites that regard the pope as their leader, though these will be even harder to find in rural areas.

Journal Entries

I believe the RC church is a bit more flexible than you describe it. Perhaps you need to reexamine your attendance policies as they will apply on the AT. As indicated above the church has policies that accommodate soldiers and it doesn't create a crisis for them, so you'll find the church has accommodations for you in whatever situation you find yourself in. Remember the RC church has been around for a long time and it's been successful because it can accommodate many different situations it had found. So perhaps you need to get a letter of privilege or not. Perhaps a trip to a Catholic church will be appropriate or not.

Even though this is an older post, one suggestion for anyone looking at information online - you may want to double check what you find to be sure it's still current.

Not being sure if it's as much of an issue in all areas, but locally there are no longer as many priests as their are churches needing one, so many places several churches are sharing one pastor (sometimes with a retired priest or two helping out here & there), and schedules have been changing often to make it work out in these cases.

Just to be sure, since you don't want to invest time & effort in getting to a church several miles off the trail, only to find out you missed the mass (or even that, if you were trying hit a weekday, they no longer offer one that day, having split the days amongst the three churches that particular pastor serves).

The EWTN app has a live feed to the day mass as well as the rest of the network programs. Great for travel.

Snowleopard, while it is true that the RC church recognizes the validity of the Orthodox Churches, an Orthodox priest will not be willing to give it to any non-Orthodox person, not even a Catholic. Anyone is welcome to attend any of the services, but the Eucharist is only for Orthodox Christians in good standing.

I very much appreciate this thread and the faith of the original poster. God bless!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stormimay View Post
    Snowleopard, while it is true that the RC church recognizes the validity of the Orthodox Churches, an Orthodox priest will not be willing to give it to any non-Orthodox person, not even a Catholic. Anyone is welcome to attend any of the services, but the Eucharist is only for Orthodox Christians in good standing. ...
    Interesting, I did not know that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++