WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I did the Appalachian Trail in 2000 suffered an injury and finished in 2001. I bought the Long trail guide a few yrs ago and was dis-appointed in it, the author seems to ramble about nothing, as compared to the A.T.'s Guide Book and Companion guide's I use for planning my mail drops, I have not read the End to End book is it any better? Also, does anyone have a recent mail drop, shower, laundry points list they can share, thanks

Images

The Long Trail End-to-Enders Guide is more like the Companion. The latest version is about to be released, so if you order it from the Green Mountain Club, be sure it's the 2013 edition.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

The Long Trail Guide is really best for someone who wants to know the trail, the terrain the history. It is not a practical guide to hiking the trail - though it might enhance your enjoyment of the trail for a leisurely hike and it might make it a little easier to find the trail at certain crossings, but the E2E guide is the one worth carrying. Supposedly the format has been changed - it was a bit redundant in the past, but very useful - definitely worth consulting and I think well worth carrying.

Images

The LT guide is tmi for me about the trail & history. I have older ones but don't recommend it as needed. Get the End to Ender & the GMC map. The map doesn't show some snowmobile trails but is great showing towns off the trail to give you good proximity location.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    The LT guide is tmi for me about the trail & history. I have older ones but don't recommend it as needed. Get the End to Ender & the GMC map. The map doesn't show some snowmobile trails but is great showing towns off the trail to give you good proximity location.
    I would say it's good for those that don't know the area, but like you said, there is a lot of superfluous info. The E2E guide is better for the specifics.....but don't take it as gospel. Things change up here faster than the guide can keep up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++