WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hammock Questions

I am researching hammocking and have two questions.

1) Do I need a bottom pad in the summer to prevent Mosiquto bites?
    2) I weigh 185-190, 5' 10" , could I get away w/ the hammocks rated to 200lbs or should I get the 250 lbs model.

1. Possibly. I treat my hammock with permethrin. You will more likely need a pad or underquilt for when the temps drop below 70*. A poncho hung below the hammock adds considerable warmth as it reduces the convective heat loss.

2. Probably be ok. Most hammock manufacturers will gladly answer questions about their hammocks. Asking them how conservative those weight limits would give you a better idea.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    I am researching hammocking and have two questions.

1) Do I need a bottom pad in the summer to prevent Mosiquto bites?
    2) I weigh 185-190, 5' 10" , could I get away w/ the hammocks rated to 200lbs or should I get the 250 lbs model.
    1) Not necessarily. You can treat with permethrin, as previously stated or use a double layer hammock, as I do. There are other ways to prevent mosquito bits, plenty of them are discussed over at Hammock Forums.

2) You'll probably be just fine.

What hammocks are you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    A poncho hung below the hammock adds considerable warmth as it reduces the convective heat loss.
    Do bear in mind, however, that most ponchos are vapor barriers and allow zero air flow. This can be a recipe to wake up with a bottow wet with condensation. Not saying it isn't do-able, but you do have to know what you're doing in order for this not to happen.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    1) Not necessarily. You can treat with permethrin, as previously stated or use a double layer hammock, as I do. There are other ways to prevent mosquito bits, plenty of them are discussed over at Hammock Forums.

2) You'll probably be just fine.

What hammocks are you looking at?

Do bear in mind, however, that most ponchos are vapor barriers and allow zero air flow. This can be a recipe to wake up with a bottow wet with condensation. Not saying it isn't do-able, but you do have to know what you're doing in order for this not to happen.
    Thanks all. I have been reading the Hammock forum. The one I was interested in was the Ultralite Asym

I had an Ultraliht A-sym and never got bitten through the bottom of it (though I did get stung through the bottom once (this can't happen with the hammock I use now because the bug netting encircles the entire hammock).
    I weigh 210 lbs. and have been as heavy as 220 lbs. and slept in the UL A-sym just fine. I did ruin the nylon outer sheath of the spectra ropes, though. I just cut the ropes short, tied a loop in each, and used nylon climbing accessory cord instead.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vicky86 View Post
    My friend recommended a Hammocks shop .

I checked most of the Hammocks and found it can only Load weight about 130lbs approx. Didn't find any Hammock which can load 200lbs.
    I use a Clark North American because I do a lot of 4 Season camping. Mine hold well over 200 lbs.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

I had Hennessey put 250 lbs rated ropes on my Ultalight Asym. I guess it weighs a couple of ounces more. I had them do this when I bought it and it was free, but I guess they probably don't charge much to retrofit an old one. The only differance is the ropes though, the hammock body can handle the weight. If you are worried about it, go this route and you won't have to worry.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Brian, aka Tback on hammock forums, who hangs in the florida swamps, told me he had to go to a two layer hammock because the mosquitos were biting him through the hammock bottom.

Remember that florida swamp mosquitos are the real deal!!
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

If your sleeping in the hammock you'll need some type of under insulation if it is going to be under 65-70. That should keep the mosquitoes at bay. I have had a few horrendous mosquito nights in the hammock and when I cinched my underquilt up and made sure my sleeping bag was keeping any skin from touching the outside of the hammock I slept OK.

What drove me nuts was the constant "bzzzzzzzzzzz" around my freakin ears all night. Enough to drive someone mad, even if your not getting bit. Of all my nights on the thru, there were only 2 nights I wish I had a tent and it was to stop that buzz.

Thanks to all the replys. I am lurking over on the hammock forum. There's alot to learn yet before I make a decision. Buy nice or pay twice!
    Not much if any avantage to weight reduction, but the campsites will be endless!

Images

Thanks to all the replys. I am lurking over on the hammock forum. There's alot to learn yet before I make a decision. Buy nice or pay twice!
    Not much if any avantage to weight reduction, but the campsites will be endless!
    I'm sure you've already heard this over on HF, but it bears repeating. If you spend much time in a hammock, start with a Warbonnet Blackbird, because you're going to end up in one any way. The 1.1 ounce double layer will hold your weight with no problem, the double layers will thwart biters, and the hammock is a solid level of comfort, ease of setup, and entry ahead of the Hennessy line.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Hammocks are dumb...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Hammocks are dumb...
    YOU SHUT UP!! Hater...
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I'm sure you've already heard this over on HF, but it bears repeating. If you spend much time in a hammock, start with a Warbonnet Blackbird, because you're going to end up in one any way. The 1.1 ounce double layer will hold your weight with no problem, the double layers will thwart biters, and the hammock is a solid level of comfort, ease of setup, and entry ahead of the Hennessy line.
    Agreed. I looooove my BlackBird!

Hammocks are dumb...
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hooch is dumb. . .

Images

Hooch is dumb. . .

Bearpaw is dumb. . .

Thanks Bearpaw, that is one in the running. Which tarp will be a good fit for that? (one less item I need to research).
    Also, I am not giving up on tenting. I like the extra room and less weight. But I do plan on doing the long trail and I think hanging for that trip is adviseable.

Images

Thanks Bearpaw, that is one in the running. Which tarp will be a good fit for that? (one less item I need to research).
    Also, I am not giving up on tenting. I like the extra room and less weight. But I do plan on doing the long trail and I think hanging for that trip is adviseable.
    You may want to look at the OES MacCat Deluxe, the Speer Winter Tarp or the JRB 10x11 tarp. OF course, don't leave out the Warbonnet Big MamaJamba or SuperFly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    You may want to look at the OES MacCat Deluxe, the Speer Winter Tarp or the JRB 10x11 tarp. OF course, don't leave out the Warbonnet Big MamaJamba or SuperFly.
    Thread drift. . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++