WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default April NOBO packing list.....please critique

Ok so it’s almost time to make it all a reality. After multiple trips to REI, and countless hours on here I have begun to assemble my gear. Here is a tentative packing list. For reference I should be about 220 lbs, 5’8 when I start. I intend on leaving in mid April most likely. I’m trying to go light, but I’m not anal about being “ultralight”. I’ve gotten so much information on here and really appreciate all your advice. Many of my gear purchases have been the result of advice I received from you all. Please Check out my list, and feel free to comment. I left some questions and request for feedback below.

THE BIG 3
    -Pack: UlA circuit (Bought)
    -Tent: Tarp Tent Rainbow or Tarptent Moment….also debated a hammock but cant decide, have no hammock experience and don’t like the price once you add insulation and everthing.
    -Sleeping Bag: Mont Bell UL SS #2, Have not purchased yet, having trouble pulling the trigger on this one!!! Help!!! (Possibly a jacksrbetter summer quilt after May).
    -Pad: Z Rest

Clothing
    -Marmot Precip Rain Jacket (Bought)
    -ULA Rain wrap (Bought)
    -Marmot Zeus Down Vest (Bought)
    -North Face TKA ¼ zip (bought)
    -Ice Breaker Lite tee (if I drop a few pounds and its not so form fitting)……please suggest a nice loose fitting technical tee!!
    -Patagonia Capilene 2 top/bottom (bought)
    -Convertible pants….. REI sahara?? Suggestions? May switch out for synthetic shorts at some point.
    -Mountain Hardwear Stretch Gloves (bought)
    -Army Wool Watch cap (bough)
    _Marmot ion windshirt……(will add after may, after colder gear shipped home)
    -mountain hardwear power stretch gloves

Footwear
    Keen Voyager mid (bought) This is open for change as the hike goes on….may transition to trail runners.
    -Two Pair Bridgedale trekkers (bought)

Water
    Two one liter aqua fina bottles.
    One platypus bladder with tube (bough)
    One Nalgene Collapsible Bladder for camp. (bough)
    Aqua Mira

Poles
    Not sure…..pacer poles? Black Diamond non shock poles? Help

Kitchen
    -Snow peak 700 with jet boil lid. (own) also own pinnacle soloist, a bit bigger but also a bit heavier.
    -Sea to summit collapsible mug (own)
    -Snow peak giga power (own)
    -Outdoor Research Stuff sack as food bag. (own)
    -Tabasco sauce!!!!!

First Aid
    -duct tape
    -a **** load of motrin
    -small tube of lotrim
    -four years of emergency nursing knowledge
    -possibly some butt paste

Hygiene
    -Dr. bonners soap
    -toothbrush and paste

MISC
    -iphone and charger (own)
    -pen and small notebook
    -dog tags
    -pipe/tobacco
    -550 cord
    -swiss army tinker
    -BIC lighter
    -two bandannas
    -small pack towel/sham wow?
    Princeton Tech head lamp (own)

And some crocs, a phillies hat,

Images

Mid-April start, right?

The #2 Montbell should be fine. You may get one or two nights in the teens, but you can wear your clothes to bed. The weather overall should be very nice.

Either the Rainbow or the Moment would be fine. I use a hammock in the summer, but a tarp or tarptent in cold weather.

Go easy on the Motrin, but you know that, right?

Gold Bond powder is magic.

Make or buy a pot cozy out of Reflectix. Keeps your coffee and your dinner hot in your SP 700. Very useful.

Spoon? Spork? (I hate sporks.)

I carry an aluminum snow stake to use as a trowel and backup tent stake. Alcohol gel is very useful for hygiene.

Have fun!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

For mid April I would look at a little bit thinner bag and augment it with extra clothes. This way you only need one bag for the whole trip instead of two. I have used a half decent, but not in any way good, 32 deg synthetic during that time and been fine.

Journal Entries
    Images

Some observations:

rain cover for pack
    unless you are sure of comfort level in a hammock stick with a tent
    extra pr socks for camp use only
    maps
    Companion/Handbook for resupply and town info
    eating utensil
    hand sanitizer
    don't need much Dr B's
    TP
    whistle
    needle for draining blisters
    sun screen (no leaves on trees)
    ear plugs

And, of course, don't forget ID/atm/credit cards.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

The most critical gear. "School of hard knocks." Don't worry it will find you!

-Ice Breaker Lite tee (if I drop a few pounds and its not so form fitting)……please suggest a nice loose fitting technical tee!!
    A Target C9 top works fine, as does a Walmart Starter wicking shirt. After 5 years of running and backpacking the nicest tech shirt I've found is a Hind, but have only found those reasonably priced at roadrace expos. Old Navy also makes a decent wicking shirt.

I always share this Backpacker Magazine article about Winton Portercwhen someone asks to comment on gear. All you need to know is listed under the "Mountain Crossings Method" on page 4.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...articles/12659

Good luck!

thanks guys. i have a ula pack cover, and gold bond powder is a definate. i have a snow peak titanium spork, and i am somewhat debating the snowpeak 700. wondering if i may be better off with a 900. i can cook a meal just fine in the 700 but im thinking if i want to add chicken or anything else to the meal a 900 would be better. the sleeping bag is my biggest concern. debating on whether it is worth the risk of going with a #3 and being a bit cold in order to use just one bag for the whole trip.

Journal Entries
    Images

Consider a sleeping bag liner. It might add 5-10F warmth. It will help to keep your sleeping bag clean and is much easier to clean when in town.

If you are rethinking your pot, you might consider this one.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbrecon2 View Post
    thanks guys. i have a ula pack cover, and gold bond powder is a definate. i have a snow peak titanium spork, and i am somewhat debating the snowpeak 700. wondering if i may be better off with a 900. i can cook a meal just fine in the 700 but im thinking if i want to add chicken or anything else to the meal a 900 would be better. the sleeping bag is my biggest concern. debating on whether it is worth the risk of going with a #3 and being a bit cold in order to use just one bag for the whole trip.
    Bag: By mid-April I have switched over to a 30-F bag. My wife has the Montbell #3 and it is very true to its rating. That said, I am doing sections and weekend hikes -- I can change my gear list based on the short term weather forecast -- you can't. We had single digit temps last April for several days. (Also, the #2 25-F bag should be fine for the whole hike anyway -- open it up and drape it over you as a quilt in warmer weather.)

You might consider holding off on the bag purchase until right before you leave, and check the 2-week forecast for the mountains. That'll get you into early May, when the #3 is fine.

Mug: I have both the 700 and the 900, and I go back and forth with the exactly the same thoughts before each hike. The 900 can handle a Liptons Meal and a whole bag of chicken. The 700 is easier to use as a coffee mug, and weighs less and packs smaller. For a thru-hike I would most likely take the 900, just to have the option of making a larger meal. I'd get the Pinnacle lid for it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

i too would recommend the larger cup. your appetite will likely be huge!
    you may want to consider rain mitts or some sort of glove to keep your hands dry. unless you're ok with soaked hands.

i hammock, but probably wouldn't "try" it out on the trail right away. maybe that's something you can pick up down the road, say july. from what i hear from other members here you won't go wrong w/ a tarptent. saw a handful of em out there this past year.

tj max or marshals for the short sleeve athletic shirt. buy one that feels comfy

you may wanna take the ion windshirt with you from the start. i often hike in my windshirt when it's cold and i don't need much insulation. you could see some spiky weather early on
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

here's your montbell. you can save a couple bucks

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=27362
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

other candidates. a real steal at $50 off

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=26515

Backpacker
    Images

Looks pretty good, like you're not over-doing it. You'll know for sure by the time you hit Neel Gap anyway.

My suggestions: crocs (your feet will be glad to be out of the boot and breathe)
    vitamins - just take a handfull of multi-vitamins and refill as you go
    floss - you'll eat a lot of crappy food out there, dont neglect your teeth
    And most imprtantly take a winning attitute. and maybe a Thru-hiker handbook

thanks wags and everyone!! vitamins is a great idea i cant believe i never thought of. i had considered protein powder. crocs are on the list i just forgot them. the big one is the sleeping bag. im considering the #3 now. im almost positive im gonna go with the montbell. i have broad shoulders, so i like the stretch factor. and im thinking a 30 will make it more versatile, use it for the whole hike. i took a drive to delaware water gap and hiked to sunfish pond today!! very exciting. i than drove to campmor to check out gear. after much anticipation of campmor i felt very disappointed. ill stick with REI

I have the ULSS #2, and started with the #3 initially. Test slept in it one night in garage at 30, and was not warm enough. Traded for the #2, and have never looked back. The 2 is way warmer then the 3. Get the Long if you are anywhere close to 6'. The ss feature is great. Love the bag, and it is my only one, just quilt it in warm temps. Good luck.

Leki trekking poles
    Strongest.
    Service.
    New Speedlock available in March...
    Most trailside stores have knowledge and parts!

Images

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, on the Montbell bags I would also recommend getting one size longer than you think you need. My 5-4 wife has two Montbell bags, both in Long sizes, and they fit perfectly. The "regular" was just a little too short. Odd, but that's her experience.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

regarding the montbell bags. i'm about 5'7. Should i opt for the long?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++