WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

planning a Thru-Hike cindellasaurus's Avatar
    Images

Default Gregory Deva 60...too heavy?

I'm very short (5' 1"), and after doing much research on packs have decided that the Gregory Deva 60 is the most comfortable fit for me. The problem is that it weighs 5lbs 3oz.

Have any of you hiked with this pack? Is it worth the added weight or do you prefer something lighter?

my daughter is 5'4". 120 lbs and loves her Diva 60...very comfortable.

geek

My gf uses this pack... She's 5.0'/110lbs and hell on wheels... She's tried a variety of bags over the years and prefers the Diva 60... She would prefer something lighter but can't beat the fit.

I used to struggled with the same question. I have the Gregory Jade 60 and I just cannot believe how comfortable it is for me. It weighs 3.15 (lets call it 4 pounds). Since it is so comfortable not only do I not notice the extra weight of the pack, my pack load "feels" lighter. Very much well worth it. Yes, it is technically heavier but I can go much longer and more comfortably with this set up.

"Cindy",
    That pack is "weigh" too heavy for you, and even for a guy like me at 180 lbs. and 5' 10". Try for something nearly as comfortable at 2 1/2 or 3 lbs. like an REI UL 60.

I'd never carry a 3 season pack that heavy. Its weight causes you to have to skimp on too many other important items. because you have to cut weight someshere. If you don't you may not finish your trip.

My girlfriend has a long trail end-to-end in a Jade. She used a Deva on her through hike. You should really consider the jade.

Images

"Too heavy" is a question only you can answer, since you're the one who will have to carry it.

Have you purchased and assembled the contents of the pack yet? If not, you should do that before you buy the pack. Only when you know what's going inside it will you know if the pack is the right size to hold the contents, and will have the right feel on your back.

For myself, I would never consider a pack that heavy, except possibly as a luxury pack for going-heavy low-mileage hikes. For a long-distance hike, it's not at all unreasonable to have a warm-weather load of around 20 pounds and there's no way you need a five-pound pack to carry that.

However, you're 17 and probably not too worried about your knees, etc. If the pack feels good and you don't care about the weight, go for it! That pack will last for the rest of your life and will always be your go-to pack for heavy-duty expeditions.
    Last edited by Marta; 01-07-2010 at 07:56.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I'm 4' 10", 125 lbs and I had to ditch the Deva. It was killing me. Even with the top lid off it towered over my head and constantly pushed my head forward, making my neck ache. The hip belt would get so heavy and cumbersome by the end of a day that it was hobbling me. I sold it to someone taller than me and she loves it. I went to a Jade which was far better but then REI came out with the Flash pack and I love it!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

My fiancee is 5'-3", not sure of the weight but if i had to guess like 110? (I hope I'm not way off LOL). She has the Deva 60 and absolutely loves it. She tried on a ton of different packs and actually bought an Osprey Atmos but brought it back because she just couldn't get it to fit or feel right. She has never complained about any part of the pack in any way

As a side note to my previous post, when I first met my gf she was an ultralighter wearing a ULA pack and a load of roughly 18lbs. Our first few hikes together she always complained of lower back pain. Also I generally don't hike on trails, prefering bushwacking or abandoned trade and logging routes. She was finding this style was shredding her lite gear so she began shopping for a new pack and other more stout pieces of gear. She tried ospray, rei, and eventually a diva and settled happily on the diva. Despite her overall load increasing to around 28lbs she now can hike All day with no more back pain. Part of this also may be contributed to the fact that she also switched from trail runners to an actual hiking boot.

Again she would love to find a durable pack in the 2-3 lbs range that fits and carries like the diva, but so far this is the one for her. In the end you have to find a pack that fits your body shape properly. Lighter isn't always better.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DAJA View Post
    As a side note to my previous post, when I first met my gf she was an ultralighter wearing a ULA pack and a load of roughly 18lbs. Our first few hikes together she always complained of lower back pain. Also I generally don't hike on trails, prefering bushwacking or abandoned trade and logging routes. She was finding this style was shredding her lite gear so she began shopping for a new pack and other more stout pieces of gear. She tried ospray, rei, and eventually a diva and settled happily on the diva. Despite her overall load increasing to around 28lbs she now can hike All day with no more back pain. Part of this also may be contributed to the fact that she also switched from trail runners to an actual hiking boot.

Again she would love to find a durable pack in the 2-3 lbs range that fits and carries like the diva, but so far this is the one for her. In the end you have to find a pack that fits your body shape properly. Lighter isn't always better.
    Point taken. A 20-lb. pack is a much smaller percentage of my body weight (I'm 6' tall; I'm not going to fess up on my weight) than it is for a hundred-pounder. If I were carrying >20% of my body weight in a pack, I'd probably want a more supportive pack, too.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

planning a Thru-Hike cindellasaurus's Avatar
    Images

These are all very interesting, and thanks for the input! I think I'll see how I like both the Deva and the Jade.. if the Jade is as comfortable, I think that's definitely what I'll go for, seeing as how it's significantly lighter.

Again, thanks a lot!!!

Images

I am five 1 and think my Deva is super comfortable but heavy. I will use it in winter though. For warmer weather lighter packing, I got a kelty exterior frame and love it.

++ New Posts ++