WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default tarptent moment vs. rainbow

was looking for input on these tents for a thru hike starting in april. I've got it narrowed doen to the two and was just wondering if anyone who owns them could give me some feedback. it looks like the moment has more vestibule area, while the rainbow is freestanding without an additional pole if i use poles.

Franco pretty much put the nail in the coffin on that one, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The larger an unsupported panel is , the worst it will be in the wind. (think of sails)
    Some of the above mentioned shelters do have large unsupported and rather flat fabric or mesh panels.
    This is why, for example, the Double Rainbow can deflect multi directional wind better than the Rainbow .
    The Moment, by design, is better than all of the other above mentioned shelters in the wind.
    The two ends are very aerodynamic, however that cross main pole gives the structure lateral strength and splits the wind in two. Note that there are no flat areas on the Moment.
    Franco
    I'm pretty sure I'll be going with a Moment.

Journal Entries

I was trying to make the same decsion about 6 - 8 weeks ago. After doing some reading on BDL I decided on the Momnet. Mine will shipping today or tomorrow. Can't Wait

Journal Entries

Sorry that should be BPL not BDL

http://tarptent.com/moment.html
    Since you'll probably have a bit of snow, sleet, and freezing rain, I'd go with the tent that has the least unsupported fabric and a roof that encourages the above to slide off.
    Freestanding may help way up in the White Mountains, but probably not much south of there. I'd choose minimal staking (the Moment has only 2 necessary to make it stand) rather than extra poles (or stakes, for that matter) which are necessary for a so-called "freestanding" (none of them are in a big wind) tent.
    I own a Hilleberg Akto, which I think is the perfect tent (with the exception of poor warm weather ventilation). It does exceptionally well in the wind and better than expected in snow.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I own a Moment and love it B/C it:

1. holds up to high winds well
    2. has a very useable vestibule
    3. is very rainstorm-worthy
    4. is even faster setting up than my former Contrail
    5. is extremely well ventilated to reduce condensation

Just ordered a Tarptent Double Rainbow

++ New Posts ++