WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    you americans just don't know good food when u see it.
    My uncle isn't American...

Nalgene bottle. It was frozen in the moring, Tried to thaw by a fire. Was too close. Can you say "Baked Alaska"?

Butane lighter. This one was on purpose. I had a nearly-empty butane lighter and a brand new one. When the nearly empty one finally made too-small a flame... "Say lets throw it in the fire and see what happens!" It was a fairly impressive "boom" for something 'empty'. I looked at my friend and said "I wonder what a FULL one would do?" I put it in the middle and quickly retreated. BOOM! We were there for hours before this. We had a 3+ foot diamater fire with a good bed of hot coals from down, dead oak logs. It blew the fire out.

By the way it was 5 degrees out that night.

Yes, alcohol was involved.

BL
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    My uncle raises pigs from time to time. The last time he brought me some bacon and a ham and the head Well the head sat in the freezer for a few months. Later in the year a few of my cousins and I went on a camping trip and I brought the frozen pig head. On the third night we roasted the pig head over the campfire. Man that was funny looking but some of the pig face was pretty decent to eat.
    WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS! AND HE'S FROM TENNESEE.....

Talk about forfilling stereotypes.... wow.... I wish we had pictures and I mean that in a good way.

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Black dogs taste best
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS! AND HE'S FROM TENNESEE.....
    Thank ya now what did win
    All endeavors require some blood, I just wish it wasn't always my blood:)

Journal Entries
    Images

Life and a big box of chocolate....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

planning a Thru-Hike cindellasaurus's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    An idiot drunk ovenighter college boy once trying to replicate the boyscout trick of boiling water over a fire in a paper cup.
    He tried 4-5 times with a styrofoam cup before he gave up and went back to his beer..
    Haha! Funny thing is, it's possible. We did it in AP Chemistry..

The stupidest thing I've ever seen? A can of beans (unopened).

I was camping with a friend and her family when we heard a loud bang! The people camping across from us began laughing and one walked over and said "we blew up tha can a' beans, guess we was supposed ta open it firs.!" We eventually began referring to them as "The Hills Have Eyes." They also liked to engage in activities such as stalling their ancient blue truck on a garbage run (mind you, the garbage disposal was all of 70 feet from where they were camping) and attempting to feed a fellow camper's parrot the food that had hardened on their clothes during the week, yumyum!

Baltimore Jack cooking, (burning flaming sauasages at the Saphire Inn during Ron Havens April bash.

Images

I once witnessed someone trying to cook their alcohol, as in denatured alcohol. They lit their little alky stove first, set their pot on the flame, then accidentally picked up their alcohol bottle instead of their water bottle. Talk about a fireball!!! Some of the alcohol landed on their leg and I watched this torch coming off her leg as she ran around trying to put it out. No damage, but she didn't have to shave her legs for a week. She no longer keeps her fuel in a nalgene.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Journal Entries

One chilly October several decades ago we climbed Old Speck and was heading to Gorham, NH via the Mahoosuc Range. We crawled through the notch in a heavy snow. At the Full Goose Shelter I tried to dry my synthetic socks next to the fire. It worked for one sock. But the second was a bit closer to the flames. It didn't burn. The toe just melted. Since then I've used only wool. Yeah, I know. Wool also burns, but it has the advantage of smelling a bit first as a warning.

Weary

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

A car bumper.

On a portion of the Duncan Ridge Trail in Georgia between, oh who cares, a road parallels the ridge and intersects the trail at frequent intervals. At a clearing near one of those intersections someone built a big-axe bonfire and cooked a car bumper. I first saw it about 10 years ago, it wasn't new then and remnants of it are still there today.

Why someone would haul a car bumper into the middle of nowhere and go through all the trouble to burn it is left to the reader's imagination but I imagine some sort of evidence was being destroyed. That area produces a lot of questions best left unanswered.

This summer the GATC rebuilt a couple miles of the DRT and I had to provide directions. That area made a good access point so "Burnt Bumper Gap" was christened.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Many moons ago, in the late 1950's, my Scout Troop took a hike, and one kid brought along a 12" cast-iron frying pan and a large can of pork & beans. When lunchtime came he got his fire going but realized he forgot to bring along a can opener. Why he never asked if anyone else had one is still a mystery. So he put the sealed can in the frying pan on the fire. In a few minutes we heard a muffled pop and suddenly it was raining beans from a clear blue sky.

I win !
    I dated a bimbo back in the seventies.........OK...... I dated bimbo'z my whole life.
    Anyway. It was 25 degrees or so and said BIMBO had a can of hair spray, yeah, it was the Farrah Daze, that wouldn't spray......... I SAID it was the seventies.
    She put it close to the fire.

Figure out the rest.
    HINT
    If it happened today, the Dumbpartment of Homelessland Insecurity would have helicopters on site.

And how long have you guys been married?

Solitude without lonliness... rjridgely's Avatar

Lexan bowl
    Because whiskey from a tin cup...just tastes better

Journal Entries
    Images

I told my adhd son years ago to stay out of the fire circle because it was dirty... before I had a chance to collect firewood I turned around to see him playing in the middle........

Woo

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

After walking in rain all day I saw a hiker put his boot next to the fire to dry an forgot to keep an eye on them the next thing he knew they were smoking on fire
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

Images

a can of beans they threw the can in the fire and when they attempt to open the steam burn their face ouch and their pants hit the ground
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

This was a newbie move, I met this girl hiking and we set up camp about 7-10 miles into the smokies. We built a fire and started cooking. I couple gave me a can of deviled ham, but it was sealed shut and I had to have a can opener....NOT. I put the can in the fire, hoping that it would just pop the can open. It blew up. everywhere. The girl i was with had ham everywhere. We were in bear country. It even hurt her eyes pretty bad. She left the trail the next day. luckily no bears came by that night.
    Trail name- Jingles.

I remember my first time on the AT, with my boy scout troop. It wasn't necessarily cooking over a fire, but rather putting in the fire. We included tinactin and bug spray cans. OMG, did they ever explode with such awesome force. That's my funny campfire story beyond another scout setting his tent ablaze from embers.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++