WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Default 7th Annual Billville Winter Warmer - February 26-28, 2010

Hello again comrades in trash!

I am very pleased to be able to officially announce the Seventh Annual Billville Winter Warmer! This year, the Winter Warmer will be held on February 26th, 27th and 28th as always and the wonderful, warm, welcoming and historic Doyle Hotel! (http://doylehotel.com)

Q: What is a 'Winter Warmer"?

A: OK, really? Do I still have to do this Q&A? This has got to be getting old by now! But simply put, The Billville Winter Warmer is an excuse to get together and hang out with friends who love the AT and hiking. It has been very loosely organized by proud Billville members like myself and Jester.

While this is mostly a Billville event, all who love the trail and/or central Pennsylvania are welcome. There is no schedule of events. There are no seminars. And there is very little sleep.

As with every Warmer, there will be a Bad Hiker Poetry contest some time on Saturday night. This usually involves somewhat humorous performances by about a dozen hikers, and a lot of talking about how the contest was funnier last year, and certainly none were as funny as Max Patch or Bum a Cigarette. (caution: that was an inside joke).

Other options for the weekend are numerous, however, with many short hiking options right out the front door of the Doyle or a short drive away. Also, if you missed the Gathering, its about an hours drive to take a tour of Gettysburg.

Q: Where is the Winter Warmer?

A: If you don't know where the Doyle is and you have been a member of Whiteblaze for more than a month, something is seriously wrong. However, for those of you unfamiliar, the Warmer will once again be held at the Doyle Hotel and Bar in downtown Duncannon, PA. There are several rooms available, and the quiet hours start at 2 am. If you would rather, there is a campground just down the street. Also, just outside of town the truck stop has rooms available as well.

As always, most people stayed in the Doyle, however since this little shin-dig has grown a lot since year one, space does get a little tight. You should be prepared to crash on a floor, or share your floor space with a friend! Don't have a friend? This is a perfect excuse to make a new one! Do you snore? Have fun getting in a fight with your new friend!

*NOTE - I have no control over the rooms and availability, so if you want to attend and guarantee yourself a room, please call the Doyle and talk to either Pat or Vickey.

(Please remember to pay your share to the Doyle even if you are sleeping on the floor! Not sure about the current rates, but last year it was $5 a night.)

I've said all many times before, but the Doyle is kind enough to host this event, we love being here, we have been treated very well each of the past six years. Pat and Vickey are excellent hosts - and we are lucky to have a great, friendly place like the Doyle to gather in the middle of winter. So once again, thank you guys for putting up with us! Please treat the Doyle and this event with respect!

Q: What do I bring to the Warmer?

A: Bring nothing or bring everything. Hell, you don't even need to bring a change of clothing if you really don't want to! But beware, there is no smoking in the Doyle Bar anymore, so you're not going to be able to hike your terrible BO with smoke anymore. (I'm looking at you, Jester).

Otherwise, you can bring hiking gear, but be prepared for snowy and icy conditions. Bring any photo albums that you would like to share. Got some hiking videos? Bring your DVD's. If you are a future AT hiker, bring your questions. If you are a past AT hiker, bring your answers. If you happen to be a crazy southbound hiker out in the dead of winter, don't worry about bringing your friends - you lost those a few hundred miles ago.

We would also like to invite any hikers that are heading down to Springer to stop in at the Doyle on your way south. While there might be better ways to kick off your AT hike than hanging out at the Doyle and chewing the fat with some AT alumni, there are certainly much WORSE ways to start your hike. The Billville Winter Warmer - you could do worse.

Q: Anything else I should know about the Warmer?

A: Yes - Contra Dancing is still strictly prohibited. If you are planning to attend, please let me know and call The Doyle to make sure that there are rooms available. I get a lot of calls and emails last minute to see if there is bed space, etc... If you don't want to plan ahead, its no problem. Just bring a sleeping bag and pad and pull up some floor space. We're nothing if not friendly!

If you would like more information, you can post a reply here or send me a Private Message. I hope to see many of you at the Seventh Annual Billville Winter Warmer!

chomp

The Billville Winter Warmer is one of my favorite times of the year, I will definitely be there and hope to see many friends there as well.

Very good news, Chomp, especially the continued prohibition of Contra Dancing.

I hope this applies to Drum Circles as well, as recent nationally circulated news reports have linked drumming of this sort to anthrax poisoning, which of course, some of us had long suspected.

I could tell you what Contra Dancing can lead to, but this is a family website, so such comments are better left for elsewhere, and preferably cloaked in medical Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Very good news, Chomp, especially the continued prohibition of Contra Dancing.

I hope this applies to Drum Circles as well, as recent nationally circulated news reports have linked drumming of this sort to anthrax poisoning, which of course, some of us had long suspected.

I could tell you what Contra Dancing can lead to, but this is a family website, so such comments are better left for elsewhere, and preferably cloaked in medical Latin.
    What, Charlie Benante came to a drum circle? That would be friggen AWESOME. Oh, yeah and I'm down with the contras interruptus as well.

Ummm, I heard about this new bar. But I heard it was a leather bar.

Im coming and starting a drum circle

Storyteller
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    Ummm, I heard about this new bar. But I heard it was a leather bar.
    You might be thinking of TJs, which is a few miles up Routes 11/15 from the Doyle.

Timing of this could not be better, what with me having a mid-March deadline for a Trail Towns piece on Duncannon for AT Journeys.

And Pat and Vicky will certainly enjoy the company (and the business). Stopped there on my way home from Cookie Monster's basketball game last evening and the only person in the place was the bartender (P&V certainly deserve evenings off, but hate seeing that happen because biz is so slow -- not to mention I was looking forward to Pat's cooking me dinner). The Pa. smoking ban has put a dent in their "off-season" local clientele, many of whom now tend to drink at the local legion post, since private clubs are not subject to the ban.

Long drive just for a drum circle.

tanks post has emotion. theres so much their not telling you about the warmer. and im sworn to be beaten if i do. " what happens at the warmer, stays at the warmer" but its soooo tempting.

rm 23 will be accepting applications from women only for floorspace. the bed will be available as i sleep on the floor.
    matthewski

Yay! I love the Warmer. It's all warm and stuff. And I hear there's a new bar!

Can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait!

I might have a little snippet of video to show as well, hopefully . . .
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I'm there.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I'm there.

geek
    Excellent! Geek is the man from whom I got the oft quoted line, "you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning."

See you in the am for a snort or two!
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Jack do you want me to book the honeymoon suite

Quote Originally Posted by BAG "o" TRICKS View Post
    Jack do you want me to book the honeymoon suite
    Yea ya'll can use the picture of you 2 in Wintons book as foreplay

Images

So if I read the dates right it's 3 Days of chilling at the Doyle and just being spontaneous and shooting the bull with other hikers? The way things are going for me that sounds like something I could be really excited about the room rate is about in line with the amount I can spend for a "Vacation"
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

No smoking? Sheesh. How's the heat in the winter time?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    No smoking's just the law. Which is mostly enforced in the supervised bar area. It's just like pro wrestling, what the ref doesn't see....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    the heat is fantastic.

i'll be there. it's been way, way too long since i've seen you fools.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

Default Billville?

What is the origin of "Billville"? Just curious.
    I saw Pat and Vicki yesterday when I stopped by the Doyle. They are looking forward to the event.
    iTrod
    GA->ME 2010 hopeful
    Take it easy, but take it...iTrod

Default Billville is more of a state of mind rather than a place.

Quote Originally Posted by iTrod View Post
    What is the origin of "Billville"?
    It started in 2000 when a half dozen or so hikers went into Elk Park and came out with Tractor Supply work shirts with the name "Bill' on them. Jester's about the only original, but the ranks have grown.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++