WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Jetboil Sol Ti questions

Be careful what you ask for--you might get it.....

I have a new stove! It is a Jetboil Sol Ti. I haven't fired it up yet because I haven't found a mail order source for the canisters where you don't have to buy a whole case at once and pay an extra 'hazardous shipping' fee.

The neoprene cozy is very flimsy. The weight of the stove empty is more than the 'handle' can handle. Does anyone use this stove and how do you lift it when cooking?

The lid does not seem very secure--does anyone drink from the pot with the lid on like a mug?

On the plus side--the cozy comes off and the pot fits over my V-8 alcohol burner perfectly! Seems like overkill but if the stove quit working there is a doable back up plan.

I am looking foreward to trying out the stove as soon as I get a canister for it, but I have to say that at this point I am not too impressed with the thing. Do other brands of canisters work or do I have to get the Jetboil canister for it?

Any advice will be appreciated-grayfox

Where did you get it? My JetBoil Flash is top notch quality and I've been thinking about replacing the cup with a sol Ti companion cup. I handled it in the store and it seems just as good of quality. I would maybe wonder if yours is defective. The lid on mine is amazing, love using it for coffee in the morning.

My local gear shop will sell me cases of fuel (if I wanted) at a discount compared to buying individual, have you checked your local shop? Probably can't order less than a case of fuel because they are small, cheap, and inexpensive individually. (remember the canister that fits inside the jetboil is smaller than most fuel canisters)

**Any brand will due, just get the small one so it fits inside the cup!

O.K. I just went out and bought a Sol Ti companion cup to replace my Flash.

1) Gosh that thing is light... love it!

2) The lid seems fine. Sturdy and a tight fit, oh they added strainer holes on the top for draining pasta!!!!

3) That handle does feel super flimsy, but secure. I have yet to test it, but I'm willing to bet it will work perfectly fine. If you are still unsure about it, you can grab the cozy and lift it off the stove that way. Or even better, grab by the cozy with one finger in the handle for leverage.

i work at an outdoor retailer and i can tell you it will be very difficult to order cannisters. Iin order to be able to ship them you are required to have certain hazmat licenses. Something that most companies don't care to spend money on. Also it does cost them extra to send the cannisters because they are a hazardous item.

Two stoves really? how about if your jetboil stops working you make a fire. that certainly sounds like a doable backup to me.
    a happy boddhitsva

I don't actually lift the Jetboil pot/cup of the stove using the handle but rather than just grabbing it around the cozy. I don't think that I would put my hand through the sleeve either just to be sure my hand didn't get tangled in it when it is filled with boiling water...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

I've only used the Jetboil fuel a couple times. I actually think the snowpeak fuel canisters last longer (maybe...), but they are definitely cheaper.

I did finally locate a canister last week and have been learning how to use my new stove.

So far, I have been burned by hot metal, scalded by boiling macaroni when I tried to turn the heat down, and had my shirt dribbled on with hot coffee thru a lose lid.

You might think that I have given up--but no, not yet. Because, man, is this stove fast! It can boil water for tea befor I have time to unwrap the tea bag.

So here are my thoughts. The handle is not only worthless, but downright dangerous. The cozy material is too thin to be of much help in handeling a hot pot but does keep some heat in for a time to let food rehydrate. The lid is hard to use because there is no knob to lift it. It sticks when you just want to stir the pot and refuses to seal when you want to drink or pour from the pot--and its full of holes that let heat out and the odd bug in as well as let steam out into anything you try to use as an extra cozy. The pot attaches to the stove and often sticks so that it is hard to lift the pot from the stove witout picking up the whole thing together but precariously so. The stove can also be unwound from the canister as you try to separate the pot from its attachment points on the stove. If someone were to unwittingly unwind it enough to allow the canister to leak and the fuel became ignited.....

But did I say, the stove is fast.

I bent the rim of the stove out so that the pot will separate easier when I lift it. I am looking for a metal lid that will fit the pot and a pot lifter to use as a handle--this will negate some of the weight savings of Ti but I think it will be more usable and safer.

The stove is too hot to cook on and does not adjust to simmer without going out. The trick is to use the extra pot support to raise the pot enough to be cooler, it still won't simmer but at least it won't boil over as fast.

The stove has an auto ignition that worked reliablly--twice. It is best to use a lighter--add more carry weight to your total. The good news is that the cup that covers the bottom of the pot is pretty useless as a cup and too small for a bowl so you can save some grams by leaving it at home.

If you just want to boil water and never want to cook on the stove, this might be a good stove for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    .........If you just want to boil water and never want to cook on the stove, this might be a good stove for you.
    Sounds like you're ready to go back to an alcohol stove.

After all, if you were in a hurry you wouldn't be walking.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Yep, Jetboil is great for boiling water. That's pretty much all I do, so I'm happy. I don't cook though, so I've been leaving it at home. I just decided to bring it with me on a 3 month trip instead of using a white gas stove since it'll be simpler and cleaner. I suppose it could be used well for other things like making coffee with the coffee press kit or for making hot dogs, but then I'd have to clean it, so I'd rather not use it for that.

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    If you just want to boil water and never want to cook on the stove, this might be a good stove for you.
    Oh, I don't know. I've been able to get some pretty good results out of the danged thing. It is tricky in the low end of the flame's range though.

HJ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

Images

I forgot about this thread. Later last summer I finally started using my Jetboil with a standard pot and cooked with a very low flame for most meals. Fwiw, I had zero wind.

Thanks guys for the latest comments--I too have come to appreciate the good points of my Jetboil. I have adjusted my cooking style a bit to keep from burning food and boiling over liquids. I do like being able to get a quick cup of coffee in the morning.

I think that the stove is very economcal in fuel use. It is so fast that very little fuel needs to be used per cup of water boiled. I have been able to heat water for washing up as well without running out of fuel on a couple of trips. I have taken two small canisters and had fuel left after a week of my normal cooking--usually I would take about one liter of alcohol or about 3/4 liter of whitegas.

I have the Sol Ti .8 L cup much better than the original. With the original, I had to use an extra long spoon than had like a baby spoon on it. The .8 L size is much more convenient for me.

I never use the sipper lid. I do not like rubber, or plastic.

However, I did find I use the lid on my GSI Minimalist. It fits just right, looks good. Nice.

How much is a lid supposed to do? Help boil water faster, I say. That's all I want from a lid, and, if it protects the top edge from getting dented, all the better.

The handle is useless. I pick up the Jetboil with my hand clasped around the neoprene sleeve.

I do not remove the burner until I am packing up.

I prepare food with the burner adapter and a separate pan, car camping. Backpacking, I am strictly add-hot-water or cold camp.

Images

If the cozy on the SOL does not work for you, call Jetboil and have them send you a cozy for the zip. The zip cozy is the size of the SPL and made of the same material as the flash. The only thing you give up is the temp indicator and there is a small weight increase.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

i bought the non-ti sol. didn't have a chance to use it on the trail but love its boiling ability over alcohol. i had jetboil envy on the trail. heard the ti sol had meltdown problems. just hearsay, mind you, but the weight savings between the two is negligible.

- pages

++ New Posts ++