WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Post Hikin' in da moonlight

    Howlin' good times are had hiking under a full moon or by starlight (cooperative clouds permitting). Any special moments you'd like to share from the dark side? This time of year it's of course not a long wait for sunset so we have some of our best chilly thrills. If you're in Dane county on a full moon night, come join us! 7PM: Jan 30-Valley View, Feb 28-Lodi Marsh, March 30-Ice Age Junction, April 28-Badger State in Belleville, May 27-Sugar River in Monticello. For directions contact [email protected]

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-31-2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    687
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    6

    Default

    Is Valley View a park or a town? And where is Ice Age Junction?
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-31-2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    687
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold View Post
    Is Valley View a park or a town? And where is Ice Age Junction?
    Never mind: found them. January 30th is my birthday so maybe I'll treat myself.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

  4. #4

    Default

    Bald mountain hikes in the moonlight are my favorite. Did Grassy Ridge (Roan Highlands) last summer. It was great.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold View Post
    Never mind: found them. January 30th is my birthday so maybe I'll treat myself.
    I look forward to the chance of meeting you on such a special day

  6. #6
    Registered User Big Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2004
    Location
    NC
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,638
    Images
    67

    Default

    One of my favorite & longest night hikes,,, north of Hot Springs. The moon was bright & the leaves were off the trees.

  7. #7
    Registered User Big Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2004
    Location
    NC
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,638
    Images
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    One of my favorite & longest night hikes,,, north of Hot Springs. The moon was bright & the leaves were off the trees.
    duhhh.... meant to add pic to last post

  8. #8

    Default

    So... who howled at this really bright full moon with Mars coming in for its closeup? Daybreak today added a soft pink glow to the orb, what a way to book end the weekend.

  9. #9
    Northwoods Nomad IceAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-31-2008
    Location
    Kewaskum, WI
    Age
    48
    Posts
    499
    Images
    23

    Default

    The moon won't quite be full this weekend, but I am thinking of heading out for a weekend trip. Temps in the 40s during the day, 20s at night, should be nice and muddy.

    Gonna try to buy a new sleeping bag this week and if I do, I'll be on the trail.

  10. #10

    Default

    Sunday night in the Lodi Marsh was a good night hike even though the clouds didn't cooperate. The real bummer about cloud cover is that I had arranged for an astronomer to bring his telescope. We still enjoyed the Milky Way (candy bars that is) and the mild air.
    For March, the hike will be in the city of Madison that will include some interpretive signs. Can't escape the street lights glow but the moraine will block the houses once we're in the prairie.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-31-2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    687
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    The moon won't quite be full this weekend, but I am thinking of heading out for a weekend trip. Temps in the 40s during the day, 20s at night, should be nice and muddy.

    Gonna try to buy a new sleeping bag this week and if I do, I'll be on the trail.
    Gettin' kinda itchy myself. What new bag? Can you send a report later?
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-31-2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    687
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V.I.P. View Post
    Sunday night in the Lodi Marsh was a good night hike even though the clouds didn't cooperate. The real bummer about cloud cover is that I had arranged for an astronomer to bring his telescope. We still enjoyed the Milky Way (candy bars that is) and the mild air.
    For March, the hike will be in the city of Madison that will include some interpretive signs. Can't escape the street lights glow but the moraine will block the houses once we're in the prairie.
    Keep me and my boys (ages 17 and 8) in mind this year when you head out. I couldn't make the January 30th trip since I had a fight that night but I still like your interpretive flair. The boys would like the Milky Ways!
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

  13. #13
    Northwoods Nomad IceAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-31-2008
    Location
    Kewaskum, WI
    Age
    48
    Posts
    499
    Images
    23

    Default

    You had a fight? You boxing now?

  14. #14

    Default

    Sierra Club, Ice Age Trail Alliance and Madison Energizers Meetup came together for a great hike last night on the Verona segment/Badger Prairie park. Those that strolled and enjoyed the night lights saw an orange moon glowing just at the horizon upon the return from the interpretive signage. It seemed to quickly rise and become fully rounded in no time at all. For all the first timers who just discovered this little pocket of prairie in their backyard-- we wish you many happy returns!

    In April we will be in the 'absolute' dark of a curved tunnel... wwwhhooooo

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •