WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Trail Journals

Default Trail Journals

I hope I can post this here...

Seems Trail Journals has a short list, so far, for this year..( I am sure it will grow as the time gets near)..

So I was wanting to know who all here that is hiking this year, plan on having an online journal? Trail Journals or otherwise??

I know and am already prepared for all the sarcasem this may bring up. BUT I was just curious..Would like to follow along on your hike as I am miserable here in Texas.

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

It may be deceptively short because you have to post a few journal entries before it becomes visible to others. So if you don't put in preparation entries, it won't show up until after you put in a few on-trail entries.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, as a hasty look at trail journals shows over a hundred 2010 AT journalists. postholer.com only has 10, though that's where I post. My guess is that, though there are a lot less at postholer, you might have better odds of finding people who maintain their journals via postholer as it works better with mobile devices. On the PCT I put in my entries from the trail (via smartphone) whenever I could and typed up an entry for every trail day, and hope to do the same on the AT this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, as a hasty look at trail journals shows over a hundred 2010 AT journalists. postholer.com only has 10, though that's where I post. My guess is that, though there are a lot less at postholer, you might have better odds of finding people who maintain their journals via postholer as it works better with mobile devices. On the PCT I put in my entries from the trail (via smartphone) whenever I could and typed up an entry for every trail day, and hope to do the same on the AT this year.
    I really don't understand why so many people use trailjournals vs postholer. Postholer is so much more flexible and feature rich that it is obviously the better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    It may be deceptively short because you have to post a few journal entries before it becomes visible to others. So if you don't put in preparation entries, it won't show up until after you put in a few on-trail entries.

Duh!!!! This was on the journals them selves....I already have a journal, but not for this year...

I was just looking at the previous years journals and they seemed to have a lot more then this years...

I know it is still early so I will see what happens..Ok. is there anyone posting journals on this year of thier trip?? I was just wanting to follow along with others so I can see whats up with the trail....

Graywolf

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    I really don't understand why so many people use trailjournals vs postholer. Postholer is so much more flexible and feature rich that it is obviously the better choice.
    Thanks Russian, I have never heard of that site till now..Hmmmm, guess I have more journals to read.....

Graywolf

Images

I have a trail journal on the tj website, and have posted several entries. I do not expect to post regularly (daily/day to day) while hiking, although I will make some effort to post occasionally on how I'm doing and how my gear is, what it's like etc. Perhaps once a month. Or I might disappear off the face of the planet in regards to it.
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lillianp View Post
    I have a trail journal on the tj website, and have posted several entries. I do not expect to post regularly (daily/day to day) while hiking, although I will make some effort to post occasionally on how I'm doing and how my gear is, what it's like etc. Perhaps once a month. Or I might disappear off the face of the planet in regards to it.
    Thats cool!!! I'll check it out...

Graywolf

I have a journal on TJ. I don't know how often updates will be made to it, but I plan on journalling every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyway View Post
    I have a journal on TJ. I don't know how often updates will be made to it, but I plan on journalling every night.
    Hello Hyway, I signed your guest book!!!!I am looking forwrd to following your trip...

I explained it in the GB..

Graywolf

Images

I agree with Brian and Russian on the www.postholer.com sight. I also use it b/c it is so much more easily used with mobile devices. It also has an amazing number of great features (mapping, mobile posting, etc) that I've not found on other sites. I have noticed, that it seems on both sites, many people don't begin posting their journal entries until right before their hikes.

Images

Within the next 60 days TJ will have more 2010 content than you can possibly read. It's fun trying though.

I took a look at postholer and didn't like the format. That could be because I am used to reading Trail Journals and have become accustomed to it.

I'm using postholer. I'll be trying to post regularly during my hike this year. Check it out here if you want.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Duh!!!! This was on the journals them selves....I already have a journal, but not for this year...

I was just looking at the previous years journals and they seemed to have a lot more then this years...
    Are we on the same page? I have a journal there, but you can't see my journals yet because I only have 2 entries. I think 3 entries are the minimum before you'll be able to see it.

I'll probably switch to postholer since I like the option of being able to update by text or email, plus the option to embed it on my own webpage.

I have a journal on trailjournals. I will be writing using obselete technology on the trail (i.e. pen and paper), and rely on my son to transcribe them to tj.

++ New Posts ++