WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

oh, and you probably want to give yourself at least 3-5 months to get them well trained and accustomed to the rigors of the trail before starting with a long distance hike.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisGirl34 View Post
    I am getting a puppy in December. It would be ideal to carry this puppy with my in my game hike in 2011 what breeds are most suitable with this?
    You have GOT to be kidding! I am hoping that your post is a prank or a joke.

1) Carrying a dog for over 2100 miles of hiking (6 months)--regardless of the dog's size--would be difficult for both the dog and the hiker. I think many humane societies would even classify it as being cruel.

2) Puppies are physically not ready for the rigors of the trail. Here is what one veterinarian had to say:

"Long-distance treks can be rigorous and demanding for any dog, but dogs under 12 to 14 months of age can sustain damage to their bones and joints that might cause problems later in life."

3) Small dogs and puppies could become "dinner" for larger dogs and other animals.

4) Here is the complete article from a vet regarding dogs on long distance hikes:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/...F1%7D/fido.pdf

Please wait until AFTER your thru hike to buy your puppy.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Wink Pomeranian

I am also planning on taking my dog with on the hike. She will be less then ten pounds full grown as she is a pomeranian. She is crazy and smart and very agile so I have no doubt she will be able to go the distance. The nice thing about her size and breed though is she wont have a problem with the cold and shes so small im just getting a little pouch to hang from the shoulder straps of my pack for her. I like to think that my puppy is my one splurge item-although my dh has already said she is all mine when she needs to be carried because he's not dealing with the extra weight. To a true dog lover she is worth it. See you all on the trail in 2011!

Default ...

A little more info on my pomeranian puppy
    1) She'll be more then 1 yr by trail time
    2) I'm a firm believer in polite dogs and obediance training
    3) She will be walking as much or as little as she wants
    4) I couldn't imagine boarding her of giving her away
    5) She North Dakota tuff

Quote Originally Posted by thecramers View Post
    A little more info on my pomeranian puppy
    1) She'll be more then 1 yr by trail time
    2) I'm a firm believer in polite dogs and obediance training
    3) She will be walking as much or as little as she wants
    4) I couldn't imagine boarding her of giving her away
    5) She North Dakota tuff
    You don't mention it, but I'd consider shaving her during tick season. Poms are little furballs and might be tough to check.

Also, GSMNP and Baxter don't allow dogs. You'll have to board her there or shuttle around those parks.

Enjoy the hike! Enjoy your dog!

Images

Any dog that you are able to carry for the 2,100 miles will be under the catagory of mouse/rat wanna-be. Just get something cool like a real rat or Ferret and hike with that.

Or get a real dog, around the 45 pound weight is good. They are energetic and can last long miles.

Really large breeds tend to only last half the day and then want to relaxe plus the food you will carry is going to over load you.

I hiked with great danes - bad choice due to the shorter mile days and food needs.
    Really like my lab but he does tend to wear out in the mountains sooner then I like. The food is not a big weight deal for me.

My red heeler is great, long mile, light food.

What ever you do remember you are bringing him/her. I only have mine carry the days food and thats it. Everything else (rest of the food, toys, sleeping mat ... ) I carry.

Buy a good pack - rough wear makes one that has the built in frame - its strong/ light weight and has a strong carry handle.
    The ones they make that have a seperate frame/ pack are kinda heavy and don't seem to grip the dog as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    st. bernard
    i was going to say a Newf!
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Default Pomeranian

Yes thank-you I am planning on getting her shaved. She gets enough stuff stuck to her fluff now I can't imagine that many miles what kind of mess she'd look like. I am planning on boarding her for the areas that don't allow dogs. And for everyone with a "real" dog I used to take my little four pound Malti-poo (Hes no longer with us ) with me on trail rides and he would keep pace with my horses for hours. Little dogs have guts and cuddlitude that makes them there own sort of cool. LOL Although I love all dogs no matter their breed or size.

O yea no what I meant about not imagining boarding her was for the entire time I was on the AT. Boarding her for a week or couple days will just be a good rest for her while on the trail.

The past 35,000 years or so of shared evolution leads me to believe that dogs and children belong on the trail with us, at any age. The past 20-200 years or so has gotten a little whacked mind you. Lot's of strange dog breeds out there now, and stranger human behaviour.

When I think of a good trail dog I think of something about the size and shape of a coyote.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    When I think of a good trail dog I think of something about the size and shape of a coyote.
    My golden-retriever-type coyote will be joining me for a section or two hopefully.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this. You need a high energy dog that is intelligent enough to train easily, listens well, and proctective when need be.

Large and small breeds tire more quickly than medium breeds.

Large breeds require HUGE amounts of food and water, and putting them through a long hike carrying their own food and water is just torture to animals already succeptible to hip and joint issues. I would say it's borederline inhumane to take a large breed dog on a 2k+ hike.

Small breeds will be viewed as food by any of the sizable predators on the trail. They have very low endurance. Again, long trail days with such an animal are torture for both you and the dog. I would even venture to say it IS inhumane to take a small animal on a 2K+ hike.

The ideal type breeds for this type of activity will be Australian Sheperds, Blue and red healers, border collies, the medium spaniel breeds, some of the smaller retrievers.

Now there are exceptions to the rule. A well behaved boxer or bulldog may just be a perfect hiking partner, a really well built Lab may just be great for a long term hiking partner.

It's up to you to make that decision. But remember, it's not only you and the dog that will be effected by this decision, it's the people that have to hike around you as well. Make the wrong decision, and well you may find yourself a hated outcast.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++