WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: tarps suck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PUNKINPUSS11 View Post
    am i the only one scuuuured of little critters climbing in,on ya
    It's not like the tent is a big deterrent to a mouse that wants in. At least in a tarp, they won't chew a hole in the wall to get through

Tarps may be perfectly adequate for some hikers but not for me. I'm a tent guy. I don't like the idea of mosquitos or blowing rain coming in where I sleep.

Now "hate" is too strong a word.

I tried a tarp and bivy for a short while, but went back to a tent. I enjoyed the light weight aspect of a tarp, but I am just more comfortable with a tent, and I don't mind the extra weight......I carry a Big Agnes SL1, so it's not that much more weight on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    And there is no chance that they could have picked up the tick while hiking to where they were setting up camp. Ticks like to drop onto their host so it is more likely that the tick was already there. Most ticks have a hard time getting through the sil-nylon. Not that it couldn't happen but then again I think that there are some people who may have slept in a tent and gotten lymes as well. Has been known to happen.
    Duh....you can get Lyme by walking in your yard too. That's why I said it was just something to think about. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Images

when i am in my tent i have that little feeling of being in my own place. .Maybe its a spacial thing, nah bugs...ewwww

Quote Originally Posted by jombo22 View Post
    It's not like the tent is a big deterrent to a mouse that wants in. At least in a tarp, they won't chew a hole in the wall to get through
    I have never, ever had this happen, or even know of anyone who has that happen.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    Duh....you can get Lyme by walking in your yard too. That's why I said it was just something to think about. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
    Actually I must not have been pointed enough. What I was attempting to point out was that what you were saying we should think about is so painfully obvious that I didn't really think that it would be something that would need to be thought about.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Actually I must not have been pointed enough. What I was attempting to point out was that what you were saying we should think about is so painfully obvious that I didn't really think that it would be something that would need to be thought about.

Whoa...dude, you win. You're the smartest person I've ever run across. You know something and don't even have to think about it. I'm impressed now!! Thanks for reminding me that a person can pick up a tick in lots of places....I would have never thought about that.

I will say it again as part of this thread because it IS something to think about when tarping; I know two experienced backpackers that say they caught Lyme from tarping. Now it is possible that they picked up the deer tick someplace else, but both went to tents because they both think the Lyme was due to tarping.

Lyme is the most dangerous thing I've come across on the Trail.

Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Images

I prefer my tarp to a tent. Less condensation. Critters have never been a problem. I bring my net tent and pitch it under the tarp during bug season. Another aspect, and Ray Jardine points this out in his tarp book, is you can enjoy the natural setting of the woods if your not in an enclosed tent.

I don't think it has to be an either/or. In some situations I prefer a tarp, in others I prefer a tent. I'll start my AT thru-hike attempt this year with a Gatewood Cape, which is a poncho-tarp that's pretty "tentlike" but floorless, not fully enclosed. When it gets warmer and bugs are more of an issue, I'll switch to my single-wall tent.

And of course in some wonderful cases it's great to ditch any sort of shelter and cowboy camp!

i used a tent for 20 years. now i'm a tarp convert. i have both a tarp and a tarp tent - the tarp tent is truly the best of both worlds. it's a tent without the floor and it weighs nothing, packs up to the size of a fat nalgene. i use it year round, even in snow. never had a condensation problem just takes knowing how to set it up properly. never had a problem with bugs or critters. for those of you with your irish up, that means i haven't yet had a problem, not that it couldn't happen.

Images

I went from tents to tarps to tents to tarps then back to tents and again a tarp. I think I've found a solution that may in fact help you out too, tarptents. haha. But serisouly I usually carry a tarp with me plus a DR or just a rainbow these days.

Tarps are fun when there are no mosquitoes. Tents are much better when there are mosquitoes. Rain I think is a toss-up.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I think a tarp and bug bivy type setup might be perfect for the AT. I'm not planning a thruhike (maybe next year), but I think that is what I would bring.

Having the bug netting separate makes it a very versatile setup, moreso than a tent or even a tarptent. If you chose to stay in shelters frequently, you could use the bug net alone to ward off insects. I've seen people actually set up a tent inside a shelter, but that takes up a lot more space and seems inconsiderate to me if it's busy.

The only problem would be finding privacy, I suppose you would need to stealth camp to find that.

Images

Default Now you know one.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    April 2008, Gooch Mtn Shelter. Second night on the trail, about 50 yds behind the shelter. I forgot about a bag of peanuts in my pack, and woke up in the middle of the night to a mouse sitting on my pack and feasting. Sucker chewed a hole the size of a golf ball in the side of my tent.

Lesson learned. every night there after I have checked every pocket in my pack before going to bed.

Default Now you know two

Camped at Wilson creek in Maine, near the end of my hike. I had a critter chew a hole through my tent. I was also guilty of overlooked food.

Images

had a large rattle snake slither by the front end of my tarp one time which is why I am now a hammock hanger
    hillbilly

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM HAYES View Post
    had a large rattle snake slither by the front end of my tarp one time which is why I am now a hammock hanger
    hillbilly
    that is smart. cause snakes can't climb trees.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    that is smart. cause snakes can't climb trees.
    Exactly.

http://www.reedysreptiles.com/fullsi...nake%20004.jpg
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    I know a number of people who have had holes chewed through their tents by mice.

I've done both, and I prefer a tent. But w/no bugs or bad weather, I prefer to cowboy.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++