WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Speer winter tarp

I just purchased a speer winter tarp and the accessory kit to go with my eno single hammock, only I have never used a tarp before and have no idea how its supposed to be setup. I have done a lot of searching trying to find videos and what not about how to set it up, but there simply are none that I can find. The directions that came with it are the worst directions I've ever seen, only showing two kinds of knots with no explanation or directions how to tie it. So I have no idea what kind of knots Im supposed to tie and how to tie them. I also don't understand what a ridgeline is, and if im supposed to make it, or if im supposed to use the orange line that came with the accessory kit? Also was wondering if I could use stakes from MSR Hubba Hubba? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I have a lot of difficult figuring out this kind of technical stuff. Any help or direction to videos or something with a good visual would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-CTGuy

Images

http://www.youtube.com/user/attroll#p/a/u/1/YWosjmGUy8U

Here's one way to set up a hammock tarp by Warbonnet Guy

I also have a few basic knot videos on youtube user name RaulPerez1

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I'm a loyal Speer Winter Tarp user, almost year round. Bet tarp I own, IMO.

To set up your SWT, first thing you'll need to do is attach the tieouts, of which there should be 10 orange pieces of Speer No-Tangle guyline. Two guylines will probably be longer than the others. Take those and attach them to the tieouts with the grommets in them on the long axis of the tarp at the end of the center seam. That's the ridgeline. Attach the rest of the guylines to the tieouts and you're ready to hang.

Now, pick 2 trees about 12-15' apart and tie one ridgeline guyline to each tree. Try to keep the tarp as centered as you can between the trees. As far as knots, you can use the Speer 4-Wrap knot (my personal favorite), a slipped buntline hitch, trucker's hitch, taut line hitch or whatever knot works for you (Knots by Grog is an excellent knot resource if you're not familiar with knot work). After the tarp is hung, stake out the 4 tieouts on each side. I like to attach my guylines to my stakes with a clove hitch, but numerous other knots will work as well. Then you stake out the sides, stake out the corners at about a 30-45 degree angle and then the middle guylines. It'll give your tarp a more taut pitch.

If you have any quetions, feel free to PM me anytime. Also, you can go over to Hammock Forums or even contact Ed Speer yourself. He's a great guy and supports his product 110%. Best of luck, let me know how it works for you!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Thanks! For some reason the ridgeline tieouts do not have grommets is that normal?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CTGuy View Post
    Thanks! For some reason the ridgeline tieouts do not have grommets is that normal?
    mine doesn't have grommets on them. Based on ones I have seen none do
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CTGuy View Post
    I've heard of some of them having them, some without. Both my Speer tarps have them, but if they're not on yours, I wouldn't get in a twist over it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Even if yours has them, according to Ed you are not supposed to use them to tie off your ridgeline to them. Not sure why they are there....
    Papa John

Images

Quote Originally Posted by papa john View Post
    Even if yours has them, according to Ed you are not supposed to use them to tie off your ridgeline to them. Not sure why they are there....
    To insert the tips of trekking poles, just in case - heaven forbid - you have to go to ground dweller mode.

Images

My SWT doesn't have grommets either. Don't care, I'll keep walking before I sleep on the stupid ground.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    My SWT doesn't have grommets either. Don't care, I'll keep walking before I sleep on the stupid ground.
    Yeah, dumb ol' ground.

++ New Posts ++