WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    If you're taking up much more space than that by using a tent in a shelter, you're taking space others may potentially need.
    I will say, unless you're injured, you should never need to use a shelter. You should always carry a shelter of your own, be it tent, tarp, bivy, hammock, yurt, teepee, whatever.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Default Bugs

I sort-of set up a tent inside of Wildcat shelter once, to keep the mosquitoes off (it was early August and they were out in force.) I didn't really set the tent up, just wedged my hiking pole between the wall and my pack and hooked the top front tie-out on the end just like I would normally, then pulled the partially unzipped net door down over my head and upper body and tucked it in around my bag. I kept the rest of the tent rolled up and it worked just fine as an improvised head net (the tent's a fine old Squall 2 from Tarptent) and really didn't take up any more room than I did anyway. Of course, it didn't hurt that I was alone as well, but I doubt anyone would have been offended if I hadn't been.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    I have read in more than just a few journals of hikers, especially thru-hikers that set their tents up inside a shelter..What does this accomplish except for taking up space for other hikers who may need the shelter..

I really think it is inconsiderate, but the I guess thats me...But don't you think it would be wise to set the tent up out side so those who need the shelter have space...

Graywolf
    It accomplishes pissing people off.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

its kind of a douchebaggy thing to set up a tent no matter how small in a shelter... i understand that if there is no one there that might be fine, but why would you do it. millions of flat spots out there, just find one and LNT.

or get a bivy and sleep in that in a shelter. i mean really, i dont set up my tent in my room when my friends sleep over...

Images

I set up my hubba in a shelter once. Well, it wasn't actually in the shelter but on the porch that was attached to the shelter. There was no flat land to put my tent on, and the biting gnats were out in full force. It was a huge shelter, two floors. Another person set up their hammock and another couple set up their tent upstairs. There was still plenty of room for more hikers. Of course, one idiot had to stop and yell at us for setting up the tents. Foul old man, who wasn't even staying there anyhow. We all had a good laugh about that.

There is only one reason to consider it rude to set up a tent in a shelter and that is when it takes space away from somebody else. That's it. Otherwise, people are only bitching to hear themselves bitch.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    I set up my hubba in a shelter once. Well, it wasn't actually in the shelter but on the porch that was attached to the shelter. There was no flat land to put my tent on, and the biting gnats were out in full force. It was a huge shelter, two floors. Another person set up their hammock and another couple set up their tent upstairs. There was still plenty of room for more hikers. Of course, one idiot had to stop and yell at us for setting up the tents. Foul old man, who wasn't even staying there anyhow. We all had a good laugh about that.

There is only one reason to consider it rude to set up a tent in a shelter and that is when it takes space away from somebody else. That's it. Otherwise, people are only bitching to hear themselves bitch.
    Well said. Folks who can't tell the difference in regard to the situation are nothing more than SNIVELERS!

Of course, one idiot had to stop and yell at us for setting up the tents. Foul old man, who wasn't even staying there anyhow. We all had a good laugh about that.
    sorry about that day. i've since learned to not let stuff like that bother me

If I see it I start smoking, cooking, farting and burping.

There was no flat land to put my tent on, and the biting gnats were out in full force.
    That's hard to believe, maybe if you walked another .5 miles....

Whats worse...the person who sets up a tent in a shelter or the hiker that shows up at midnite expecting to sleep in the shelter?

Which is just another way of pointing out that if you set up a tent in a shelter you have no idea if you are taking that space away from anyone.

I sleep in the woods. Ya'll do whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Whats worse...the person who sets up a tent in a shelter or the hiker that shows up at midnite expecting to sleep in the shelter?
    Of course there's always a chance a shelter may be full (moreso if it's full of tenters), but I don't see a problem with someone night hiking.

Images

I know that in many states there are laws being passed about smoking in public places. One day something that may take effect at shelters as well. So if I set up my private tent in a shelter can I smoke in it or not?
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    So if I set up my private tent in a shelter can I smoke in it or not?
    Deep philosophical questions by Sasquatch2014
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post

Which is just another way of pointing out that if you set up a tent in a shelter you have no idea if you are taking that space away from anyone.

I sleep in the woods. Ya'll do whatever.
    These answers aer really making me laugh..First we are told that during thru hiking season, the shelters will be full,,I can post numerous of threads statiing that, plus all the trailjournals...

Then I see posts saying you have no idea if the shelter will be full or not..Come on folks,, are the shelters full during thru hiking season or not..Lets get the fact straight...

It is a no brainer to set up your tent in a shelter...What a joke.!!!
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

We hashed this out in another forum. I think the general opinion was essentially that if you are setting your tent up in a shelter and clinging to lame excuses such as it's not yet full, or the bugs were biting (Would the bugs not be thwarted if you set up your tent outside the shelter?) or you didn't want the tent to get wet in the rain, then you are generally viewed as a packsniffer or a total incompetent. (maybe we should start a poll here........
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

I can't believe this is even a question. If you want to sleep in your tent, DO IT OUTSIDE. What the h3ll else is a tent for?
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Shelter Leopard is correct.

If one doesn't want to do the social interaction/shared space thing, then don't stay in the shelter, it's not hard.

But setting up a tent in a shelter, as well as taking an inappropriate and unfair ammount of space that might be utilized or needed by other people who arrive later, is anti-social and rude.

If you're worried about bugs or feel the need for privacy, well that's what your tent is for and that's why you find a nice place to pitch it.

Oh, I've also been around when people who set up their tents in shelters were obviously engaged in intimate behavior therein.....despite the presence of other people a few feet away.

The yuck factor here is pretty much indescribable.

Quote Originally Posted by toolshed View Post
    i find it annoying for those that might use shelters and aren't agressive enough to tell them to move the damn tent out of the shelter, but since i don't stay in them, i just shake my head at the foolishness and keep moving along....
    +1..........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Recently we, my husband and I, set up our tent in a shelter (Woods Hole Shelter) on our way up over Blood Mountain. There were three other hikers there and we asked them if they minded...and they said no, they did not as there was plenty of room. It was a very cold (18F with 40mph winds) night and the tent did help keep the drafts down some. Wood Hole Shelter was very exposed out on a spur and the wind was hitting it broadside...and whoever said it earlier...the floor was a great heat loss. The kids put down a tarp and slept on it and we had the tent floor and our mats. We all got along fine and the other hikers said they wished they'd brought a tent or they'd have done the same as we did.

If someone else had showed up without a tent or needed the shelter space, we would have moved the tent out..it would have been very easy to pick it up and move it sleeping bags and all...it's one big unit when assembled...but no one did come in after dark.

Trees and branches were falling all night and one landed on top of the shelter and then fell over to where I had originally planned to put up our tent until the three other hikers there said they were OK with us putting it in the shelter. Lucky for us we were not out there but in the shelter instead..it was a big branch.

Hanky panky never entered our minds...way too cold and close quarters for me...but I have to agree that would be nasty to have to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Shelter Leopard is correct.

Oh, I've also been around when people who set up their tents in shelters were obviously engaged in intimate behavior therein.....despite the presence of other people a few feet away.

The yuck factor here is pretty much indescribable.
    So, pretty much like being at college then.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++